• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Anyone rocking twin Turbos?

CaliHummer

Active Member
Messages
39
Location
OC, California
Hey guys seriously thinking about rocking twin turbos, + a tune to get better MPG/more HP but is there any problems I'd run into though? My uncle keeps telling me its not ment for a 4x4 truck and all these problems that comes along with it, but I'm skeptical thats he's right. Any opnions?
Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk
 

High Five H2

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,627
Location
West Texas
he's right. you'll get more high end power, and that's good for highway driving, but not for low end power where you need it most off road. it's not going to do anything good for your fuel economy, though.
 

Chocflip201

In the Rocky Mountains
Messages
585
Location
Utah
Especially because you won't be able to keep your foot off the skinny pedal. Your drivetrain and mpgs will suffer.
 

Chocflip201

In the Rocky Mountains
Messages
585
Location
Utah
And why a twin over a regular single turbo? A VVT or even supercharger would be better than twins anyways.
 

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Messages
3,718
Location
Indianapolis, IN
I wouldnt, last thing you want is boost kicking in when you are trying to mitigate just the right amount of power the help you get over an obstacle. (not sure if that actually happens but i wouldnt want to worry about it) as jallen9 said, it isn't really going to help the low end of the torque curve.
 

abearden

Well-Known Member
Messages
609
Location
N. Idaho
Really expensive way to drop your day-to-day MPG. Boost kicking in would depend on how the wastegate is tuned, but if you're smooth on the throttle it won't matter. That said, increases the complexity and the heat from the motor: neither are good offroad. Twin turbos are an absolute pain to tune right, too (have you figured out if you want parallel or sequential yet?). Jallen also nailed the high-rev power point: you've got to spin your motor up to have any effect so unless you're going to put some really strong axles in and bounce your way through obstacles east-coast buggy style, it won't do anything for you offroad. If you really have to have forced induction for offroad, a supercharger is a better bet. Much more linear torque and you don't get turbo lag. Also much more expensive.

To be honest, it sounds like you've got googly eyes for buzzwords. Also sounds like your uncle has the right idea. Best bet? Meet up with some of the old grizzled guys at an outing or 4x4 meet and talk just enough to get them started. Then listen. Listen a lot. Ask questions. Lots of them have been there and done that, so they can tell you the effects of NA versus a turbo versus twins versus a super.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
I've contemplated this. The i5 is gutless. I contacted the only company I know of who makes superchargers for the i5 and they wanted 5k for just the blower! Id have to source my own intercooler, hardware, injectors, lines, etc. **** that! Too much money...

I looked into turboing the i5 and it seems MUCH more doable. This would not be for offroad power, it would be street oriented. First off turbos are off the shelf items that can be picked up much cheaper then a supercharger. You can choose the type of turbo you want to get so you can have the kind of boost you want and when you want it to kick in. Also finding someone to make headers for the turbo is a lot easier then finding an entire supercharger. Plus your killing 2 birds with one stone. Performance headers and turbo.

The Colorado guys have been turboing their 5 bangers with 11lbs of boost on stock internals with no issues. For reliability if I was to do it I would do low boost like 6-8lbs. Low spool turbo to have it make power at 2k. The h3 needs that get up and go. The turbo can help that. They can make over 300 to the wheels from what I have seen on the Colorado guys.

I will look into turbos later on. I have a SAS to do first and in an attempt to make a good all around vehicle I think it needs some more power to get out of its own way, whether it's on the street, sand or in the desert going fast. Mud and rocks the turbo is useless that's what 4lo is for.
 

CaliHummer

Active Member
Messages
39
Location
OC, California
Looks like I need to do some more research, which I am it's about 2:45am here. So it seems I should be looking more into a super charger than a turbo charger. The only reason I was considering a turbo was because the mechanic I take my h2 to recommended it to me and he told me he would get me up to around 600Hp give or take.
But from further research it seems like super chargers are more risky? Having to worry about the transmission. Or is there a super charger out there that adds a good amount HP/Torque without putting significant stress on the transmission?
Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk
 

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
Not for trucks? your uncle is on crack, sorry. Try to avoid him (or make him share if that's your thing). :giggle:

Manufacturers have put turbos on diesels forever - and you can put a turbo on your Hummer, however, fitting it will be an issue.... why twin turbos? it takes twice the space.


.... and for the rest - broad, generalized statements like "the transmission can't handle it" aren't true.... please stop those. Monster transmission builds a 4L60E that can handle 600 lbs torque - and the best part about turbos is they don't hit hard unless you launch off the limiter

Stress on parts, I know people who drive 1000 hp daily and have never broke anything. Others, they can break a stock Honda. Me? I've broken stock cars and highly modified cars. I've also owned some pretty fast cars that I did nothing but add faster parts and change the oil (paradoxically, that was true also with my race car).
 
Last edited:

LagunaH1

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,730
Location
Idaho
Some good points has been brought up both pro and cons.

Turbos *can* be set up to have little lag and to deliver torque at low RPM, both my H1 and my Passat TDI are examples of that very thing. If you were to do this, keep in mind the added complexity, and also do some research in to how much you'd need to strengthen the entire drive train to handle the added torque.

Does your mechanic have a good track record of making these types of modifications? Any chance he could put you in touch with a customer who had the mods done?
 

Chocflip201

In the Rocky Mountains
Messages
585
Location
Utah
I alter my statement. I don't feel a stock H3 4L60E can handle it. A Raptor 4L60E? Probably. A built w/aftermarket parts 4L60E? Sure.

*edit doh! Sorry just noticed this was in the H2 forum. I had assumed H3, sorry.
 
Last edited:
S

SedonaBound

Guest
You'd do much better to trade for an '08 or later H2 with the HO engine and 6-speed from the factory. Base engine beginning in 08 was the 393 HP 6.2 Vortec and I believe there was an optional engine in the 460 HP range. Reviews list 0-60 in a very respectable 7.2 sec.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

LoJac963

Well-Known Member
Messages
491
Location
Surprise, AZ
I'm going to agree with the SC route. When I had my GTO (same engine but aluminum) there were a handful of guys running twin turbos. Between break downs and retuning, those guys had their cars in the shop more than on the road. If you want reliability and better power throughout more of the curve then you'd be better off with a SC.
 

Hayden

Toyo M/T
Messages
284
Location
Virginia, US
Id rather supercharge, more linear power i believe. But i'll never run one on mine haha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
I'm going to agree with the SC route. When I had my GTO (same engine but aluminum) there were a handful of guys running twin turbos. Between break downs and retuning, those guys had their cars in the shop more than on the road. If you want reliability and better power throughout more of the curve then you'd be better off with a SC.
The H3 Alpha has an all aluminum 5.3

I think the supercharger is a lot easier to package and provides all the hp you motor can handle in stock spec.... if you go much more than 100 hp, in stock trim and in such a weighty vehicle, you're asking for troubles.
 

HUMMERDAD

Well-Known Member
Messages
141
Location
GraysLake IL
I see a lot of talk about the difference between the blower and the twine turbo but nothing about space. There's not a lot of room in there plus you have to allow for heat too I can see one but two turbo's not so sure. the 6.0 is capable of producing impressive amounts of horsepower we all know this. GM has used it many plat forms and proved it to be a great motor that's where I would look for ways to see what can be done go to the hotroders. they have probably all ready done it and you can see if it will work in the H2 or not. I'm sure someone has twin turbo a 6.0 before just in what who knows.
 

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
there are lots of twin-turbo 6.0 LS motors - look no further than what people are doing with their Corvettes - and heat isn't really that much of an issue with blankets, wraps, and the other stuff available to keep the under-hood temps down.... but the room required for a turbo must include a large by huge intercooler and the associated pipes. The turbos are the small bit, but do you have enough room to put a 12"x36"x6" intercooler behind the grill? will you have to put it where Ford put theirs on their ecoboost trucks (below the bumper)? The benefit of a top-mounted supercharger is the cooler is integral with the base, and as water-air intercoolers are much more efficient than air-air, the coolers can all be smaller to get the same effect.
 

atvspeed4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,211
Location
massachusetts
There are a few twin turbo first gen H2 out there. I am not sure if there is links to the builds but YouTube has their dyno runs. If you are going for big HP I would just get the kit to swap in a 4l80E

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
 

Diode Dynamics

LED Lighting Experts
Messages
486
Location
St. Louis, MO
Has anyone actually turbo'd an H3? I can't say I've ever seen one before

A positive displacement supercharger would definitely be a more reliable route to take IMO

Nick C.
 
Top