• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Any of you dealt with GM extended warranties?

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
Just came out of warranty a few weeks ago & got a few things that worry me...


Just wondering if any of you have dealt with value guard or basic guard? I'm just looking to cover powertrain items that are likely to break while wheeling.


Any other good options?
 

Scarsman

Sponsor
Messages
1,561
Location
Monroe, WA
I got their master guard, I think it's called, when we got our H2. I have been very happy with it. No oxides getting things fixed, I get a rental car if they need to keep it, and no hassle at all. They fixed my broken rear axle no questions.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
 

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
10,529
Location
Central Texas
I got the GMPP/Master Guard on the H3 when it went out of warranty. It has paid for itself a couple of times. I have had no issues with them fixing things under it. I got an extra 45,000 miles when I was just under 50K on the odometer. I am at about 75K now.
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
I'm mostly trying to figure out if the extended powertrain warranties include the 4wd components... my dealer doesn't think so.


Value guard:

Transmission / Transaxle

  • Case and all internal parts
  • Torque converter
  • Transfer case
  • Vacuum modulator
  • Transmission mounts
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Input/output shafts

  • Forward and intermediate clutch
  • Direct clutch
  • Bands
  • Governor
  • Thrust bearings,washers
  • Electronic control unit



Front / Rear- wheel-drive components

FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE
  • Final drive housing and all internal parts
  • Axle shafts and axle shaft bearings
  • Constant velocity joints
  • Axle housing and all internal parts
  • Wheel bearings
  • Axle/supports
  • Front hub bearings
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Differential, bearings and case

REAR-WHEEL DRIVE
  • Axle shafts and axle shaft bearings
  • Axle housing and all internal parts
  • Propeller shafts
  • "U" joints
  • Wheel bearings
  • Locking hubs
  • Rear axle hub bearings
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Differential side, pinion gears
  • Disc or cone-limited slip


Basic guard

Transmission / Transaxle

  • Case and all internal parts
  • Torque converter
  • Transfer case
  • Vacuum modulator
  • Transmission mounts
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Input/output shafts

  • Forward and intermediate clutch
  • Direct clutch
  • Bands
  • Governor
  • Thrust bearings,washers
  • Electronic control unit






Front / Rear- wheel-drive components

FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE
  • Final drive housing and all internal parts
  • Axle shafts and axle shaft bearings
  • Constant velocity joints
  • Axle housing and all internal parts
  • Wheel bearings
  • Axle/supports
  • Front hub bearings
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Differential, bearings and case

REAR-WHEEL DRIVE
  • Axle shafts and axle shaft bearings
  • Axle housing and all internal parts
  • Propeller shafts
  • "U" joints
  • Wheel bearings
  • Locking hubs
  • Rear axle hub bearings
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Differential side, pinion gears
  • Disc or cone-limited slip



But when you go to the major guard, they just show what they don't cover. My dealer seems to think because they only list FWD & RWD that they don't cover AWD/ 4WD... seems odd to me.


I don't see t-case in there, but seems to me that most other items are there, but my dealer seems to think Major is the only way I can get covered... seems odd to me.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
I would get it...It was probably my biggest regret for my 3. At this point it doesnt matter, as I would be 10k miles out of the extended warranty even if I did have it, but it would of helped quite a bit between 50k to 90k.
 

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
10,529
Location
Central Texas
My understanding is that Major Guard basically covers everything. I have not had any of the 4wd components go out but I will check my paperwork and see what it says.
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
That's the thing though, I don't want (IE: can't afford) major guard, I just want to get back to having a powertrain warranty. I'm just trying to figure out if that really WILL cover the powertrain or not, as my dealer seems to think not, but that seems really odd to me.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,670
Location
Scottsdale
Powertrain covers a lot but the coverage varies by model year. I had a lot of 4WD components covered by the warranty.

As for the GMPP, can you buy it after your warranty expires? I was under the impression that it had to be purchased before the warranty expired.
 

Steve #1

Well-Known Member
Messages
534
Location
TEXAS
I'm mostly trying to figure out if the extended powertrain warranties include the 4wd components... my dealer doesn't think so.


Value guard:

Transmission / Transaxle


  • Case and all internal parts
  • Torque converter
  • Transfer case
  • Vacuum modulator
  • Transmission mounts
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Input/output shafts


  • Forward and intermediate clutch
  • Direct clutch
  • Bands
  • Governor
  • Thrust bearings,washers
  • Electronic control unit



Front / Rear- wheel-drive components

FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE
  • Final drive housing and all internal parts
  • Axle shafts and axle shaft bearings
  • Constant velocity joints
  • Axle housing and all internal parts
  • Wheel bearings
  • Axle/supports
  • Front hub bearings
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Differential, bearings and case

REAR-WHEEL DRIVE
  • Axle shafts and axle shaft bearings
  • Axle housing and all internal parts
  • Propeller shafts
  • "U" joints
  • Wheel bearings
  • Locking hubs
  • Rear axle hub bearings
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Differential side, pinion gears
  • Disc or cone-limited slip
Basic guard

Transmission / Transaxle


  • Case and all internal parts
  • Torque converter
  • Transfer case
  • Vacuum modulator
  • Transmission mounts
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Input/output shafts


  • Forward and intermediate clutch
  • Direct clutch
  • Bands
  • Governor
  • Thrust bearings,washers
  • Electronic control unit




Front / Rear- wheel-drive components

FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE
  • Final drive housing and all internal parts
  • Axle shafts and axle shaft bearings
  • Constant velocity joints
  • Axle housing and all internal parts
  • Wheel bearings
  • Axle/supports
  • Front hub bearings
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Differential, bearings and case

REAR-WHEEL DRIVE
  • Axle shafts and axle shaft bearings
  • Axle housing and all internal parts
  • Propeller shafts
  • "U" joints
  • Wheel bearings
  • Locking hubs
  • Rear axle hub bearings
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Differential side, pinion gears
  • Disc or cone-limited slip



But when you go to the major guard, they just show what they don't cover. My dealer seems to think because they only list FWD & RWD that they don't cover AWD/ 4WD... seems odd to me.


I don't see t-case in there, but seems to me that most other items are there, but my dealer seems to think Major is the only way I can get covered... seems odd to me.

Both of these show that they cover the transfer case. :confused:
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,670
Location
Scottsdale
The free GM 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty also covers the transfer case. Double check your own paperwork, but mine was covered by it.
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
I'm already past that point (4/31/07-4/31/12). I'm just trying to extend exactly that. Talking to my dealer, and talking to the 800 number on the link from bigunit... USELESS. neither had a clue what was covered unless I got majorguard which is pretty darn pricey & not offered for as long as the others. I'd think that more folks would get whatever extends what they've currently got, I'm just looking to not gain but not lose coverages. (and apparently, learn to read in the process!)
 
Top