• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Alpha Front Diff Questions

USMC_315

So I picked up an entire front diff/axle off of an Adventure packaged I5 from Rascole a while back. It's finally about to be installed, but I have a couple of things I want to verify before I accidentally tell my shop the wrong thing...

I understand that Adventure packaged I5's come with a cast iron housing and the e-lockers. I also know that "base" Alpha's came with cast iron housings. The question is, will the locking diff from the I5 fit into the housing of my base Alpha even though it didn't come with lockers from the factory? Additionally, is the entire axle/housing swappable? I'm wondering if it is worth swapping out the entire housing or if it would be easier and/or cheaper to just swap internals.... What are your opinions on the matter? Should I do a full swap or just swap the internals?

EndeavoredH3

So I picked up an entire front diff/axle off of an Adventure packaged I5 from Rascole a while back. It's finally about to be installed, but I have a couple of things I want to verify before I accidentally tell my shop the wrong thing...

I understand that Adventure packaged I5's come with a cast iron housing and the e-lockers. I also know that "base" Alpha's came with cast iron housings. The question is, will the locking diff from the I5 fit into the housing of my base Alpha even though it didn't come with lockers from the factory? Additionally, is the entire axle/housing swappable? I'm wondering if it is worth swapping out the entire housing or if it would be easier and/or cheaper to just swap internals.... What are your opinions on the matter? Should I do a full swap or just swap the internals?
Yes, the locker carrier is the same and will swap just fine. Just make sure to verify measurements/backlash as it’s a different housing and may need to be shimmed differently.

Keep in mind that the I5’s are 4.56 gears and that a base alpha diff is 4.10. So you’ll be swapping out internals regardless as rascoles front diff won’t just swap due to a difference in gear ratio. Unless the rear is 4.56.