• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Abntroop's 08' H3 Alpha build

Bananatank

So are you not using the other grille lights above your 20' led light bar anymore since the winch blocks them now or did you remove them?

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
They're there, but only about 1/4 of each light peeks out from either side of the winch. There's about 4-5" of clearance between the lamp lenses and the rear of the winch, so they still cast light, it's just forced out diagonally sideways. I doubt I'll use them much with the LED bar taking over their duties.

Bananatank

They're there, but only about 1/4 of each light peeks out from either side of the winch. There's about 4-5" of clearance between the lamp lenses and the rear of the winch, so they still cast light, it's just forced out diagonally sideways. I doubt I'll use them much with the LED bar taking over their duties.

Alright i gotcha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
well, the wife and I decided to try something different for our exploring this year. Stepping away from years of different model ground tents, various air mattresses from low profile hiking setups, to as cushy as can be, and have decided to try a RTT. Just purchased the Mt. Shasta RTT from Cascadia Vehicle Tents just down the road from us in Bend, Or. The Owner was very friendly, and patient with my questions, and their customer service is top notch. Going to pick it up in a few weeks and give it a good run over the long Memorial Day weekend.
http://www.cascadiatents.com/index.php?m=94&s=594&c=&id=116

SuperBuickGuy

I've got a SAR field exercise coming up - so I'm considering a roof-top deal as well; but I'm not convinced a roof-top is the way to go. I was thinking about making my roof rack that I'm rebuilding - making a top piece to fold out to the side and perhaps connect to the rock rails - that would give me a 65x96 platform upon which to put up a 3 man tent. I'd simply strap it down to the rails....

what am I not considering that would make what you're purchasing better? I'll use this thing once a year (so I can remove the fold out section).... I might use it more, but when the Land Rover is done; I'll be more apt to use it since it will get 3x the mpg

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
yeah, we spend the majority of our weekends off one place and another throughout the summer and early fall, and typically a week-2 weeks consecutively out in some pretty remote stuff annually, so I imagine it'll see as much use as the rest of our gear has. I drag my feet so much when it comes to doing anything other than camping and exploring during the summer months. :giggle:

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 385
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 431

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
Yeah, it's a loaner until our Shasta comes in, but used it this weekend, and enjoyed it very much! Had one hell of a windstorm come through and we were the only ones not rushing off to batten down the hatches.

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
I did indeed and bobby and his crew are top notch! Well worth the drive, especially with some great camping locations locally to put the tent to use right off the bat

SuperBuickGuy

I did indeed and bobby and his crew are top notch! Well worth the drive, especially with some great camping locations locally to put the tent to use right off the bat

The $200 shipping fee pretty much guarantees I'll drive for it. Best part, I have to deliver my 50 Buick to get its top chopped in Dufur, OR - about half way from Seattle to Bend on the east side of the mountains - drop the car and trailer, pick the trailer up on the way back... dialed.

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
Got my Sy-Klone prefilter mounted up and my bracket and rotopax's mounted
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 411
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 431
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 432

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
Figured out where I wanted the bracket, marked it, pulled spare, marked holes, drilled, tapped, reinforced areas where there wasn't any internal frame to drill/ tap into, then mounted. Pulled it out of my @ss

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
Rear leaf springs were sagging bad. Still going to replace them, but got tired of lowering my front end, so installed air bags, and the rear with Swartzy's extend d shackles went from 23" roughly to 25 1/2 from center of hub to bottom of fender. Then cranked front back up to 23 1/2. Rides so smooth! Lovin it!
edb8122a9c6f7e4445112e74cb4754ff.jpg