• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

08 Hummer H3 Base build

08H3I5

congrats man i think 20k is a good deal for medium mileage trucks that haven't had the $hit wheeled out of em. it's cool you took the whole front off and your mods. divin in like that you will fit in perfect here :cheers:

Been diving in head first since I was a kid in the garage with my uncles. They always told me you will never learn anything if you don't try to. Never had a dad there to give me that influence like they did. Guess I got lucky there.

4speedfunk

Your next mod will be picking-up a bunch of broken rear LED lights, license plate, and trailer socket off the trail. If you plan to do any off-roading...you might want to move all that stuff while its in one piece.

08H3I5

Your next mod will be picking-up a bunch of broken rear LED lights, license plate, and trailer socket off the trail. If you plan to do any off-roading...you might want to move all that stuff while its in one piece.

All of that is mounted above the lowest point, the receiver itself but thanks for the concern though. Besides for me to do any serious off roading I would have to do some traveling cause there is not any good spots around central Oklahoma. And at some point I am sure I will end up hitting a couple trails around the state, when and if anything breaks then that's just a reason to mod it to be better. The biggest thing though is I mentioned at the begining of this thread that my H3 is a daily driver with mild off roading. The off road part comes in when I go hunting generally.

n8rfastback

How did you connect the tranny cooler houses to the existing lines in the tranny? Got any pics? I wanna do this soon to mine.

Sent from Nates phone...

08H3I5

How did you connect the tranny cooler houses to the existing lines in the tranny? Got any pics? I wanna do this soon to mine.

Sent from Nates phone...

Completly bypassed the tranny cooler in the rediator. That way if it fails I wont loose my tranny or engine to contamination.

Its hard to see in this picture but if you look at the right (passanger side) line you can see the hose go directly onto the metal line. I used some left over line to make isolaters for the lines when I zip tied them to the sway bar....

I think the cooleer will be big enough considering its ment to go in line with a factory radiator and cool a 18,000lb rig towing up to 3500lbs. So far no problems other than the mess the radiator made after install leaking out the rest of the tranny fluid in it. No big deal though.

Last edited:

n8rfastback

So no leaks from just clamping the hoses onto the stock pipes?

I plan to do this then cap off the stock radiator openings...

Sent from Nates phone...

08H3I5

The best way to do it ( that I didnt do at the time ) would be to cut off about 3/4 to 1 inch from the factory lines to use to fab a plug for the radiator. Then use a double flairing tool and flair the ends of the tranny lines to give the new hose something to grip to. I will be doing this in a couple of weeks after my trip this weekend. I was just in a hurry to get it on before my 1500 mill round trip so I dont get a failure on the way to or from my parents in Alabama from Oklahoma.....

08H3I5

So the H3 made the long treck from Oklahoma to Alabama and back. Ride was awesome and MPG was well....marginal. Cooler must have kept things in decent operating temp cause I didnt notice any issues with shifting or slipping. However I have noticed lately a hesitationi around 50MPH? maybe a dirty Throttle Body but IDK

I also took the plung into the leveling of my H3 last night.. Set to 23.75 going to see where it settles at tonight. I love the way it looks and rides now though.

[/URL

[URL=http://s876.photobucket.com/user/88gmchog/media/Bubbles/null_zps1dfef481.jpg.html]

Still debating on if I am going to bedliner the fenders though?

08H3I5

Well "bubbles" is in the shop for a alignment after leveling and a new set of Destination AT's in 285/75/16. Decided 33 was big enough considering how I use my H3. Maybe next time I might go 315's but not this time.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Congrats! Can't wait to see pics of Bubbles and her 2 new pairs of shoes. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapataint

08H3I5

Congrats! Can't wait to see pics of Bubbles and her 2 new pairs of shoes. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapataint

BANG!

To most it dont look like alot but it sure drives like it was lifted alot. They done a good job on the alignment from what I can tell. But I was driving and hit a nasty bump and herd a clanking sound like something fell off! I pulled over and gave her a look over and nothing looked like it was missing, but it sure scared the hell out of me. I think some idiot left a wrench laying on the frame or something..... God knows I have done that before.

08H3I5

Well bubbles lost her nerf bars, got the plastidip treatment on the grill and door emblems and a new set of Rancho RS5000 shocks.

Also she got another coolant system flush, new fan clutch and a set of 9005 bulbs for fog lights and a new harness for them.