• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

How do I know if I have the plastic shift fork?

telemike

Hummer Enthusiast
I have an early 2007 H3 Adventure with the older style door switches. Is there a VIN# or build date when the plastic fork was updated?

SuperBuickGuy

not to my knowledge - if it broke, they replaced it. If it was done under warranty, GM has records of everything they ever did to every VIN since the early 2000s

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
In regard to production changes, yes, GM engineering should have a record of every change made to every component, but it would not be known to a dealer database, unless it was made part of a product bulletin. The record is needed in case of a future recall, they have to know what vehicles to recall with certain items. (I say should, since the last days of the old GM was a cluster F and who knows what was going on in Shreveport.)

Forgot to add, unless your t/case has been rebuilt, you have a 100 percent chance of having the plastic shift fork. And there is more to it for all 2006 and early 2007 H3s and it is in regard to t/case fluid fill levels.
\
If your VIN is 56TDN13E778100102 or earlier, you need to add fluid through the VSS hole; not the fill hole. Unless your t/case has been replaced by a later model t/case.

I believe I posted all this info on this site earlier in regard to this screw up by BW.

Last edited:

digglesworth

I have an 06 and I have a tag on my t-case warning of the need to add extra fluid. I assume this was put on by a dealer... Is that all they wouldve done or would they have replaced the plastic fork or is that a separate issue?

atvspeed4

Yours may already be junk and you wouldnt know it. My 2nd H3 would shift between low and Hi range fine but would not lock the center diff. I had 4lo open... The mechanic said it was a mess when he opened it up. I have a video somewhere of me trying to climb a large rock face and the rear tires were spinning and the fronts would spin only when the traction control would pulse the brakes on the rear. 90% of the time wheeling I would not notice a problem as the traction control works pretty well. As I began to do more technical trails it became very apparent.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
In regard to production changes, yes, GM engineering should have a record of every change made to every component, but it would not be known to a dealer database, unless it was made part of a product bulletin. The record is needed in case of a future recall, they have to know what vehicles to recall with certain items. (I say should, since the last days of the old GM was a cluster F and who knows what was going on in Shreveport.)

Forgot to add, unless your t/case has been rebuilt, you have a 100 percent chance of having the plastic shift fork. And there is more to it for all 2006 and early 2007 H3s and it is in regard to t/case fluid fill levels.
\
If your VIN is 56TDN13E778100102 or earlier, you need to add fluid through the VSS hole; not the fill hole. Unless your t/case has been replaced by a later model t/case.

I believe I posted all this info on this site earlier in regard to this screw up by BW.

All early 2006 H3s were shipped with the t/case fluid low. Dealer was SUPPOSED (when I picked up my early 06, the dealer had not even read the bulletin, so I say SUPPOSED to) to check fluid level, then add x-amount of fluid through the VSS hole. Then after a certain time, vehicles were shipped with a green dot, signifying that the t/case had been shipped with the correct amount of fluid. Then in mid-2007, the t/case was slightly changed and the correct amount of fluid was added. (Basically, the early t/cases had an incorrect angle to the fluid level. GM found this out because the forks were destroying themselves, especially if the vehicle was ever used in 4x4 low).

Here is information on filling a t/case....
Remove the drain plug and allow the t/case to drain.
After draining fluid, install pipe sealant to the drain plug and torque to 18 lb ft or 25 N.m.
Remove the t/case fill plug, and fill to bottom of fill plug hole:
for all 2006 Model Year Vehicles and for 2007 model year vehicles if the VIN is 56TDN13E778100102 or prior:
Remove the speed sensor connector (top rear of t/case), then remove the speed sensor.
Add 250 ml (8.45 oz) of manual transmission and transfer case fluid through the speed sensor hole.
Install the speed sensor and tighten to 13 lb ft or 17 N·m. Then install the speed sensor connector to the speed sensor.
This additional fluid is needed.

Adding fluid into the speed sensor hole is not required for 2007 vehicles built after 56TDN13E778100102 or 2008 vehicles.

As for the plastic fork, believe they were replaced with metal in either 2008 or 2009; not sure anymore. However, my 2008 has been pretty well punished and no problems, and I know for a fact, NEOs 06 has been punished and his t/case is ok. So it was a failure that not all H3s will see.

Last edited:

telemike

Hummer Enthusiast
mejypeme.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

digglesworth

How extensive of a job is it to pull the tcase and change the fork? I can't imagine the kit would be crazy expensive....

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Probably not, but can almost guarantee that, until it actually fails, they won't do ****. You're way off the factory issued warranty. I would advise to stop fretting about it until it actually fails. There are a thousands of H3s out there, some off-roaded more seriously than your is or will be and they have not had any problems. Front axle is weak too and if not off-roaded correctly can fail, transmission is not the strongest in the world so it could fail too. Just saying, items fail and being the nature of the failure(s), they fail in the worst places.

Last edited:

Teahead

I don't understand.

Did GM replace the shift fork on 2008 or later H3s? Or were ALL 2006-2010 use plastic forks?

Happy Hummer

What I don't understand is the need to keep dredging up old thread! Start a new thread and link this old ass one to it.
IMHO

Nikal

What I don't understand is the need to keep dredging up old thread! Start a new thread and link this old ass one to it.
IMHO
Why not? Why start a whole new thread when there is one already started that could have valuable info, thst I or someone else would not have seen. Plus why have multiple threads about the same thing? Continue an old thread makes searching easier as you don’t have multiple threads to search for and read through. This forum and the other Hummer forum are the only ones I’ve ever been too that gets so bent on someone searching and posting on an old thread.

The best part of any forum is its historical cataloging of content & its value. Especially a forum like this where the main topic (Hummer) is obsolete and your best friend is historical information.

Teahead

Amen.

I don't know why Hummer forums are so anal about this.

I belong to about 20 different forums and only the Hummer forums are nazis about old thread bumping.

zebra

Why not? Why start a whole new thread when there is one already started that could have valuable info, thst I or someone else would not have seen. Plus why have multiple threads about the same thing? Continue an old thread makes searching easier as you don’t have multiple threads to search for and read through. This forum and the other Hummer forum are the only ones I’ve ever been too that gets so bent on someone searching and posting on an old thread.

The best part of any forum is its historical cataloging of content & its value. Especially a forum like this where the main topic (Hummer) is obsolete and your best friend is historical information.
i'm in this camp. that's why forums have search functions.

Sbc350_h3

Wasn't that bad to change it I believe it took me like 2 hrs to do. I did a video on it when I had facebook and posted how to do it in the fb group