• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Radiator recommendations

Backporch73

Radiator cracked in the Phoenix heat, any suggestions on what to replace it with? I'm doing an e fan conversion as well. Are the aluminum radiators worth it? Thanks in advance :)

Roastbeast

Just ordered number 2 yesterday. I just get one off eBay around 88 bucks delivered. Last one lasted 5-6 years. Stock lasted 6-7. They are very similar If you look around it seems these just don’t last that long.

Iwillnc

Personally if you want something REALLY good find a custom radiator shop and write big numbers on a check.

Otherwise I went with a GM OEM as my stock one lasted 15 years and the new GM part is supposed to be updated and better.

rascole

Can not recommend CSF aluminum, to many failures. I recently bought an ebay one for $82 that is a CSF OEM replacement, added a external tranny cooler and working good so far.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Since I have an external transmission cooler, I went OEM radiator for the 5 speed trucks, without an internal trans cooler. My eBay special radiator's neck was a few thousands too large and I had wrap silicone tape around the cap to get it to seal. It worked for a few years, believe it or not, but the OEM ones can be affordable so I just stuck with it. $185 on rockauto right now https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/hummer,2007,h3,3.7l+l5,1433659,cooling+system,radiator,217

Which efan conversion are you doing?

Clark

Stay away from CSF and Champion aluminum radiators!!! I had 2 Champions and one CSF the 3 blew on me in just over 1 year
when the warranty expired. "just my luck"

Last edited:

Happy Hummer

First time chose to buy ac delco OEM and paid a princely sum. It cr@p out after a few years with the big crack across the top. The next one came from vatozone. Lifetime warranty.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The funny thing about some lifetime warranties - how many times is it worth replacing? My O'Reilly power steering pump lasted 10 days. They offered a free lifetime replacement. As I don't enjoy replacing power steering pumps I declined, asked for my money back and got an AC Delco which has lasted four and a half years so far. Obviously everyone has different experiences which is the whole point of these discussions.

SlcHummer

The funny thing about some lifetime warranties - how many times is it worth replacing? My O'Reilly power steering pump lasted 10 days. They offered a free lifetime replacement. As I don't enjoy replacing power steering pumps I declined, asked for my money back and got an AC Delco which has lasted four and a half years so far. Obviously everyone has different experiences which is the whole point of these discussions.

Agreed. I do find working on my vehicle relaxing...but only when I'm adding a mod or improving my rig, not when I'm replacing a radiator or power steering pump. In that case I'd rather replace with OEM and hopefully be good for 5-10 years.

Roastbeast

My eBay 88 dollar radiator lasted one year less than that stock gm. The eBay one has a lifetime warranty. Gm did not. I will take that as a win lol. I don’t mind swapping out it. Gets your mind off things and feels good fixing something

Backporch73

Radiator Kabooommmm!!!!!

Hi everyone! So my fan broke and sent a piece flying into the radiator which then popped and my hummer began overheating. I've decided that with temperatures of 117 degrees here in Tempe, AZ to install an all aluminum radiator and an Electrical Fan. OK so the new radiator is installed and the E Fan, I have questions about the last two wires. One says "Attach to AC clutch positive wire" and the other says "Attach to ignition source." Any ideas on this? Where is a good ignition source to tap the wire into? And the AC clutch wire, I'm guessing I have to remove the front drivers side wheel to even see it? Here's a few pics, I only have these two wires left. I had one guy tell me to wire then to the fuse box but I haven't done that in 25 years and even back then it was just a stereo. I'm not the greatest at wiring (obviously) and am a little intimidated. Any help would be appreciated thanks

IMG_20200723_140619.jpgIMG_20200723_140611.jpgIMG_20200723_142027.jpgIMG_20200723_142031.jpgIMG_20200723_142045.jpg

Last edited:

Backporch73

Thanks for all the input guys! I did actually go with the all aluminum radiator but it's from a different source. I hope it works better than what you fellas have experienced. I also am switching to an e fan. I hope it helps, if not I guess I'll be changing it back lol!

Backporch73

Thanks alrock, I am going to hard solder everything as soon as I know all of this works properly. I've been pretty skeptical about this whole setup. I picked up some add-a-fuses from AutoZone going to wire those in tonight :)

Last edited:

Backporch73

Those add-a-fuses and that did the trick! Running well and fan is really blowing! Heat never went about 1/2 while sitting for 45 mins with AC on MAX, was pretty cold too. I never had cold ac while Idling and my heat would always be about 3/4, so well see! Thanks alrock :)

Lord_Vien

Probationary Member
Hi everyone! So my fan broke and sent a piece flying into the radiator which then popped and my hummer began overheating. I've decided that with temperatures of 117 degrees here in Tempe, AZ to install an all aluminum radiator and an Electrical Fan. OK so the new radiator is installed and the E Fan, I have questions about the last two wires. One says "Attach to AC clutch positive wire" and the other says "Attach to ignition source." Any ideas on this? Where is a good ignition source to tap the wire into? And the AC clutch wire, I'm guessing I have to remove the front drivers side wheel to even see it? Here's a few pics, I only have these two wires left. I had one guy tell me to wire then to the fuse box but I haven't done that in 25 years and even back then it was just a stereo. I'm not the greatest at wiring (obviously) and am a little intimidated. Any help would be appreciated thanks

View attachment 26493View attachment 26494View attachment 26495View attachment 26496View attachment 26497

what brand did yo go with?