• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 06 H3 6.0 and 6L90e swap

FloridaH3

What’s up guys.

Wondering if there is any interest for documentation on an LS swap, if it isn’t a DIY swap? Sitting down to finalize when I’m bringing the truck in to the shop on Tuesday. Will be getting the guys to document the process as detailed as possible with pictures and videos as I have two 06 H3’s and will be attempting the second as a DIY over summer myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atvspeed4

Interested on how you will get the 6l90e to mate to the tcase?
Exactly, we did the swap you listed and you cannot run the factory t case due to the overall length and torsion bar crossmember. 6l90 output shaft cannot safely be turned down to 27 spline due to depth of heat treat

FloridaH3

Not sure (I won’t be doing the work). It’s definitely been done though, seen a few hooked up to alphas.

Not saying factory Tcase can be used, just saying the transmission can certainly be made to work in the truck.

Alpha X

atvspeed4

Not sure (I won’t be doing the work). It’s definitely been done though, seen a few hooked up to alphas.

Not saying factory Tcase can be used, just saying the transmission can certainly be made to work in the truck.

I believe we are the only ones to have successfully done a 6l90 swap and it wasn't fun. Good luck [emoji106]

FloridaH3

Oh don’t worry guys I know it’s not easy and lots to do to make it happen. And I don’t have the space nor the expertise to do so. I will be meeting with the shop a few times to get the finances and all mapped out so they can get started and I will keep everybody updated.

And yeah I’ve read through/followed all v8 swaps, SAS’s and the 6 speed swaps. The crawling 6 speed 4 lo video was dope.

And yeah I already have the 6L90. Got an amazing deal on the combo out of a wrecked 2500 that I couldn’t pass up.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
How much longer is a 6L80e/90e then a 4l60e? That’s my next swap. Luckily my doubler t case is a tad shorter so I have some room to work with there.

atvspeed4

How much longer is a 6L80e/90e then a 4l60e? That’s my next swap. Luckily my doubler t case is a tad shorter so I have some room to work with there.
Go with the 6l80 much easier swap especially since it's 32 spline. When we measured it, the 6l80 was about 1/4" longer which works perfectly. The 6l90 was about 1.6" if I remember which does not allow the tcase to even be close to clearing the torsion bar crossmember (are you running the crossmember still with your sas?). Our next swap we are working on will be with a Camaro SS 6.2 and the 6l80

FloridaH3

Go with the 6l80 much easier swap especially since it's 32 spline. When we measured it, the 6l80 was about 1/4" longer which works perfectly. The 6l90 was about 1.6" if I remember which does not allow the tcase to even be close to clearing the torsion bar crossmember (are you running the crossmember still with your sas?). Our next swap we are working on will be with a Camaro SS 6.2 and the 6l80

Is the difficulty with the 90 compared to the 80 enough to where you would sell a 6L90 you already have and instead get a 6L80?

atvspeed4

Thanks a lot, I’ll be sure to grab one. (This is why I love this site), is noobs need all the help we can get lol

You could have a HD built 6l80 installed for half the price of getting a 6l90 to work where it will feel and be factory correct. Just make sure they do the wiring and programming right. Most of the swaps you see online are not legit and I have found by reaching out that they do not have all functionality like they should. Sure it will drive but when you go into 4lo do the shift tables switch and speedo correct? Do the reverse lights work? Make sure the shop doing the swap ensures these features work otherwise you're better getting a well built 4L65e installed. My business partner has a very expensive built 4l65 in his h2 and I honestly like the faster shift times than the 6l90 in our h3. Another important feature that we wanted that the other swaps don't have is when you put shifter into 1 it will actually hold 1st gear for hill decent etc. Also note that your shift position "3" or "2" will no longer work. And tap shift is possible but will require a non h3 shifter to work or a set of buttons with resistors.

FloridaH3

You could have a HD built 6l80 installed for half the price of getting a 6l90 to work where it will feel and be factory correct. Just make sure they do the wiring and programming right. Most of the swaps you see online are not legit and I have found by reaching out that they do not have all functionality like they should. Sure it will drive but when you go into 4lo do the shift tables switch and speedo correct? Do the reverse lights work? Make sure the shop doing the swap ensures these features work otherwise you're better getting a well built 4L65e installed. My business partner has a very expensive built 4l65 in his h2 and I honestly like the faster shift times than the 6l90 in our h3. Another important feature that we wanted that the other swaps don't have is when you put shifter into 1 it will actually hold 1st gear for hill decent etc. Also note that your shift position "3" or "2" will no longer work. And tap shift is possible but will require a non h3 shifter to work or a set of buttons with resistors.

Yeah I’m sitting down with the shop owner Tuesday for the third time to discuss all the ins and outs. I am buying 5gn’s SAS’d H3 and that’s what the engine/tranny will be going into. I won’t need the truck to run, so I won’t be giving them a deadline or anything. It will not be rushed, if it takes them 6 months then so be it. Going to give them time and creative flexibility to make it work and to make it work right. I’m with you on the, running and driving doesn’t necessarily equate to a successful integration. That’s a big reason I want to get them to document it. If they get close to done and run into some gremlins, I want to be able to share that as well as their troubleshooting process.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I wish it was easy to get the dodge 8HP70 to work with a GM vehicle but I want full integration so 6L80e it is. Does it matter what year trans I get? I’m running an E67 PCM with my 6.2

amrg

Then you need a harness adapter to interface the t43 inside the 6L transmissions. Tbms sold one for the H3 but as atvspeed4 said, it lacked several features such as telling the trans when you're in 4Lo/having reverse lights.
Im mainly interested in this since I smoked 3 trans after doing my cammed 6.2. Now with 37s im sure no.4 is coming soon. Contemplating swapping my 4.10 to 4.56 just to get some load of the trans