• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2006 H3 Cold air intake

Can007

Just finished installing a volant cold air intake. Man o Man what a difference!!!!

1710047431348.jpeg

650Hawk

Nice. Too many people put on what they claim to be "Cold Air Intakes" that actually draw hotter air from inside the engine compartment.

Can007

lol, I am not sure if it a true cold air intake (Unless you are running a scoop hood with direct airflow) but it definitely runs better.

The sad part is I am considering installing a snorkel so don’t know if I am going to keep this set up because it’s not wate proof. I am not 100% what to do.

Can007

Very nice. Would you have a part number or recommendations for purchase?
Before you buy…. Make a final decision if you want a snorkel or cold air intake. The air intake system is obsolete if you want to go with a snorkel system. Just something to consider.

I got mine from eBay…

650Hawk

lol, I am not sure if it a true cold air intake (Unless you are running a scoop hood with direct airflow) but it definitely runs better.

The sad part is I am considering installing a snorkel so don’t know if I am going to keep this set up because it’s not wate proof. I am not 100% what to do.
It's considered cold since the intake air comes from outside of the engine bay (just like stock). As for waterproof/snorkel, the stock intake location is (according to GM) good for 24" of water. Regardless, I don't see anything on a snorkel intake that would conflict with your Volant system, so...

Can007

It's considered cold since the intake air comes from outside of the engine bay (just like stock). As for waterproof/snorkel, the stock intake location is (according to GM) good for 24" of water. Regardless, I don't see anything on a snorkel intake that would conflict with your Volant system, so...

I bought the volant system thinking I would be able to use it as a true snorkel/cold air intake but the box is not water sealed like the stock box. The stock box would be better for snorkel setup. Although, I would prefer a water proof setup like some of the H4O members here.

650Hawk

I bought the volant system thinking I would be able to use it as a true snorkel/cold air intake but the box is not water sealed like the stock box. The stock box would be better for snorkel setup. Although, I would prefer a water proof setup like some of the H4O members here.
Hmmm...wonder if you could add some rubber weather stripping to seal it?

beth_davis11

Probationary Member
Before you buy…. Make a final decision if you want a snorkel or cold air intake. The air intake system is obsolete if you want to go with a snorkel system. Just something to consider.

I got mine from eBay…

Thanks for the link and the food for thought. In the beginning stages of replacing and building my refurbished

beth_davis11

Probationary Member
Thanks for the link and the food for thought. In the beginning stages of replacing and building my refurbished
Would you know if the Volant 15535 would pass emissions/CARB on the 2006 3.5L H3? Any thoughts or experience with the K & N system. I am aware they are two completely different systems. One better than the other? I'm not keen on the look of the K & N aesthetic in the engine bay but if it works I am open to it. I like the idea of the snorkel but again not sure about Cali regulations of late. Plus any performance enhancements as well. Any additional helpful information is welcomed. Thanks

Can007

Would you know if the Volant 15535 would pass emissions/CARB on the 2006 3.5L H3? Any thoughts or experience with the K & N system. I am aware they are two completely different systems. One better than the other? I'm not keen on the look of the K & N aesthetic in the engine bay but if it works I am open to it. I like the idea of the snorkel but again not sure about Cali regulations of late. Plus any performance enhancements as well. Any additional helpful information is welcomed. Thanks
1. Yes both systems would pass smog.
2. K&N will get the job done. I stopped using them for filters a while ago due to the hassle of having to clean them and putting their oil on the filter. It caused issues with the MAF so I stopped using them. But they are good filters but just need attention.
3. If you have time, I would wait and look for an air doc intake pipe. 1. That would get the job done 2. Allow to use or factory setup. 3. Allow to eventually use a snorkel. 4. Save money for a better filter.
4. Now If you don’t plan to use the snorkel and you want a different look then I would go with volant or air raid box. Any enclosed intake box will always be better