• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Front CV axle upgrade?

LShummer

I broke ring/pinion and it was Yukon gears. And because I was an idiot, I didn't pull the CV axles right away and I drove off the trail, tweaking and ruining the CI case. I haven't heard of H3 owners breaking the lockers though plenty of owners have worn them out. Of course there might be those breakages I just don't know of them.
Do you think Yukon gears were inferior? Reason I ask, before I read this I ordered a set of Yukon Gears for my front axle build up Im planning. Tried to read up on brands of ring and pinions, some people say Richmond, US Gear, or Yukon. Gm is $600, the others are $300, not sure who makes GM’s? Hard to know whats the strongest, other then trial and error.

Jeepwalker

If I had to guess, they'd be made by AAM. American Axle & Manufacturing. They do a lot of OEM for different mfgrs. I know for sure my GM replacement F driveshaft had an AAM sticker under the Delco sticker. I suspect the front axle bearing/hubs were AAM's too. But I don't have any proof of those.

Attachments

• Drive Shaft Stickerr Pic.jpg
    Drive Shaft Stickerr Pic.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21

DFW Spartan

Marked out of stock
Amazon has sold out several times in the past, but have always been able to restock. Amazon pricing fluctuates between $250 - $350. Rock Auto is typically around $280 when they have them.

There are 2 merchants on Ebay that have 1 each. One is asking $330 with free shipping. The other is $272 + $20 shipping.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Do you think Yukon gears were inferior? Reason I ask, before I read this I ordered a set of Yukon Gears for my front axle build up Im planning. Tried to read up on brands of ring and pinions, some people say Richmond, US Gear, or Yukon. Gm is $600, the others are $300, not sure who makes GM’s? Hard to know whats the strongest, other then trial and error.
No, I think they make good stuff. Just mentioning that I broke them. I used Yukon in the rebuild as well.

4speedfunk

Factory GM gears are made by AMM. They are face-hobbed (2-cut) and the heel & toe of the teeth are the same depth. Backlash clearance is .003"-.006" (tighter than aftermarket gearsets).
Yukon, G2, USA, blah blah, and most other aftermarket gears are all face-milled (5-cut). This results in a tapered depth tooth (with the heel being deeper than the toe). Backlash clearance is .006"-.010" (looser than GM).
Make sure you set up your ring & pinion for whichever style (2-cut or 5-cut) you use. Get this wrong and you'll know it in very short order.

FWIW...I use Yukon and USAgear very often on AAM-7.6IFS, AAM-8.6, and Dana 44s. Both work well, and I have yet to ever "reject" one due to quality reasons.

Anything can be broke.
Anything can be fixed.

Happy Hummer

Sure,
Colorado axle is 22.99 compressed length (27 spline wheel side) (28 spline pumpkin side).
Hummer H3 axle is 24 15/16 to 25 1/8 compressed length [depending on brand] (33 spline wheel side) (28 spline pumpkin side).