• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Small winter trail breakdown/recovery recap.

F

Former User

Well, first off i'm not too happy with the Alpha right now, granted it's treated me very well in the history of owning it, just not recently and it might be time to build a street legal trail rig and get a chevy cruze to run around in.
Friday night after work I decided to do a short snow trail up in the hills north of my house, i have done this trail dozens of times, it's short and fun. Well I made it half way through the trail when **** hit the fan. I drove over this same spot wednesday with no problem, friday's adventure didn't fair as well. It was about 8:30 pm, the front end broke through the ice first, left front cv snapped instantly leaving me with 2wd. The rear pumpkin was hung up on the center ice slab, the gas tank and tcase cross member were also hung up, and i wasn't going anywhere. My brother came out in his truck to try and tow me out of it, wasn't budging. Hooked the rhino up to his truck for a train yank, still nothing. I tried jacking up the rear axle off the ice, then yanking it back, got maybe 2" doing that. So i finally called it quits about 11:50pm when the temp read 6*. I got up there saturday morning about 10am, and the whole thing had turned to ice, the 3 was "one" with nature, frozen solid in there with over half the left rear tire frozen solid in mud/ice. So i started chipping away ice and frozen mud till 4:30, when my friend came up with his 98' SAS 4runner on 37's to try and yank me out, still nothing. At this point i'm thinking great, it's going to re freeze tonight and i'm going to be back to square one. Just as i was about to call it quits, a guy comes over the hill in a well built 80 series toyota land cruiser with a 12k lb winch, he offers his help, and if i didn't know better i would have thought it was god himself. He gets up on the flats, anchors himself well, and tries to winch me out, the whole ice hole seemed to want to come with me, it wasn't budging. So my friend in the 4runner trains up to the back of him, they both hammer down and finally she breaks loose. About half way out of the ice hole, something got wedged between the front left caliper and wheel, broke the inside of the wheel. My left rear tire was still frozen solid as it was one chunk of ice from the outside of the wheel to the leaf spring. My only tire with power was the right rear. Needless to say, he winched me up that hill as dead weight, got me to the flats and i left her there saturday night so i could go back up sunday, swap the left front tire out, and thaw out the left rear. He said he's never seen his winch get worked so hard recovering someone or himself, and wondered how much the 3 weighed haha. It took us about 45 min to get it up a 20-30* sloped hill maybe 75 yards long, i thought his winch was going to burn up, luckily it didnt. So i go up sunday, get the spair on the front, 3-4 trips with 5 gal of hot water each time and lots of chipping away ice, i finally broke the left rear tire free. Now it came time to see if i could even get out of the hills in 2wd with that awesome open rear end ;). Nope, I get stuck on the last hill and can't back down in 2wd because i kept sliding off the trail almost ending up in a ravine. I thought for sure that was going to be it's final resting place until the snow melted or i went up and replaced the cv in the hills. We finally got it up the hill with our rhino hooked 10ft in front of me, and that hooked to my friends 4runner 100ft in front of it up on the flats. I still can't believe we got it up that last hill, it was a miracle. Especially because it was starting to snow badly and it was dark by this time. So i get it to work monday, broken left front cv, bent stabilizer link, get her fixed and back on the road. Drove fine, thought it was over other than the broken wheel. Well merging off the freeway monday night, the steering wheel got real loose, then jerked to the right really hard, then to the left, then right, did that 4-5 times, i'm super lucky i didn't end up in the barrier or on my lid, so i think great i'll look at it in the next parking lot, go to take off from the first stop light, "bang, pow, snap, pop, grind, wuh wuh wuh, rpm's go up, no movement" put it in 4hi, pull into the parking lot, sure enough, rt side cv destroyed at hub side joint. Possibly hub too, haven't torn it apart yet. Might be something up with the steering gear as well not sure. But luckily i was able to limp it home and to work, where the adventure continues. I must give huge thanks to the guy with the land cruiser, my friend colton with his 4 runner, my friend taylor for being there the whole time diggin her out with me chipping away ice for what seemed like weeks, and driving the rhino. It's a great feeling to have been helped out so much, with out them it would still be in that ice hole waiting for the snow to melt. So HUGE thanks to them, i won't ever be able to repay them, but hopefully i'll be able to help them out if they ever need it, or anyone else for that matter.

None of this mud/dirt was showing before i approached it.
32.jpg
31.jpg

This is where i got winched/towd to. Didn't get any other pictures...
33.JPG

That's my latest "adventure" :no:

It's now lunch time, which means getting it in the shop and doing a tear down.

Last edited by a moderator:

08H3

Glad you eventually made it out OK. Seems like a lot of damage for no more hung up than you were. BTW, you said:

in 2wd with that awesome gov-lok that never works.

The rears are open or E-lock-- those are the only two options. There was never a limited slip option in the H3.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Sorry & hate to hear about your (or anyone else's) mis-Adventure. Hope the repairs aren't too major & you're back on the trails soon.

F

Former User

Glad you eventually made it out OK. Seems like a lot of damage for no more hung up than you were. BTW, you said:

The rears are open or E-lock-- those are the only two options. There was never a limited slip option in the H3.

Thanks, yeah that's why i'm a little upset with it. After looking at the ice hole once it was out i thought, seriously? That's what i was stuck in? That's what broke a front cv, possibly 2? But it's all good, live and learn.
Ahhh, lol, well that solves that mystery. It seems like it would sometimes "engage" while stepping on the brake lightly, but it must be the brakes doing the work than. Guess thats what i get for assuming, i should have known that by now. But you are 100% correct. I even threw my vin into the parts catalog, sure enough.

That is some "Adventure Package" for you. Good luck with repairs.

Thank you, haha yeah, if i had the adventure package i probably could have pushed those magic buttons and made it out on my own. Tough to say.

Sorry & hate to hear about your (or anyone else's) mis-Adventure. Hope the repairs aren't too major & you're back on the trails soon.

Thanks yeah it was a bummer of a weekend, and not the way i wanted to enter the new year, but it could have been worse. I could have been stuck at work! Repairs aren't too major, i'll be $500 in front axles, and who knows how much i can find a wheel, possibly 2 for, (left rear got banged up from chipping the ice). It sucks, after countless trails through out the years it's surprised me how well its done, given me lots of confidence, then something stupid like this happens and i don't even want to turn off the pavement anymore with it. Hopefully the trust will come back.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Hopefully you're past the "not happy with the Alpha" part by now--I'd rather blow those fuses (CV's) in the drivetrain than smoke the diffs and twist up a drive shaft or worse.
I never liked playing in the snow much at all--too many variables out of your control; then when things start going south it only gets worse. I suppose the worst part of it is when the sun goes down it begins to feel like this could have been your worst mistake yet.
Glad to hear you got the help needed to get it out, never even thought about the ice freezing back up around the wheel.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wheel enough and some kind of **** will happen no matter what you drive. Sounds like quite an adventure though.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Breakage and cold - ugly combination.

When I screw things up in the snow I prefer a comfy heated driver's seat and let my friends do the work :)

I'm happily inside (okay, maybe not happy) while all of this occurs
NoAZ%20Snow%20Run%20021811%20099-L.jpg

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
I want friends like yours Alex! Who the hell let's you get away with sitting in the cab while they're slushing away on your rig? Though the Canadians were really good at letting me stay out of the muck while they hooked up both my 3 and later my deuce to pull out with the H1.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Well, I was at the top of a 100'-200' hillside, held in place by thin trees and my brakes. There was no getting out of that driver's seat

Zach

Mall Crawler
Been strapped and winched before. I carry a 30k arb strap that has been used on occasion. What's the saying? If you haven't been strapped or winched you're not trying hard enough. Lol

LagunaH1

but it must be the brakes doing the work than.

Yup, that's how the H3 traction control system works. When I had my H3, I made it a point to *never* step on the brake when I wanted traction control to work. I'm told that doing so defeats TC completely.