• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Toughest trails you have ran

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I gotta look that trail up...I really want to run the rubicon with a good group. Maybe some so cal guys, a few out of state people and then someone who has ran the trail can lead...

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
You cant mate up a manual with the V8? I mean it would require cutting up the center section too but isnt it still possible?

As for the BCM I have no idea where to begin but I am sure you can figure it out..whatever the soultion is just make 2 and send one to me :)

PCM is programmed for an auto. Without it it won't run. Physically swapping to a manual is no big deal. The problem is in the electronics. Only solution I see is finding a crate engine PCM that will work for my engine. The get rid of the BCM, the first step is getting rid of the OEM PCM, so we are at square one again.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Ron B

Bebe (and probably Sewie too) knows the Rubicon very well. She's be the one to lead a group through...though her truck will leave us all in the dust!

I would love to do the 'con -- tried it once, major carnage on the Gate Keeper. Took much of the day to get the gimpy truck off the trail and back to camp. Woke up the next morning to 6" of snow and more coming so we bailed off the mountain. That was in '06...I need to make sure my AAA is up to date and get back there!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
LOL, sounds fun ron. Between you and kurt you guys have really put your rigs to the limit and I am willing to also. I just gotta wait for my AAA membership to reach a year so I can upgrade and get free 300 mile tows...

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
PCM is programmed for an auto. Without it it won't run. Physically swapping to a manual is no big deal. The problem is in the electronics. Only solution I see is finding a crate engine PCM that will work for my engine. The get rid of the BCM, the first step is getting rid of the OEM PCM, so we are at square one again.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Couldnt you just tune the pcm/bcm and other computer parts to accept the manual transmission and function with it properly? I really dont know if thats possible, just a thought

Sent via Tapatalk

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Couldnt you just tune the pcm/bcm and other computer parts to accept the manual transmission and function with it properly? I really dont know if thats possible, just a thought

Sent via Tapatalk

I wish it was that simple. V8 never came in manual configuration.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

bebe

Toughest would have to be Fordyce. Even if it hadn't snowed that trip, it very likely might have still kicked my ass. :)

Rubicon and Golden Spike would be the runners up.

Agreed.

Rubicon can be run easily in 3 days, and then we can run Fordyce in two. (The bottom half from Eagle Lakes to Committee)
The only way for rigs like ours to do it is during the week after Labor Day weekend. Anytime you all wanna go - let me know. I'm always up for it :)

LagunaH1

Hmmm.... Toughest? From a technical wheeling perspective, or pucker factor perspective? Oddly enough those two are not always the same for me.

Technically toughest (and most fun!) was the section of Golden Spike I ran in Moab in October
Most severe pucker factor: Moab Rim. There's something about the off camber, elevation and layout of the trail that gets in my head

bebe

Hmmm.... Toughest? From a technical wheeling perspective, or pucker factor perspective? Oddly enough those two are not always the same for me.

Technically toughest (and most fun!) was the section of Golden Spike I ran in Moab in October
Most severe pucker factor: Moab Rim. There's something about the off camber, elevation and layout of the trail that gets in my head

Fordyce makes:whaa: Golden Spike look like a dirt road....in spots.

Anyway - until you've done all three - it's really hard to say.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I would love to plan a rubicon trip bebe! I think that would be so cool. Best time to go is end of the summer?

MaxPF

AGNTSA
You cant mate up a manual with the V8? I mean it would require cutting up the center section too but isnt it still possible?

As for the BCM I have no idea where to begin but I am sure you can figure it out..whatever the soultion is just make 2 and send one to me :)

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Sent via Tapatalk

I wish it was that simple. V8 never came in manual configuration.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Using EFI Live it would be a simple matter to reprogram the PCM for a manual trans. Lots of swappers do it since later Gen 4 motors were never mated to manual transmissions. As for the trans, there are numerous possibilities: NV3500s and NV4500s with GM bellhousings, and even the ZF 6 speed from a DMax, will all bolt up.

Anyway, I think the worst trail I ever ran was FR21 (I think thats the right designation) on Mount Ord near Sunflower. There was nothing technically challenging on it. It had a huge pucker factor simply because I was literally scraping the drivers side of my truck on the cliff face on one side while my passenger side tires were literally hanging halfway off the edge over 60-100ft sheer dropoffs. Once on it, there is no where to turn around, so you're committed. To this day I would never go on that trail again in anything bigger than a quad or side-by-side. It's simply not wide enough for full size vehicles.

bebe

I would love to plan a rubicon trip bebe! I think that would be so cool. Best time to go is end of the summer?

After Labor Day the crowds are gone, but before the first week in October...it always seems to snow the first week of October.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
You know best when to go...I will seriously do a trip and plan it out so I can run the famous rubicon trail! If we can pick a general time maybe we can get a few others to run it...I mean I will need some guys to pull me out seeing I have been told numerous times I am not capable of running a trail like the rubicon...I dont even need to say what they drive :wink:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
BUMP! I would say to this date John bull was one of the toughest...Moab Rim messes with your mind the most.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
It is really interesting how people percieve different trails.

lol I think it's the pucker that makes a difference in perception. thinking back on it John bull wasn't too bad. The spots I got a tug on I almost made without a strap with bald tires. I think new tires would get me through all of it and a spring over would make it even easier.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
A private Jeep trail in Bennington, Vermont. I met up with a local 4x4 Club (read: Jeep Club) and was told the trails were plenty wide. I left that day with plenty of scars on the exterior, undercarriage, and self-esteem. :hans:

This was one of the wider sections, so my old man jumped out to snap a shot. This was before my 2.5 hour 4-Wrangler-powered winch recovery after snagging my frame on a log. :smack:
IMG_0428.jpg