• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

AM General to come back with Hummer Kits?

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
Quoting from Mike:

"

i have heard a couple of rumors that AM
General is thinking about releasing the H1 in a kit form. complete with any body
style, engine/trans,
interior and so on. this would be great for anyone that
wants to rebuild any hummer or convert what they already have. what do you think
if this does happen? maybe opens it up for a lot of extra parts too. "

deserth3

Let's see... If I start saving now. I'll be too old to drive by the time I can afford one and then put it together.
Other than that. Sounds kind of cool.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Already posted my thoughts. Hopefully it is a step toward AMG producing the civilian H1 again. I like the fact that parts for maintaining and restoring the trucks would be available.

D

Dennis

Is the Miltary bringing back any HMMWVs from the Mid-East?..I heard they may soon be up for auction....Just a rumor.

Wouldn't this be bad-ass?

Humvee3.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I am not up to date with all this but did AMG buy the rights to HUMMER or is AMG just remaking the H1?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
AMG always owned the rights to the H1. They sold/leased the marketing rights to Hummer to GM but those have since reverted back to AMG. My understanding is that AMG only has rights to the H1.

08H3

AMG always owned the rights to the H1. They sold/leased the marketing rights to Hummer to GM but those have since reverted back to AMG. My understanding is that AMG only has rights to the H1.

I can't find the article right now, but GM still owns the Hummer brand. The article had numbers in it, but the brand is actually still lucrative to them in licensing rights. Go to any Wal-Mart toy department and look at how many Hummer toys are out there. I'm not certain either, but from the article, I belive GM still has some stake in the marketing/licensing of the H1. To what degree and what conditions, I do not know.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I think a kit would be cool, but i think it would devalue the H1. Just look at the other kit cars out there, they arent as genuine as the real factory produced ones. So i think it would just take the H1 from off road beast to a kit build-a-beast, which isnt as cool. IMO

Kurt

Surplus HMMWV's are out, they are either rebuilt or destroyed. The surplus trucks only make it out to Law Enforcement, and that's it.

There was a recent incident on the HML where someone got a HMMWV that they shouldn't have gotten through a Sheriffs department auction, the Fed's stepped in and took it back.

All the HMMWV's in the private sector usually wound up there by mistake, usually due to a DOD -> Defense Contractor swap, and where the contractor legally sold them to the public [like the United Defense auction].

Don't let the word "kit" fool you, unlike other "kits" this is OEM AM General we're talking about, it's leaving the final assembly up to the customer or to a shop to work out.

As for the other makes, the H2 was a dead duck before Hummer was canned, and the H3 was made at a GM plant, not AM General so it stands to reason why AM General is only interested in the H1.

GM updated Hummer.com, if you notice, there is no mention of the H1 anywhere...

If AM General goes ahead with this , and keeps the price low enough [ideally at an H2 price point for a whole truck like the pre GM days] it might spur investors into funding a more mainstream vehicle down the road.

Basically in the end, it'll wind up being something like ordering a K-series fleet hummer with an optional engine/powertrain in a separate crate.

I just want the Optimizer 3200 diesel to hit the public market, that sounds like a great engine and it'll fit in an H3 which would make it a great swap project.

Last edited:

Green 1

Matty Patty Pookie Bear
I think a kit would be cool, but i think it would devalue the H1. Just look at the other kit cars out there, they arent as genuine as the real factory produced ones. So i think it would just take the H1 from off road beast to a kit build-a-beast, which isnt as cool. IMO

Kit cars do not devalue the original. Look at pricing on a true Shelby Cobra compared to the kits that have been made. Some of the nice kits finished right are worth several times the initial investment of the kit .Many of the kit cars are crap and that would not happen from AMG. Owners could finish as they wanted and the finish of the truck would determine value.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I could get more in mine except that I have two storerooms built in for parts storage that total about 400 SF and a 3/4 bath in the shop. It is a shop. I needed it for a place to store all my extra Hummer stuff and to work on the trucks. Right now I only have one of my H1s in the shop, my brothers H1 and Corvette and my M101 trailer. Still have plenty of room to work. The rest of the vehicles are garage pets.

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
I just sent them an email asking about how much the kit would cost for a Alpha Factory Slantback with the Alpha Interior adn basically everything the Alpha had for features:) I also could hold myself asking how much it would cost for an up-armored edition

LagunaH1

I think this rumor is *very* interesting!!!

For me, the most important part is the expected improved availability of parts. -Maybe even a new engine choice should mine ever succumb to the #8 cylinder issue.

I'll keep my fingers crossed this actually happens