• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Leaking from grab handle in back.

altide8

Has anyone had an issue with the handle leaking in the back. We got a lot of rain yesterday and I noticed drops of water from the handle. Haven’t had a chance to try to fix it, as I discovered it last night. I had a bucket in there to catch the water. I have about a cup of water since last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rascole

Sunroof drains are clogged. The drain outlet is located behind the plastic inner fender liner. Not too difficult to remove.

rascole

Then you have a roof leak. The roof rack channel and plastic trim are screwed down to the roof. The rivnuts are known to rust and when water pools up in the trim it will leak. I had this very problem. A little more work to fix but nothing terrible. If you have access to a MIG welder then replace the rivnuts with weld nuts, if not the replace with new stainless steel rivnuts. Most likely you will have to grind off the heads of some of the screws because the rivnuts rust and break free and the screw will just spin.

Jeepwalker

Yeah, I had a lot of roof leaks to deal with last summer.

For a roof leak: Remove the plastic rails and look for cracks in the seam where the roof panel seam is. I had several. When you're done sealing that up, I suggest getting some putty ...rope caulk (hardware store) or even plumbers putty works well and make a little doughnut to put under and around the nuts when you put them back on to keep water out.

Also, it could be a leak at the rear-door top gasket too, ..or cracked seam sealer on the upper rear corners. The pinch portion of the top rear door gasket can rust and flair out (not pinch very tight). I wasn't able to get mine tight enough so I bought a new one. Even then I had to use a non-hardening bedding compound (3M product) on the pinch of the new gasket. All that did the trick.

Check under the carpets where the rear passengers feet go. Probably soaked under there. All the interior plastic is super-easy to remove ..and the metal clips are reusable. The interiors are put together nicely on these H3's.

Good luck.

Last edited:

altide8

Then you have a roof leak. The roof rack channel and plastic trim are screwed down to the roof. The rivnuts are known to rust and when water pools up in the trim it will leak. I had this very problem. A little more work to fix but nothing terrible. If you have access to a MIG welder then replace the rivnuts with weld nuts, if not the replace with new stainless steel rivnuts. Most likely you will have to grind off the heads of some of the screws because the rivnuts rust and break free and the screw will just spin.

I feared this was the issue. I’ll have to check it out this weekend. Thanks

MilamJR

I feared this was the issue. I’ll have to check it out this weekend. Thanks

Hopefully it will stop raining here long enough to take a look. We have had so much rain this week if you have a leak you are definitely going to find out. Good luck.