• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

V8 H3 with Manual trans

amrg

Can anyone tell what trans is this? In another vid he mentions in the description that the bugs with 4LO have been sorted out indicating that its a 4x4 trans!
Ar5 for a V8 maybe?

https://youtu.be/WIkPcEZ9c3Y

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

atvspeed4

Can anyone tell what trans is this? In another vid he mentions in the description that the bugs with 4LO have been sorted out indicating that its a 4x4 trans!
Ar5 for a V8 maybe?

https://youtu.be/WIkPcEZ9c3Y

It's stock transmission I know of the swap. The Colorado 2wd guys have been doing the swap for a while now and as long as motor isn't built or you don't tow it should be fine. The 2008+ MA5 is stronger than the older ones. I sent my tccm, 4wd control and encoder motor to Jamie to help sort out as we plan on using the 5.3 from our alpha in our 2006 5 speed over the winter

Mr_Rich

The generic name for the five-speed is AX-15. One site I consult is Novak Enterprises on stuff like this. I'd definitely like to swap a Gen IV LS engine
of some type
along with my M5 in my 3T some day.

amrg

Interesting! Last i researched that trans wont handle a 400 hp ls2 but there are some upgrades that can be done (bot sure if they hold up behind a 400 hp H3 though)

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Yea I would say that our trucks are a different animal. Handling 400 horse driving down a drag strip vs crawling boulder fields is a different type of stress...I’ve contemplated a manual.

The auto is so great for the gnarly rocks and trails, less shock loading the drivetrain, easier to deal with and drive on trails but I think the manual wins in every other category. When I am driving 1000 miles away from home I know a manual will get you there and back...an auto seems to have a mind of its own sometimes. When it works, it works...when it doesn’t want to anymore, it won’t!

Mr_Rich

Back when I was first shopping for my 3T I test drove a dark gray 3T I5/ Auto Adventure with sunroof and all the options at TO Hummer. It was during this time later that I was asking questions online at the TO Hummer website and a saleslady got snippy at my questions and I wrote them off. I decided that if I was going to go with the I5 I wanted the M5 and I found one at Pasadena Hummer and bought it. I still had my Chevy K1500 as my "working truck" so I wanted a bit better mileage that the I5 would supposedly give me. As it turns out I swapped my high mileage 350 out in my K1500 with a lower mileage roller-cammed 350 I had stored for another project. I get better gas mileage in my K1500 in both city and highway driving than my 3T but I still enjoy driving my 3T for the creature comforts and it's still a dependable vehicle for the most part.
I was looking on the Novak-adapt website and there was mention that an NV3550 was an upgrade replacement in Jeeps for an AX-15. That kind of makes me curious about how possible it might be for a swap if it becomes the time for it.

atvspeed4

Back when I was first shopping for my 3T I test drove a dark gray 3T I5/ Auto Adventure with sunroof and all the options at TO Hummer. It was during this time later that I was asking questions online at the TO Hummer website and a saleslady got snippy at my questions and I wrote them off. I decided that if I was going to go with the I5 I wanted the M5 and I found one at Pasadena Hummer and bought it. I still had my Chevy K1500 as my "working truck" so I wanted a bit better mileage that the I5 would supposedly give me. As it turns out I swapped my high mileage 350 out in my K1500 with a lower mileage roller-cammed 350 I had stored for another project. I get better gas mileage in my K1500 in both city and highway driving than my 3T but I still enjoy driving my 3T for the creature comforts and it's still a dependable vehicle for the most part.
I was looking on the Novak-adapt website and there was mention that an NV3550 was an upgrade replacement in Jeeps for an AX-15. That kind of makes me curious about how possible it might be for a swap if it becomes the time for it.

That bellhousing is the one that is used but you need to modify it somewhat. Thankfully, mechanically speaking this swap is not uncharted waters. Now that the programming is sorted out this is a viable swap. The only unknown is how the transmission will handle the torque of a v8 with the weight of an H3. You cant draw comparisons of strength with "similar" transmissions made by aisin as there are many differences, the big one being the gearset used in our application.

Traxx

Wait, whaaaaaat? I didn't think there was a manual that would bolt up. Looks like I have a lot of research to do. The i5 5 speed T that I had one was a blast to drive compared to the auto.

2010H3TAlpha

When I was researching transmissions before I had my 4L60E built, I was looking at the T56 Magnums (absolutely LOVED my Viper T56 in my old supercharged Cobra). I know the T56 Magnum can be built to pretty crazy specs and will bolt to a transfer case, but I didn't research far enough to verify output shaft compatibility, lengths, etc. Bellhousing on a GM spec T56 should bolt right up to our Gen IV LS motors.

atvspeed4

When I was researching transmissions before I had my 4L60E built, I was looking at the T56 Magnums (absolutely LOVED my Viper T56 in my old supercharged Cobra). I know the T56 Magnum can be built to pretty crazy specs and will bolt to a transfer case, but I didn't research far enough to verify output shaft compatibility, lengths, etc. Bellhousing on a GM spec T56 should bolt right up to our Gen IV LS motors.
You can get a 27 spline output easily with the t56 and make a t-case adapter when using the Corvette t56 with torque tube removed obviously. Issue is the lowest 1st gear offered is like 3.30 and the shifter is in way different spot. I know there are relocating kits but haven't found one yet to get to stock H3 spot. That high of first gear sucks.

amrg

Are you saying 3.30 is too high? Isnt it better than 3.0 auto?

atvspeed4

Are you saying 3.30 is too high? Isnt it better than 3.0 auto?

Its not that simple comparing the first gear of an auto with the first gear of a manual. Your torque converter provides torque multiplication: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter

I believe the factory MA5 has a 3.75:1 first gear. For towing and crawling I would want at least that or lower (numerically higher) first gear.

amrg

Well just to follow up, I did some research about this and there are alot of info on this on 355nation. Mainly if someone was to do this, the H3 manual would be the best one to use as its 4x4 and was the latest update in parts internally.

A manual swap for a V8 will cost around 2.5K in labor (not cheap). I think the cost breakdown was sort of like this:

Used H3 trans with shift tower and shifter, less than 75K ~ 500
V8 Adapter - 500
LS flywheel - 200
Clutch kit - 200-500
Master & slave cylinder kit & line - 200
Clutch & brake pedal used - 50
Neutral safety & cruise control - 100
Misc items such as:
Pilot bearibg
Shifter boot
Harness adapter 4l60e to ar5 (for reverse and neutral input to ecu)

RamRod

Is the af5 strong enough to hold up to a V8? (I literally know nothing about this trans)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

amrg

Other items will be ecu programming, cutting interior for shifter linkage and clutch assembly and obviously other misc. Items that I probably didnt mention

amrg

Is the af5 strong enough to hold up to a V8? (I literally know nothing about this trans)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Yes and no
The official rating is 260lb torque but its very conservative (arm chair internet talk)
But ive read on supra forums ppl have them behind 700 tq engines and are fine (but we are talking way less weight)
The mallet pontiac solistice used a 400 hp/tq LS2 amd that ran fine

RamRod

Yes and no
The official rating is 260lb torque but its very conservative (arm chair internet talk)
But ive read on supra forums ppl have them behind 700 tq engines and are fine (but we are talking way less weight)
The mallet pontiac solistice used a 400 hp/tq LS2 amd that ran fine

LoL right after my first post in this thread I went searching for some answers and read that Supra Forum as well; it seems that there are more than a few that are interested in the swap

amrg

Now that Im on my 3rd rebuild for the 4l60 Im looking at other options. But lets say a 500 hp 5000 lb truck with 37s may not be best suited with an ar5 trans unless you dont mind changing them (at 500 dollars used not as bad as a 4l60 rebuild). I like the idea of a 5 spd manual as I drive a 98 landcruiser with a 5 spd and love it.

atvspeed4

I did a ton of research on the manual swap options and the factory MA5 is the way to go for an easy swap but is far from strong. The v8/ MA5 has been done many times and there is an H3T alpha that I have seen pictures of with the swap completed and fully functional. If you are going to use the H3 5 speed you really should use one from a 2008+ as they have the 2nd/3rd sycros updated to carbon which was a improvement over the brass that several people have had issues with in the past with higher mileage (me included on my old yellow 2006).

I would trust it behind a stock 5.3L for a daily driver but would be hesitant to do much towing unless you have a back up transmission to swap in. The MA5 is physically a small transmission and the gear sets are relatively small compared to something like a nv4500. There is talk about being able to swap gearsets from the toyota truck version to get a lower first gear but I would not do that due to the very small physical size of the 1st gear as you get to a lower ratio.

Since we have too many hummers I plan on taking the 5.3L out of one of the alphas and putting it into the 2006 H3 5 speed to see how long it lasts. Hope to get it done this summer after we wrap up the 6.0L and 6L80 swap on the alpha.

amrg

My friend is pushing me to look at an NV4500 but too many unknowns and probably very costly.
How is that 6l80 swap going?

atvspeed4

My friend is pushing me to look at an NV4500 but too many unknowns and probably very costly.
How is that 6l80 swap going?

We have the 2006 with the L96 6.0L/ 6L90 and np241 that has been up and running for a while now. Swap wise, it works as factory but we bent a intake valve which was a pain to replace.

We are just starting the 2008 alpha swap with L96/6l80 and factory T-case. We are working with a company to make the 32 spline input shaft for the factory non-adventure T-case but for now will temporarily be running a resplined 6l80e output. Trying a new harness setup to avoid to external reverse light switch we had to make for the 6l90 swap.

Eventually we want to do a Nv4500 swap but want to get the 32 spline input shaft done first so that we can mate the nv4500 to the factory T-case. Then its just a matter of making a solid shifter relocation design to get it out of the fire wall area.

Mr_Rich

AX15 is a generic name for the 5-speed manual in our trucks. I think even an NV3500 is an upgrade over that. I'm wondering if that trans is a possibility. One thing I like about my 5-speed is that it doesn't seem to have a problem in high temps like some of the auto trans trucks have that were previously discussed elsewhere.

amrg

We have the 2006 with the L96 6.0L/ 6L90 and np241 that has been up and running for a while now. Swap wise, it works as factory but we bent a intake valve which was a pain to replace.

We are just starting the 2008 alpha swap with L96/6l80 and factory T-case. We are working with a company to make the 32 spline input shaft for the factory non-adventure T-case but for now will temporarily be running a resplined 6l80e output. Trying a new harness setup to avoid to external reverse light switch we had to make for the 6l90 swap.

Eventually we want to do a Nv4500 swap but want to get the 32 spline input shaft done first so that we can mate the nv4500 to the factory T-case. Then its just a matter of making a solid shifter relocation design to get it out of the fire wall area.
Any ETA on the tcase input shaft? My biggest concern going to trans no.4 is the tear down for an output shaft

atvspeed4

Any ETA on the tcase input shaft? My biggest concern going to trans no.4 is the tear down for an output shaft

Not sure, the company asked us to send all mating parts which is a pain. We sent CAD file of the new input but they want to test everything