• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H1 fuel economy?

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
H1's and fuel economy dont go hand and hand but what do u guys get?

There is a point behind this...its for some info I need for class.

Ron B

a stock td on 37's will get anywhere from 13 to 17 depending on how heavy your right foot is. They are not too different than most large trucks/suv's on the road today. Now I average 12 (sometimes less) on 39.5's.

Kurt

12-15 is my average over the last 3-4 years. Higher on freeway. I rarely exceed 65 mph, the mileage stinks if I push the truck past that.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Different years and engine/tranny combos get varying results. Going 65 on the freeway I average 13.5. Around town 11.5-12. Going to Moab fully loaded I get around 10 with all the inclines. The Alphas would get 14 on the freeway all day long. If you baby them you could probably squeeze another mpg out of them.

Last edited:

Sircode13

I average about 13.5 most of the time that's around town driving in Laguna Hills and freeway at 65-70 mph. I have the alpha wheels with run flats in them. I think they're 16.5 can't remember.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Sad when my H3 gets 11 mpg

lol I cant agree more

Thanks for all the input guys! I needed to know this info for a little discussion I had in class today.

It was in philosophy. It is a general ed class so you get all types of different people and it really does make discussions fun. anyways, my prof. had 2 articles that we talked about today. One was on the american economy and how it will get better and the other was gas prices and how it shouldnt be 4 bucks a gallon. There is a really bright student who is 16 years old that is finishing H.S. but is already taking general ed classes. While discussing the gas prices he says to the class how its sad that a boeing 747 and a hummer get the same MPG...which is 6 miles per gallon. It came out naturally, I had no control but I yelled "HUMMERS DONT GET 6 MILES PER GALLON!!!!!! I HAVE PROOF! WHICH ONE DO YOU WANNA KNOW ABOUT THE H1, H2 OR H3?" I think he got the point. Prof stopped me and the little kid sorta went quiet. I felt bad for b/c he probably thought I personally attacked him, but we have enough dumbasses in this world and I dont want people to get more unreliable info.

After class a buddy of mine came up to me and said I think he meant the original humvees get 6mpg. So in response I said how bout this, instead of going online and getting some biased bull**** from a prius forum stating that a hummer gets 6mpg and calling it a credible source I will talk to H1 drivers who personally track there MPG's.

So, next class I will let him know what info you guys gave me. I may have come off harsh and seemed like an inconsiderate dick but in the end, I am not, I just had to tell people the truth...The kid may be smart but not hummer smart.

Another side note is this, Another kid in the class has an F250 V10. 8mpg, but we are the scapegoat and in the whole scheme of things 8MPG isnt going to kill an environment. There are plenty of worse things, like volcanos. They have much more influence then a car IMHO.

Ron B

A hummer getting the same or worse mpg as a 747 is the biggest load of bullsiht I have ever heard! A quick google search and I found a quote from Boeing's site revealing that a 747 averages 5 gallons per mile. Which is slightly worse than a hummer but better than a cruise ship. Now, an interesting point in the article was that assuming there are 500 passengers the mpg is 100 per person.

I am betting that the 747 spits out out more harmful pollutants in one flight from LA to NY than alll of our hummers would together in a year.

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
A hummer getting the same or worse mpg as a 747 is the biggest load of bullsiht I have ever heard! A quick google search and I found a quote from Boeing's site revealing that a 747 averages 5 gallons per mile. Which is slightly worse than a hummer but better than a cruise ship. Now, an interesting point in the article was that assuming there are 500 passengers the mpg is 100 per person.

I am betting that the 747 spits out out more harmful pollutants in one flight from LA to NY than alll of our hummers would together in a year.

I can't agree more...people want to make issues and things worse then they appear to be. Another topic that was brought up was offroaders and hunters. Many believe we do the most harm and green people go out and help the environment...when in all actuality we do most of the cleanups. Where was alrock a few weekends ago? On a cleanup run. Bebe deals with land use. We have tread lightly and when I was on a local trail a month ago some dip**** left a couch on the trail...take one guess dragged it out or there then threw it on the rack and got rid of it correctly...not a green prius lover...I did!
I hate to sound pessimistic but I am tired of being a scapegoat and being blamed for hurting the environment. We take care of it and pick up the crap that can harm wildlife and land alot more then those clowns do...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a 3/4 ton Chevrolet 4x4 pickup with a V-10 for about 6 weeks. The dealership told me it would get14 mpg. I never got over 8. They took it back. My Ford F 250 and the F350 both get as bad or worse mileage as the H1s but I have never had anyone comment on the low mpg they get. An H1 is a heavy duty truck, it gets mileage like a heavy duty truck, it rides like a heavy duty truck. Why anyone would single it out is beyond me...just shows ignorance. I have a lot of friends that drive Range Rovers and these guys are all getting 8-9 mpg. None of them has ever been approached by anyone about mpg. Blind ignorance is still ignorance and I hate talking to someone that doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

Last edited:

Ron B

A few bad apples will always spoil the bunch and make most of us look bad when it comes to abusing trails. People going where they shouldn't, leaving trash and being morons. Bikes do a lot of trail damage as they pass jeeps/trucks. Most of us have participated in trail clean-ups and done mainteneance. The Psychos do a lot for the forest service just because we have the big trucks with the biggest winches to pull out abandoned vehicles and move fallen trees and boulders. It is a good habit to give back and not to just take take take (like a certain street in lower Manhattan).

The whole "blame the hummer" thing started not long after the h2 came out. It's sad that it's no worse than any other truck/suv but is singled out as poster child for excess, pollution and micro penis (!!). GM's advertising didn't help, nor did the attitudes of some of the poseur morons and soccer moms who were buying the h2 when it 1st came out.

I believe the nail in the coffin was the race for governor here in Cali between Arianna Huffington and Arnie. She sold her excursion, bought a prius, and started attacking Arnie for his fleet of earth-killing ex-military trucks and their "dismal" mpg. I have had some complain that I am supporting war by driving a hummer -- to this I ask "what 4x4 vehicle is not used or did not come from the military?" The Rover...the G-wagen...the Mog...the Landcruiser...dare I say...the Jeep??!!

GM killing the brand brought cheers of victory from the uninformed. Just silly. Now we are stuck with that stigma. Even today people are shocked in my business (movies/tv) that I own a hummer. When they see it's an h1 somehow that makes it all better (the obvious trail damage, dirt and being a diesel nearly forces women to rig their tops off) but it's not fair bashing the 2's and 3's when they are no worse than anything out there (that there are even more prevalent the road too).

Last edited:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a conversation with a lady at a gas station one time awhile back. I think I scored some points when I explained to her that a total of 12,000 H1s were built over a 15 year span for civilian consumption, maybe 100,000 H2s were built and about 270,000 H3s over the entire production run for Hummer. I told her Ford built that many F150s in a single year. Even if you added up the incremental use of fuel consumed by all Hummers ever made it is only a small fraction of the fuel consumed by US vehicles. The fuel used by H1s wouldn't even show up on the chart. Yet somehow the small minded and dimwitted think that we are the problem. Funny...sad but funny.

Sircode13

Your right 3Hummers they are 17's. I remember now when I was looking for a spare wheel, mostly just for decorative use lol, all I could find were 16.5's. That's why that number stuck in my head.

Sircode13

Yeah, that's right Mikes the only I trust to work on it. I wish Kyle was still working with him, His dad owns an H1. Patrick the new guy came up from Wessloh, everytime I took it there I'd end up having something else popping up going wrong. I trust Mike to give it to me straight on what going on, and to treat me fairly.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kyle's dad sold his H1. I think it is back in the service department now. Mike is too good I think, it is keeping him buried in H1s.:)

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
The Boeing 747-400 (the newest and most fuel efficient in the 747 line) get 109 passenger miles per imperial gallon :link:, which equates to 90.83 passenger miles per us gallon. This number is calculated based on a full plane flying to its maximum range (on a shorter flight or with empty seats the mileage is worse). The 747-400 accommodates 416 passengers :link: , therefore the fuel consumption is 416 passengers/90.83 passenger miles per gallon = 4.57 gallons per mile or 0.218 miles per gallon. I think someone compared gallons per mile and miles per gallon and rounded off liberally to make their point.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
When they see it's an h1 somehow that makes it all better (the obvious trail damage, dirt and being a diesel nearly forces women to rig their tops off)

This is by no means a good selling point to my wife why we need an H1, but's another damn fine reason why I'm going to get one!

About the gas mileage thing---I'm not going to sing to the choir, as hot as this topic makes me; I will say that latest Motor Trend write-up on the Ford Raptor listed out it's specs, including gas mileage, and they were damn near identical to the 08-09 H2, but you don't hear anybody damaging Raptor's on the dealers lot or lighting them on fire--because it's a truck, and that somehow makes everything all better......
Oh yeah, screw that ass-clown I saw driving down the road yesterday with a huge "HUMMER recovery team" banner slathered on the top of his windshield. Don't even get me started on these heep *******s!

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
I had a conversation with a lady at a gas station one time awhile back. I think I scored some points when I explained to her that a total of 12,000 H1s were built over a 15 year span for civilian consumption, maybe 100,000 H2s were built and about 270,000 H3s over the entire production run for Hummer. I told her Ford built that many F150s in a single year. Even if you added up the incremental use of fuel consumed by all Hummers ever made it is only a small fraction of the fuel consumed by US vehicles. The fuel used by H1s wouldn't even show up on the chart. Yet somehow the small minded and dimwitted think that we are the problem. Funny...sad but funny.

Wow that's some deep stuff Dave. I gotta remember those numbers. I mean... that's a really good point!

[video=youtube;bq1f3Hr03fQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1f3Hr03fQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually Dan I think the numbers I have for H3s may be heavy. I used to know them but those are off the top of my head.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to Wikipedia GM produced 159519 H3s and 152,939 H2s. 312548 H2 and H3s. Add in 12,000 H1s and you have one average year of F-150 production.