• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

long range tank for H3

Sennin

I'm pondering the installation of an additional petrol tank under the Hummer, was thinking of maybe getting a second tank from a written of H3 and positioning it on the opposite side of the current tank. thus doubling the volume.

What is the major things that would be hindering me from doing so?

What I can think of(as I have not yet got down and dirty to see whats going on down there):
* The Exhaust is situated on that side, so it will have to be moved, and definately wrapped to prevent heat issues

There are two possible ways of using the additional tank then:
1. To customise the wiring so that you can just switch from within the cab betwheen the two tanks, and therefore have the fuel guage etc working
2. Installing a transfer pump etc, and jut transfer the extra fuel from the 2nd tank into the first one.

If going this route, I mould prefer to go with option 2, as I dont want to have issues with the wiring harness later on in the middel of nowhere.

For the transfer system, i was thinking of the following:
http://www.thelongranger.com.au/longrangefueltankaccessories.html

4speedfunk

What is the major things that would be hindering me from doing so?

Gas stations.

All joking aside. You might look into an aftermarket petrol tank...they're fairly cheap, and come in all sorts of sizes. Since the H3 tank is specifically molded to fit on the drivers-side, it might not fit too well in a different location. At the very worst...have somebody make you a custom one. Not sure about how to hook it up to the stock tank. That might be tough because there are no "auxilary ports" to tap into. Also...like everything on the H3, there are some computerized-emission-purge-dohinkys back there that might not like being tampered with.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I would agree with 4speed, get a custom tank/pump and installation. Due to the emissions stuff, you will probably want a manually controlled pump in the secondary tank with a check valve in the line to the main tank.
The check valve will allow the pressure to remain in the main tank, so as not to trip any emission control problems with the EVAP system. You would need some type of fill tube added for filling the secondary tank.

Not sure if I have heard of anyone trying this so far.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
I have been looking into making a completely new tank. Not an auxiliary tank. Reason being, that my rear Dana 60 hits the corner of the tank and eventually will destroy it. When the new one was going to be made, I was planning on increasing the capacity by adding more volume over the top of the drive shaft and exhaust.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

deserth3

Noticed Sennin is writting from South Africa.

Is your H3 a diesel or petrol? And do you even have to worry about emmissions like we do?

The tank is probably the same as ours. If you don't have the emmissions crap it may be easier. Move the muffler and you can put a tank there. Though a skid plate would be a good idea. Also look at the right side of the truck opposite the present fuel tank.

Because of the difficulty caused by U.S. emmisions laws, here we would just carry extra fuel in fuel cans.

rsc

I remember seeing a thread a long time back (hummerxclub?) about someone who did this. Had a custom tank installed, but it was about $1300 back then. Price was dependant on his capacity, but roughly that was the price. There is also the Rod Hall way of doing it and taking out the rear seats and installing a HUGE tank! I remember seeing some round hotrod tanks that can be ordered in sizes from 3" diameter up to 14? inches in diameter and up to 6 feet long! Center or end mounted fill caps. Could be something to bolt to a roof rack or???

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Noticed Sennin is writting from South Africa.

Is your H3 a diesel or petrol? And do you even have to worry about emmissions like we do?
Petrol, they never produced diesel H3's. The over seas models still use the same 3.5, 3.7, and 5.3L engines. I am guessing they don't have to worry about emissions but making it emissions compatible would keep the CEL off.

Sennin

Gas stations.

he he, I know what you mean, but when going into our neighbouring countries, the abundance of fuel is a problem, and therefore its suggested to have enough fual for 1000km (621 miles).

Thanks for all the feedback guys, this is going to require a lot of thinking

Sennin

Petrol, they never produced diesel H3's. The over seas models still use the same 3.5, 3.7, and 5.3L engines. I am guessing they don't have to worry about emissions but making it emissions compatible would keep the CEL off.

look at me double posting, lol

nope, we dont have any emmision problems, so the exhaust system can easilly be changed, and mini cats installed to prevent the CEL problems

Last edited:

Sennin

Didn't Nugget have an aux fuel tank? There was also an H3T on eBay from TX a while back with AUX fuel tank in the bed.

Nope, Nugget had a Red 55 liter fual tank on his roof rack (and I don't want the same roofrack issues he encountered, or else I would have gone the same route):gaah:

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I remember seeing a thread a long time back (hummerxclub?) about someone who did this. Had a custom tank installed, but it was about $1300 back then. Price was dependant on his capacity, but roughly that was the price. There is also the Rod Hall way of doing it and taking out the rear seats and installing a HUGE tank! I remember seeing some round hotrod tanks that can be ordered in sizes from 3" diameter up to 14? inches in diameter and up to 6 feet long! Center or end mounted fill caps. Could be something to bolt to a roof rack or???
rsc your right, the guy whondid that had a hole cut in his trunk where the tank came up into the cabin space of the h3 here's the link http://www.hummerxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12204&hilit=Gas+tank+mod

skippy

we tried to have some made here but could get enough interest there was only three of us interested so the cost would have been to expensive!

i can investergate it again for you?

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
we tried to have some made here but could get enough interest there was only three of us interested so the cost would have been to expensive!

i can investergate it again for you?

Aussies definitely make the best 4x4 long range tanks. Long Range Autimotive, which are just down the way from ARB, made one for my TJ. The thing was bomb proof. No skid plate needed. If you get something going Skippy, count me in. Only thing is that I'll need a corner trimmed because of my Dana 60 and suspension travel.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

Steve #1

Actualy, all the H3s built in SA were 3.7s. :)