• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Laser Headlights

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Technology is cool.

I drove their other electric car, the i3, at a BMW Drive event and it was actually pretty cool. Torque was insane. It's a pretty goofy looking machine, but I liked it.

abearden

My first thought is "great, now I can be blinded even more by inattentive drivers with ultra-bright headlights and high beams."

Chook

My first thought is "great, now I can be blinded even more by inattentive drivers with ultra-bright headlights and high beams."

Quite to the contrary, the second video shows you how the technology changes the beam to avoid blinding the oncoming vehicle & the vehicle in front by creating a tunnel where the light adapts.

abearden

Quite to the contrary, the second video shows you how the technology changes the beam to avoid blinding the oncoming vehicle & the vehicle in front by creating a tunnel where the light adapts.
With their LED headlights which are far more compact, at least for now. However, that's not the problem. The problem is when the aftermarket gets a hold of the ultra-brights they won't include all the little extras that BMW included to keep from blinding people. Same thing that happened with the the current generation bulbs and people dropping them into projector housings they weren't intended for since they can't afford it but still want the bright headlights: they end up bathing the entire road in blinding light. That, and second-hand BMW owners that don't repair the active headlight system when it stops working. :no: