• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Metal noise when driving

chaos254

I am trying to figure out a metal noise when driving it only happens for a few seconds at different speeds. Has a tin sounding noise to it. I went underneath to see maybe if it was a heatshield but they dont budge at all. I found this metal circular thing on the bottom of the trans that moves and maybe is the cause of it. I took a picture. .. anybody know what this is and should it move? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375646672276.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375646672276.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,347

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I have had the same issue since March. Very annoying. My "rattle', just as you describe, can be heard at 1k and 2k RPMs then goes away. I have checked the muffler/catalytic converter heat shields more than a few times but that are fine. I've had the dealer try to figure out the source and no luck so far. Let me know if you figure it out and I'll do the same.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapataint

amrg

I had a similar issue earlier. Managed to replicate it at the dealers by holding the brake pedal as I was revving up my engine while on Drive to that specific RPM it rattles at. It turned out to be a loose front skid plate in my case.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Another common noise is the heat shield on the exhaust manifold. Loose skids are common. Even had it once where a loose aftermarket center cap caused it on one of my wheels.

TAPDH3T

Same here.. When I'm driving its fine but when idles and/or around 1000rpms it's horrible... Dealer was no help ... I can't find it either. Drives me nuts!!! I just jack up the tunes...

skinner41

I had the same kinda noise the dealer thought it was the heat sheild on the convertor.It turned out to be the guts in the convertor broke apart.If you hung onto the convertor it would quit.

chaos254

This noise is driving me crazy. It has progressively gotten worse. Hopefully I can get it up on the lift next week and find what is causing it.

cdarveaux

I have that issue too but not at the rpms only when going bumps, sounds like something is really loose but I looked underneath and everything seemed tied down

telemike

Hummer Enthusiast
I have a noise that I only hear while driving. Dies not vary with rpms. Sounds like maybe a rotating noise? CV shaft? Brake pads? Not very loud. Could be heat shield, I dunno

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

TAPDH3T

I don't know if I told tall but I found mine its the exhaust... Near the tip.. It's hitting a metal brace.. Sometimes it does it and sometimes if I hit a hard enough bump it bounces up just enough to miss.. I going to cut the bracet and weld it a lil higher to stop the issue...

SuperBuickGuy

I hate the sound that comes from underneath when I run over a smart car.

You can hear those (when you run over them?) I ran over an old lady and did hear a thing - you'd think that'd be noisier than an old lady (children, make sure you have eye contact with the driver when you step in front of a car and you don't have a cross walk)

H3-ING

AdventureTime
I had a rattle that sounded like a loose heat shield up front. Was actually the front diff rattling the front diff skid plate that was dented in and making contact.

chaos254

Got it up on the lift today. I drove it while a friend checked it out. Sound is coming from the heat shield on the exhaust. Heat shield itself is tight but there were a bunch of worm clamps with the excess metal not cut off. Took the excess metal off and rechecked on the lift. No noise the ride home :D. Im glad it was something simple.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Another common noise is the heat shield on the exhaust manifold. Loose skids are common. Even had it once where a loose aftermarket center cap caused it on one of my wheels.

Got it up on the lift today. I drove it while a friend checked it out. Sound is coming from the heat shield on the exhaust. Heat shield itself is tight but there were a bunch of worm clamps with the excess metal not cut off. Took the excess metal off and rechecked on the lift. No noise the ride home :D. Im glad it was something simple.

I think that makes me the winner! :am1:

scoreh3

I found that my noise was coming from the heat shield covering the motor mount. I pull it away (up) and the noise stopped.

Kyle

i have the noise when i start the truck up in the morning, once it warms up its gone. i really just tune it out now and rarely notice it.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
You need to be specific to get an answer lol.

A noise can range from a bad power steering pump to a bad serpentine belt to suspension noises to interior noises.