• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

UCP Skids on the cheap.

Steve #1

So I've wanted a way to beef up my Bolder (same as OEM for you noobs) skids since Alex had a rock go through his and take out the transfer case. in researching skid plates I found that the rage in UTVs, expanding to other off road sports, is UHMW. So what is UHMW? Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene is used in all sorts of things from body armor and high strength rope as fibers and in sheet for synthetic ice skating rinks among many other uses. It's slick surface and resistance to cutting make it perfect for use as a cutting board in the kitchen.

Depending on the thickness you need you can buy sheet UHMW for around $15 - $30 a square foot. While checking out a restaurant supply action I came across a lot of cutting boards that looked about the right size and picked up 9 for $1 each.

I used a 1" thick piece that was the perfect size for the rear UCP and a 1/2" thick piece for the front. I attached the sheets to the UCP using U bolts. Because the rear takes more abuse, and because I had the thickness to work with, I used a router so the nuts are protected and wont get hung up on stuff. The project took a couple hours and most of that was calling under the truck measuring multiple times because I didn't want to take the UCP off to do this. Total cost about $10.

2013-11-01 17.14.18.jpg2013-11-02 16.29.00.jpg2013-11-02 16.54.10.jpg

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Like the concept but why not just slice and dice the cutting boards and insert them between the longitudinal runners of the OEM UCP? One of the big drawbacks of the OEM stuff is you lose about an inch of ground clearance and it appears you're losing 3/4" again. You could also flip those u-bolts around so the round part is facing down and would slide across rocks, if bolted longitudinally. Or buy the square head ones and route in a channel for them.

I do like how the HDPE will slide, but I'd rather avoid contacts with rocks in the first place.

SolidusJ

Great idea and project on the cheap, hope it works out better then you thought. THOR plate haven't failed me yet and worth every penny if you want to change that plate out one day.

Last edited:

digglesworth

Solidus... I've got a set of oem ucp on their way to me and I'm probably gonna grab some of those from Thor as soon as I'm done buying Christmas presents. Glad to hear they're holding up for you. That's encouraging...

spillKill

so steve how is the uhmw holding up so far? and how would you guys think a solid piece of uhmw would work as UPC? I like the concept.

rsc

I wonder about that too. I would probably back the UHMW with a thin plate of steel anyway.

Steve #1

so steve how is the uhmw holding up so far? and how would you guys think a solid piece of uhmw would work as UPC? I like the concept.

It's done great so far both in town and on the highway. Unfortunately no off road test yet. :sigh:

I think a solid sheet would work depending on the thickness. The 1" is pretty stout. The 1/2" flexes some. I used the 1/2" because I had it and don't figure it could hurt anything (with a manual trans I'm not worried about heat in that area).

SuperBuickGuy

Rather than going to Bed Bath and Beyond for your 4x4 parts, perhaps use these guys?

I use these guys a lot.....
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/de...gclid=CNWyvrPf-boCFYWDQgod-kgAng&gclsrc=aw.ds

they can also help with plastic selection - there are other formulations of UHMW that would be more durable, black, and easier to mount....

with that said, keeping the material in place will be your greatest challenge.