• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rear-Mounted Hi-Lift Jack

MuDnYrI

Reading the original post it looks like this is where he currently has it fitted but he now wants to put an awning there.............. I have 2 options............ You could fit a "Foxwing" awning which mounts on the side but the awning does the side & the back............... Or.......You could mount the highlift on the side of the rack that doesn't have an awning. (Gobi makes a hi lift holder for their racks)

I'm pretty sure his Hi-Lift is already on the side and is looking to move the Hi-Lift from the side, to the back, in order to install the awning on the side where the Hi-Lift currently is.

Chook

My Bad ( I just read cargo door & assumed he wanted to put the awning there) I can see on the photo the jack is on the side but it should be ok to use the same mounts for the back of the rack. The "Foxwing" awning can mount on the side & come around the back also.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
The back of the rack won't work either. I have lights mounted there and my second spare when away from home. My desired end state would be my axe and shovel on one side of the rack, an awning on the other side and my jack mounted on the rear door beside my tire with the base down. Just how to accompllish that is my problem......?

I guess it might be better to think about mounting the awning inside, or on top of, the rack somehow so it'd open over the jack or axe/shovel mounts...

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Considering how infrequently the hi-lift is used, why not break it down and rethink the storage? The challenge is the bulkiness of the foot and the jack assembly, but if you have smaller components you might find better storage.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Perhaps, and then there is this... a little pricey, but looks good.

http://www.wib-fab.com/tire%20carriers.htm

H3-Tire-Carrier-small_zpsf7a5082c.jpg

Tire-Carrier-small_zps4e714194.jpg

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Is that a 48" or 60" hi-lift on that mount? Something to keep in mind when exploring your options.

falcon

^^^^^^With the fuel cans and jack on the door do you hear the door rattle over bumps. I had a rear rack mounted above the spare but it sounded like the door was not latching tight.

In the very beginning I thought the door did rattle but then realized that was only coming from HiLift base. I adjusted the outer part of the mount so jack could lean on spare tire. I haven't noticed any door rattle even after mounting the fuel cans.

2 weeks ago I upgraded the tires to "35, I haven't put back the jack yet but I'm assuming it will handle that extra weight as well. As Recon mentioned earlier the door should be capable enough to handle such weight.

jakesz28

I had built a rear rack that goes over the spare. But mine has an extra rattle or noise. I have had a fair amount of weight in that rack while going camping. 5 gallons of water a cooler full of food and ice. So I'm sure I've loaded my door. I took the rack off just because it almost took out a tree the last time I was out on the trails. Now the noise is gone. I guess when I put it back on I will look and see if there is an adjustment in the latch. My rack was tight, but not sure where the noise was coming from. Thanks.

4speedfunk

I built ten similar spare tire gates for my first production run of THORparts H3T rear bumpers. One thing I noticed, is that those things can seriously injure you while opening on a hill. By the time you bolt-on a 100lb spare...open both the gate and the rear hatch door...the area in between is a "kill zone". You will not want to be standing anywhere in between them! I think this design is a trip to the ER waiting to happen. For this reason, I discontinued spare tire gates on all my THORparts stuff. I just think its un-necessary and there are better ways to mount the spare (on the door the way GM designed it)...or by using a replacement tubular tail-gate on the T's.

For some reason...I've noticed Hummer guys like to obsessively bolt extra "stuff" to their trucks. I haven't figured out why. It must be some sort of "equipment gene" or something that I don't have. On my rig...if something doesn't serve a purpose...it comes OFF. Period. I got the 5-cylinder, so every do-hinky I can remove gains me some much-needed power, and translates to better MPG, better climbing ability, less parts breakage, and less winching. I'm currently working on some one-off aluminum bumpers. Also a custom carbon-fiber hood. Since the 3.7L can't be reliably tweeked for more power...the other alternative is shedding weight.

Just wait till I cut the top off! -LOL

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
I'm with 4speedfunk. I try to remove stuff and only add what is critical. One of the biggest weight savers if the rear windows. Replace with aluminum or polycarbonate panels. Weight and center of gravity is everything for me.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I agree with 4speed and recon. I was one of those, and still am to some degree. I started wheeling without any knowledge or thought on weight and where you put the weight. Now as time has gone by I am much more weight conscious. I do not wheel with my 2nd spare now and I have my stock rear bumper on and stock front bumper on with a winch mount and brushguard to save weight instead of a heavy bumper. Other then the rack and rack accessories thats about the only thing I have done to add weight. I am interested in the window removal, I want to get rid of rear weight. Anyone ever notice on any picture of an H3 on a steep incline you have the rear end squatting and the CVs at max droop. Obviously hill climbs will do that to any vehicle but I feel its more then what the average rig does. I dont have #s to prove this but I would want to shed weight in the rear so you dont have that excessive front end lift leaving no weight on the front end to grab traction. Not sure if its weight or spring rates tht would help that, but look at H3s on steep climbs and you will see what I mean

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Anyone ever notice on any picture of an H3 on a steep incline you have the rear end squatting and the CVs at max droop. Obviously hill climbs will do that to any vehicle but I feel its more then what the average rig does. I dont have #s to prove this but I would want to shed weight in the rear so you dont have that excessive front end lift leaving no weight on the front end to grab traction. Not sure if its weight or spring rates tht would help that, but look at H3s on steep climbs and you will see what I mean

That's precisely why I plan to move my spare inside the cab. When I had my TJ I had your typical bumper tire carrier.

ocs09.jpg

With that setup, the moment you hit any type of incline, you immediately lost traction up front.

rfc002.jpg

Next comp, tire went inside and man did it changed everything. It's understandable that some people can't do that because they need their rear seats for family or pets.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I want to leave the tire on the door, at least for now. I am still interested in moving the jack back there beside it for a few reasons. It makes me a little nervous where it is now. If that thing would ever fall, wow, it could kill someone. I also would like to put an awning up on the rack in its place.

4speedfunk

Fully-prepped "war-wagons" look cool, and I'm sure there are places where that stuff is needed (Australia, Africa, Brazil, Venezuela, etc.)...but here in the states its just gobbledy-gook. Here's how I prep for an expedition in the USA...

JERRY CANS?...Never. I think it would be damn near impossible to burn thru a tank of gas in the continental US without passing a gas station. Certainly not enough need to fabricate mounts, and drive around everyday with fuel sloshing everywhere. Just fill-up your tank before you go wheelin....you'll be fine.

BRUSHGUARD?...Nope. Just another useless piece of tubing to generate wind noise and burn fuel. Use the steering wheel instead. Don't feel you have to run over crap for the sake of it...you can go around.

ROOFTOP TENT?
...Don't be silly. We killed-off all the large carnivores a hundred years ago! Just pitch your tent on the ground...you'll be fine.

ROOF-MOUNTED AWNING?
...(or as I like to call them..."gutter-savers"). Nah. Just camp under a tree. Trees are cheaper and last longer.

The only real gear you need to do an expedition in America?.....

VISA CARD!

DJinCO

Obviously you have never been to the Western US.

Gas. Yea, I can go off road without seen another human, yet alone a gas station.
Brush Guard. Nice to mount lights on that allow one to see in the dark. Again, no street lights in many areas of off-road Western US. (I don't have street lights in my neighborhood either, and the extra lights, i.e. LightForce, are useful for seeing coyotes, deer, elk, mountain lions, fox...) Yes, in my neighborhood early in the AM going to work. Brush guard also helps to keep the errant tree limb from sticking into the radiator on those off-road mountain fire trails.
No, I don't need a tent or an awning. I have an RV for that.

So while you may not need some items for tooling around your "Off-Road Park" some of us can use this stuff just to get to work.

Oh yea... some places don't take credit cards. So bring...

CASH!

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
4speed, you need to come to the Southwest and do some summer wheeling and camping in some very remote and open areas (yes, we have some of those still, in the USA) where, gas is not available (you do use/need jerrycans), rattlers, bears and mountain lions hunt at night, when it's cooler (RTTs are preferred) and there are no trees just cactus, hence no shade (awnings are very useful). We all adapt to our environments. You have obviously adapted to yours where this stuff is superfluous but someday, I invite you to head to Arizona in mid-July for some wheeling and camping and then let's have a discussion after your first night in the desert. You can even sit under my awning over a beer and lunch in the shade and you will see my point. Never too late to expand your horizons. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapataint

Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
...oh yeah, you might also want to add just a little more weight and bring some extra water and a gun.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapataint