• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rear-Mounted Hi-Lift Jack

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
All,

I'm looking for ideas to mount my 60" Hi-Lift on/near my cargo door. I'm thinking about placing an awning on my rack where the hi-lift currently is.

Ideas?:corn:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
A while back someone had one of these on their H3

kahiliftlock.jpg

http://man-a-fre.com/fjcruiser/fjcruiserhiliftjackmountstocktirecarrier.htmyouthat's

Take the 3 bolts off that hold the spare wheel on, slip this onto the studs, replace nuts, and you are good to go from what I remember reading. They are for Toyotas, but the bolt pattern is the same as the H3.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A while back someone had one of these on their H3

kahiliftlock.jpg

http://man-a-fre.com/fjcruiser/fjcruiserhiliftjackmountstocktirecarrier.htmyouthat's

Take the 3 bolts off that hold the spare wheel on, slip this onto the studs, replace nuts, and you are good to go from what I remember reading. They are for Toyotas, but the bolt pattern is the same as the H3.

Do you think that the weight of my 35" tire and the weight of the 60" hi-lift will be too much for the door in that one spot?

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
I have actually been want to build something just for this, other projects have taken priority lately, but cash money is always a great incentive to quick finish it up.

I'm basically thinking two wing nuts and a standard lock, keep it nice and tight to the spare, add a mount for a CB antenna, and finish it off with making it out of aluminum possibly.

You interested?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Doubt it would be too much weight. After all, look at the over the tire rack that Hunner runs on his H3.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I have actually been want to build something just for this, other projects have taken priority lately, but cash money is always a great incentive to quick finish it up.

I'm basically thinking two wing nuts and a standard lock, keep it nice and tight to the spare, add a mount for a CB antenna, and finish it off with making it out of aluminum possibly.

You interested?

Still on the fence. I'll have time to look at it maybe today. Work has been killing me. Still offering the high clearance leaf spring mounts?

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Do you think that the weight of my 35" tire and the weight of the 60" hi-lift will be too much for the door in that one spot?

My 40" tire on Hutchinson run-flat bead locks weigh much more than the combo you are considering. The H3 tailgate is very strong compared to other 4x4s. I've done about 3000 miles with my setup, including wheeling hard, and there are no signs of any kind of stress. Like mentioned before, Hunner also runs a "heavy" setup with his rack and hasn't had any problems.

Ex Umbris Venimus

falcon

For the last 2 years I've been using something pretty similar to the pictured mount. I also a year ago mounted 4 Rotopax packs full of gas 10 gallons total (5 each side) and still worked well. 2 months ago I went on a 3000 ml expedition trip driving on lots of tough trails and everything was normal.

kahiliftlock.jpg

Last edited:

is350

For the last 2 years I've been using something pretty similar to the pictured mount. I also a year ago mounted 4 Rotopax packs full of gas 10 gallons total (5 each side) and still worked well. 2 months ago I went on a 3000 ml expedition trip driving on lots of tough trails and everything was normal.

View attachment 8689
not to get off the beaten path, but how did u mount the rotopax to the spare tire? picture maybe ?

falcon

not to get off the beaten path, but how did u mount the rotopax to the spare tire? picture maybe ?

I had brackets and tubes fabricated and welded on base of tire carrier. Sometime soon I will post a detailed thread with photos from the time of fabrication.

Here are some photos of Jack mounted as well as Rotopax:

Picture 8.jpg

Picture 9.jpg

4speedfunk

Hi Lifts are the clumsiest thing to stow. They're so big & heavy, and they look nasty no matter where you put them.

Last year I drew up some CAD plans for a new prototype THORparts rear bumper. One end of bumper hinged open, and revealed a long, skinny storage compartment inside it. It was big enough to slide your jack in there, and shut the door. I had to get rid of the spare tire step well to do it but, the storage chamber was fully enclosed, and it would keep your jack out of the weather. This same rear bumper also had a winch integrated into it. It required a new spare tire bracket that mounted the spare higher on the door, so you didn't need the step well. The bad thing was...the factory rear tow bar had to go, and I wanted to keep that in place, so I never pursued it. Anyway...throwin it out there. Seemed like a nice idea to me if you had the gumption to get it all figured out.

mkmcgreg

Hi Lifts are the clumsiest thing to stow. They're so big & heavy, and they look nasty no matter where you put them.

Last year I drew up some CAD plans for a new prototype THORparts rear bumper. One end of bumper hinged open, and revealed a long, skinny storage compartment inside it. It was big enough to slide your jack in there, and shut the door. I had to get rid of the spare tire step well to do it but, the storage chamber was fully enclosed, and it would keep your jack out of the weather. This same rear bumper also had a winch integrated into it. It required a new spare tire bracket that mounted the spare higher on the door, so you didn't need the step well. The bad thing was...the factory rear tow bar had to go, and I wanted to keep that in place, so I never pursued it. Anyway...throwin it out there. Seemed like a nice idea to me if you had the gumption to get it all figured out.

If you need someone to test fit let me know mine has an aftermarket Reese hitch on it. It sits below the bumper. Sounds like an awesome design to bad about that one little snag. No way of integrating a hitch onto it?

4speedfunk

I'm sure you could just weld a receiver to it...but for liability reasons, I wanted to stay away from anything "hitchy". There was a lot more to it than just that brief description, and the weight was enormous. I'm currently researching aluminum bumpers...more interested in going the other way (less is more).

jakesz28

^^^^^^With the fuel cans and jack on the door do you hear the door rattle over bumps. I had a rear rack mounted above the spare but it sounded like the door was not latching tight.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
H3 door should be able to handle it. I'm running a 40" wheel on my and its held up like a champ. That 40" weighs a ton! I have to ask for help to raise it on the mount. Ran a 37" for two years wheeling it and never made any noise. If it rattles, it's because the mount is poorly made, or you didn't secure the HiLift pole properly.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

MuDnYrI

I mounted the Hi-Lift to the back of the GOBI. Not sure if it would work on the H3 but it may be worth a look.
Here are some pictures

109_0181.JPG

109_0182.JPG

109_0183.JPG

109_0184.JPG

109_0185.JPG

109_0187.JPG

109_0188.JPG

Chook

I mounted the Hi-Lift to the back of the GOBI. Not sure if it would work on the H3 but it may be worth a look.
Here are some pictures

Reading the original post it looks like this is where he currently has it fitted but he now wants to put an awning there.............. I have 2 options............ You could fit a "Foxwing" awning which mounts on the side but the awning does the side & the back............... Or.......You could mount the highlift on the side of the rack that doesn't have an awning. (Gobi makes a hi lift holder for their racks)