• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Moab April 2015 Black Sheep Week - April 5-11

Neo

Badfish
Sounds great, we are staying at the Motel 6 also.

Hey Bri, not sure your plans but if you had some time you might take the old lady up to Red Cliffs Lodge and go through the Hollywood Cowboy Museum. it's free and might be something scenic for you. it's a a nice drive up the river and you can walk around on their grounds down by the water and there's a winery too. the museum is down stairs to the left of the restaurant, just follow the movie posters.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Hey Bri, not sure your plans but if you had some time you might take the old lady up to Red Cliffs Lodge and go through the Hollywood Cowboy Museum. it's free and might be something scenic for you. it's a a nice drive up the river and you can walk around on their grounds down by the water and there's a winery too. the museum is down stairs to the left of the restaurant, just follow the movie posters.

Restaurant is pretty good too.

SummitUp

High On Hummers!

WHAT?! Not one H2 is joining the party? Well we're just gonna' have to remedy that!!

Yep, Kat & I are gonna' make it this time... waited until the 11th hour to commit as in the past there's ALWAYS been something in the last minute to keep us from coming, but this time is looking good. I swore to never Pike again!:)

I've got several new mods that need to be Moab proven: I've made some further modifications to the hydro-assist steering on the Deuce so hopefully there will be no further problems like I encountered last we were there. The OEM rear lower control arm (trailing arm) bushings were shot so I've replaced the stock trailing arms with Spohn HD trailing arms with adjustable Heim joints (they're unproven at this point so they damn well better hold up).

A couple of weeks ago tomp (Tom P.) contacted me and finally offered to sell the RCV half-shafts he's been sitting on for the last 5 years that he never installed. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so the deal was made and he shipped them to me and I'll be running those as well. So now instead of replacing a broken half-shaft on the trail (you know I've been there), I'll just try to break my front diff instead... NOT! :no:

I've also replaced the POS failed PSC P/S pump (the second one! high temps just kills them) and gone back to the stock GM pump but I'm now running it with a large capacity remote reservoir. I've also added a large capacity P/S cooler and plumbed it in series with the stock cooler and at the same time added a temp probe so now I can monitor the P/S fluid temps from the dash. Looking forward to seeing how hot those temps get when wheeling those big KM2's on the slick rock.

We'll be staying at the Sleep Inn, and depending on the traffic on I70 we'll be rolling in late Sunday afternoon or early evening so unless for some reason we get in real late were counting on seeing 'y'all at the Outpost Sunday night... Yeah!! :cheers:

Cheers,
~Frank

P.S. Kat says to say "Hi", and I think she's got something in the works for one of the evening meals. I better not speak for her in that regard though... :)

SummitUp

High On Hummers!
It will be great to see you and Kat again.
Same to you Dave! It's great to see JJ's coming too. Any hope that Mike & Matt might make it too?

X2 it'll be great seeing you guys, Franky Baby !!!
Right back at 'ya you old Bumper Monkey you! :giggle:

neo3_zps3wpna2mh.jpg~original

Neo_caricature.jpg~original

Silverton34

Thanks Neo, we'll take a look.

abearden

Platform built in the back of the truck and insulated the windows on the canopy. Trying out a new, comfy way to truck camp instead of being trapped between the wheel wells. Hopefully I can get most everything packed up between tonight and lunch tomorrow, then I don't have to worry about it Saturday morning.

backcountryislife

WHAT?! Not one H2 is joining the party? Well we're just gonna' have to remedy that!!

Yep, Kat & I are gonna' make it this time... waited until the 11th hour to commit as in the past there's ALWAYS been something in the last minute to keep us from coming, but this time is looking good. I swore to never Pike again!:)

I've got several new mods that need to be Moab proven: I've made some further modifications to the hydro-assist steering on the Deuce so hopefully there will be no further problems like I encountered last we were there. The OEM rear lower control arm (trailing arm) bushings were shot so I've replaced the stock trailing arms with Spohn HD trailing arms with adjustable Heim joints (they're unproven at this point so they damn well better hold up).

A couple of weeks ago tomp (Tom P.) contacted me and finally offered to sell the RCV half-shafts he's been sitting on for the last 5 years that he never installed. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so the deal was made and he shipped them to me and I'll be running those as well. So now instead of replacing a broken half-shaft on the trail (you know I've been there), I'll just try to break my front diff instead... NOT! :no:

I've also replaced the POS failed PSC P/S pump (the second one! high temps just kills them) and gone back to the stock GM pump but I'm now running it with a large capacity remote reservoir. I've also added a large capacity P/S cooler and plumbed it in series with the stock cooler and at the same time added a temp probe so now I can monitor the P/S fluid temps from the dash. Looking forward to seeing how hot those temps get when wheeling those big KM2's on the slick rock.

We'll be staying at the Sleep Inn, and depending on the traffic on I70 we'll be rolling in late Sunday afternoon or early evening so unless for some reason we get in real late were counting on seeing 'y'all at the Outpost Sunday night... Yeah!! :cheers:

Cheers,
~Frank

P.S. Kat says to say "Hi", and I think she's got something in the works for one of the evening meals. I better not speak for her in that regard though... :)

Sweet... I'll actually get to meet the one person on here that lives the closest to us! Pretty sure I could wheel from our place to yours without hardly touching road!

Got a few inches of snow last night... I'm ready to go! Packing up in a few min & heading out!

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Mykyl, Dwaine, Marc and I will be hitting the road early tomorrow morning. We have to get to and be at the Monticello Aprilfest Beer Festival on Saturday night on our way to Moab.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Platform built in the back of the truck and insulated the windows on the canopy. Trying out a new, comfy way to truck camp instead of being trapped between the wheel wells. Hopefully I can get most everything packed up between tonight and lunch tomorrow, then I don't have to worry about it Saturday morning.

Ever see one of these?

SummitUp

High On Hummers!
Sweet... I'll actually get to meet the one person on here that lives the closest to us! Pretty sure I could wheel from our place to yours without hardly touching road!

Got a few inches of snow last night... I'm ready to go! Packing up in a few min & heading out!
You definitely could! We also could meet at the half way point at the "Rock House" at the Loch Lomond Overlook on the Kingston Peak trail.

We've got 6 inches of the white stuff on the ground this morning, time to clean up with the plow. :)

Unimog-Boss.jpg~original

Calamitygirl

Born to Wheel
Hi Everyone! Looks like a great group is getting ready to go to Moab...I'm bummed we can't make it...guess it just wasn't meant to be this time. Want to get back there one of these days!

Please remember to TREAD Lightly and stay off of the precious cryptobiotic trails. One more thing, lets leave Moab better than you found it, if you see some litter pick it up. Using these precious lands to play on is a privilege not a right!

Have fun and I will have to once again live vicariously through the awesome pix and stories you guys/gals will be posting!