• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

FJ4overland

SuperBuickGuy

I went with Spartan lockers front and rear... no electrics, no air hoses, no clever springs... no sliding down roads backwards... just amazing understeer under power.

SuperBuickGuy

well, work accomplished
while I'm waiting for another carrier (an open carrier), I figured I'd pull apart the limited slip that came with the dana 60 and see its condition... rebuildable...

there's the spartan locker waiting for its new housing

so these tiny tires will be the rollers (though I will, I suppose be forced to use them)... I got them for cheap because the guy thought he had radials... uh, no. 36x12.5 16.5 on 8" rims... but they are basically brand new

much trimming would need to occur to put these where the stock axle is located

anyway, the rest of my week is going to be doing less fun stuff that shop stuff.... cpr, etc....

4speedfunk

Have you considered a stretch on the wheelbase? I have a buddy that is building a Cummins-powered TJ, and the stretch really helped with the rear 4-link geometry (and also the large tires). I think he ended up with a 4" stretch on the rear and a 3" or so on the front. Also...he is running 14-bolt/Dana 60 (physically very large) so the extra room really helps get the suspension installed. It probably adds some high-speed stability too. On any other rig...probably not an issue but, your FJ is really short. That last photo is the first time I've seen the entire truck in one frame, and now I see how stubby it really is.

This thing should be insane with V8 power! Can't wait to see it in action.

Last edited:

SuperBuickGuy

the answer is I am -

just not as much as the self-appointed experts on Pirate think I should... the other side of the coin is turning radius, you can stretch the WB to long bed, extended cab truck - but it'll kill your ability to maneuver on a trail.

4speedfunk

True. Too much wheelbase and you'll be as handicapped as an H3T!

And keep chopping (no matter the rubs). I totally get it.

Cyouincourt007

Pavement Prince
"Self appointed experts" lol...I agree with 4 speed, this things going to be raw and fun to drive I imagine.
Is the Spartan locker the same thing you mentioned above "all gear trac lock" or something totally different?

SuperBuickGuy

loc-rite was the first, to my knowledge there are 3 companies who make this style of locker - they all simply replace the side gears with a bit that ratchets... brutally simple, but effective.

Cyouincourt007

Pavement Prince
Cool, simple things are great, Scotty once said "the more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop the drain" , as he pulled chips and swapped them out to sabotage a ship. Needless to say that ship wasn't going too far from space station anytime soon.

SuperBuickGuy

icon1.jpg

back to opinions... first... look at both of these ICON builds

in one, the rear wheel is forward, the other, the wheel is back. I propose doing both - opening up the rear fender and extending the rear section 3 1/2" to both clear the new tires and still have a traditional-looking FJ40. Front axle is moving forward 2" or so (I want the tightest turning radius, so to clear the 38s, the front needs to move forward a bit).
but the question. Broncos pull off the same elevation of rear wheel well and the front wheel well - so do I simply move the rear back 3 1/2" and weld in a filler or do I do a bit more work and raise the wheel well thus keeping the proportion?
obviously this requires sheet metal work, and I think I can fake knowing what I'm doing, but that proportion is just being a bugger to visualize.

4speedfunk

On my buddy's TJ the rear 4-link geometry drove that bus. Without moving the axle rearward...the links were so short that they really didn't do much. The rear driveshaft ended up being less than two feet long....and that's with the stretch!

SuperBuickGuy

the driveshaft will be ~20" .... actually, today I'm planning on pull the rear out and eyeballing it with the new rear... that will answer that question. In other news, a set of suggestions on IH8MUD led me to this solution for the rear opening.

SMT-76875_xl.jpg

SuperBuickGuy

anyway, more considerations

the line is where the wheel is moved forward.
stella is not sure that moving the wheel forward 2" is a good idea

still not sure and is stepping away from the guy with the camera

Kensie is just here for the treats

moved forward a bit

this is ride height

squaring holes

SuperBuickGuy

this is the interesting stuff to me - it's a lot of bookish crap; but it truly is, to me, the stuff that makes or breaks any car.

On Pirate is a calculator that Dan BarCroft created in 2004.

this kind of thing you get by using it

Four wheeler has a pretty detailed article that kind of gives baselines with where to start.... of course, it helps to have done a suspension or twenty in the past...
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/suspension-brakes/131-0307-four-link-suspension-part-2/

as you know by my roll bars, I'm more visual than paper - so get the baselines and put them on the floor to see if it works

then transfer the "optimal" measurements to the frame to see if it will work.... I think I'll be fine if I can drill a hole through the transfer case.... bright side is the top mount is in a great place.... only everything relies upon stuff fitting... the solution is to raise the frame 2" or so... which works out pretty good because the transfer case cross member, is 2" lower than the frame... I honestly don't plan this, but the reason it's tacked rather than bolted is because I was afraid I was going to have to move it....

this is what it will look like in the vehicle

anyway, tonight I verify, and tomorrow as well, Wednesday I get the upper support and so Thursday I can burn it in.... I may weld the lower brackets and the cross member in place along with the frame mounts.... presuming, again, that the numbers work out

SuperBuickGuy

Here's my tentative starting point
4 Bar Linkage Calculator v3.0
Vehicle CG40.00
Sprung Mass CG49.00in
Anti-Squat CG43.42in
Suspension Geometry:
Upper Linksxyz
Frame End23.00015.00026.000in
Axle End0.0004.50026.000in
Vector23.00010.5000.000in
Length25.283in
Unit Vector0.90970.41530.00001.0000
Intercept-9.85714.500026.0000in
Roll Point-9.85710.000026.0000in
Force6183.439lb (Tension)
Force Vector5625.0002567.9350.000lb
Vertical Slope0.4565in/in
Horizontal Slope0.0000in/in
Lower Linksxyz
Frame End33.0003.75021.000in
Axle End3.00015.50018.000in
Vector30.000-11.7503.000in
Length32.358in
Unit Vector0.9271-0.36310.09271.0000
Intercept42.574516.675017.7000in
Roll Point42.57450.000021.9574in
Force-8446.958lb (Compression)
Force Vector-7831.3253067.269-783.133lb
Vertical Slope-0.3917in/in
Horizontal Slope0.100in/in
Geometry Summary:
Anti-Squat68.179%
Roll Axis Slope-0.0771in/in (Roll Understeer)
Roll Center Height25.240in
Roll Axis Angle-4.409degrees (Roll Understeer)
Instant Center X-Axis83.000in
Instant Center Z-Axis26.000in

SuperBuickGuy

well, glad to be of help
flares - Jeeps make for good donor vehicles ;)

so I don't know what I'm going to do with the rear edge... at this moment, I think it would look best if I decreased the rear, upper radius - but that would be a bit of work.... I could just shorten it...

SuperBuickGuy

well, I moved the flare up a bit, did some creative work with painter's tape, and think I have a plan... no picture of that work, but a plan...

in other news... braces n brackets

started welding but didn't finish because I didn't want to put too much heat in it.... I also ran out of shielding gas, so that slowed things down a bit too

and with coil spring plates sitting in place

I also think I'm going to make this beast run sooner rather than later, so I got a carb

that's all for tonight... thanks for reading