• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

weird sound at the front.

ahana

hi everyone, from the time i got my h3 back from its new transmission whenever i press the brakes while am driving and the hole front goes down their is a weird loud noise from the front i believe in the axle area. i have a rancho lift and some lift with the torsion bars. i have removed the front bump stops. i don't think the noise is coming from the transmission because its not from that area. also i don't know if it may be caused by this but my radiator has a plastic around the fun and its not right in place(though the sound is different), i can move it right and left. happy for any suggestion!

Hunner

Since you removed the bump stops have you checked to see if the steering knuckle is rubbing a wheel when the nose dives? or did you have them out before?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
If the noise is coming on with braking I would take a look at two things (in addition to suspension bits): crossmember bushing and motor mounts. If either is broken your engine will move around causing noise. For example, your fan is connected to the engine but the shroud is attached to the body. If the motor moves a lot the fan could hit the shroud.

I don't know how the front diff is supported with the Rancho, but if it is loose or broken that could lead the engine to rock back and forth, helping to create those sounds.

I've broken four or five motor mounts so far and gone through the same number of crossmembers.