• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

The Greatest Collection of Trails & Parks

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
I used to have one of the biggest collections of legal place to go off-road on the web. I still have all the places, but I took it down because the code was dated and needed to reworked. About a month ago, I knew that the time had come were I had everything I needed to build it with all the things I dream of in the past. So I have been hard at work with the little time that I do find and have reached the point where I feel I should share it.

The code still has a way to go before I'll finish it, but I have reached a point where I need people to test the code and offer their opinions. Keep in mind it is rough and not all the features are in place, I even need to style bunch of the code, but for the most part everything is there in some form.

4x4-Maps-Trails.jpg

I will be rating the trails 1 through 5 and have a sixth for parks. The colors are:

1. Easy - Light Grey stone
  2. Moderate - Deep Water Blue
  3. Difficult - Commando Green
  4. Very Difficult - Deep Cherry Red
  5. Extreme - Sunburst Orange

• Park - Black

I also will try to indicate what the trails are like with an icon on top of the colors

• Beach
  • Desert
  • Mountains
  • Grassland
  • Swampland
  • Woods
  • And any others as I feel needed

I gave the code the ability to upload GPX tracks of a trail and have them plotted on the map and mathematically pull data from it like the

• Average Speed
  • Max Speed
  • Max Elevation
  • Min Elevation
  • Elevation Climb up
  • Elevation Climb down
  • graphic representation of the elevation profile too.

Well I can only talk about it so much, so the first trail I reworked is Hell's Revenge can be seen here http://schwarttzy.com/hells-revenge/ and the map that will eventually compile all the places is here http://schwarttzy.com/trails-and-parks/

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
That would be an invaluable resource for everyone. When are you planning to make it out to Moab to run trails with the Black Sheep?

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
We all know someone who did Hell's in about 58 minutes. :giggle: (DesertH3 was with him...)

If you need some GPS tracks from trails in the Moab, or even the CO area, let me know. I have GPS'd every trail run.

Of course, you can also get GPS routes from traildamage.com too.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
We all know someone who did Hell's in about 58 minutes. :giggle: (DesertH3 was with him...)

If you need some GPS tracks from trails in the Moab, or even the CO area, let me know. I have GPS'd every trail run.

Of course, you can also get GPS routes from traildamage.com too.

Well, I'm not going to rip traildamage.com off so it would be great to see what you got if your willing.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
What format do you prefer them in? I typically use the Garmin protocol (.kmz extension). Also, do you want milestones as well in the same file?

I can convert to any format, but I've always felt that GPX is the best format because it isn't owned by a company. However I prefer the raw file that came from the device that recorded it the most.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
So I finally figured out how to get the trail length and time. Length was a bit interested because originally I was going to calculate the curvature of the earth into it. However later I realized that this wouldn't help make the numbers more accurate unless the gps recording only one point every mile or something. Since a typical GPX track is recording ever 30ft. and curvature of the earth at that distance is pointless I just used the Pythagorean Theorem.

I decided to hold of on the icons for what the Terrain is going to be like because I feel to retain the level of professionalize I want, that I need to hire some one for this.

So things I have left, but may not get around to for a while, is to:

• try to have the GPX track get colored the same as trail rating
  • full screen option
  • instructions and documentation of everything
  • Start and Stop icon for the trail
  • button to reset the map

So I guess I need to start populating my list of all the places.