• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Road Trip into the US Aug 26th, 2013, looking for input!

RamRod

Hey guys,

My girl friend and I decided last night that we wanted to go somewhere neither of us have been before, so we are taking the T on a trip down to Yellowstone.
Below is out proposed route, but it is subject to change based on members input!

roadtrip.JPG

We plan on spending the first night in Montana, stay a full day, then make the rest of the way down to Yellowstone where we will stay for 3-4 days, then start to make our way back up a different route and camp, hike, explore on our way home.

I thought I would see if any members had any info on must see places, trails to take the T down, to hike, water falls worth seeing, places to camp.

Thanks guys!!

P.S. We would both love to spend as much time in the back country as we can.

Any input would be fantastic, and could change our trio for the better.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I'll give a suggestion.
Your trip down to yellowstone via Glacier is a great and beautiful drive. However, for your trip home....
Exit the northeaster exit of yellowstone, and take the Beartooth Hwy to Red Lodge MT. There are a few trails that should be open. It is supposed to be the most beautiful hwy in American, can't say if that is true, but it sure is beautiful.
And if camping, I highly suggest the Greenough campground, 12 miles west of Red Lodge.

Then from Red Lodge you can take a short trip into Cody WY. When leaving Red Lodge, there are a few roads you can take north up to the Interstate.

Beartooth Mesa
_DSC0319_Proc_web_zps5c9d46cc.jpg

Gardner Lake (Beartooth Hwy)
_DSC0356_Proc_web_zps49d3e820.jpg

Waterfall off the hwy
_DSC0401_Proc_web_zpsfb7a6649.jpg

Greenough campground....
greenough_zps698949d7.jpg

RamRod

Thanks f5moab!

I will add that to the list!

Looks stunning!

Any other suggestions!?

I will be loading up a RTT on Sunday, so I will be trailerless and ready to tackle some forestry roads and light trails if there are any other suggestions :D

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Naturally, you need to visit the Grand Tetons south of Yellowstone.
webTetons-1.jpg

Inside the teton park, off the main road, Moose-Wilson, there is a road that goes east, Snake River Ranch road and it goes over to the Snake river for some great views. Not technical at all, except for one hill up and down where someone, poured tons of 1-2" gravel on the up and down slope. That was two years ago, so it might be more stable now.
snakerivermap_zps3215401d.jpg

Taken off the Snake River Ranch road
webHummerGrandTetons-1.jpg

Snake River
webSnakeRiver-1.jpg

And don't forget Jenny Lake inside the Teton NP
webViewFromJennyLake1-1.jpg

Between the North Teton exit/entrance and Yellowstone's south exit/entrance there is a road, just north of Jackson Lake, called the Ashton-Flagg Ranch Road, that goes west over to Idaho. It's dirt, rough in some places but some nice views...
ashton_flaggmap_zpsd1a90b04.jpg

webfromFlaggRanchRoad-1.jpg

Once in Idaho, you can go south and get some great shots of the Tetons from the western side; something not done that often...
webTetonsfromIDMid-2.jpg

High Five H2

Great info from F5 (aka Doug). I would add, don't cross the border with a handgun....

ooops... nevermind, that's advice for going North, not South.

Welcome to the US!

I rofl'ed.

looks like you have a great trip planned. you could spend months at yellowstone and not see everything. that place is rad. hopefully i'll be planning a trip like this soon.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
That entire area, eastern ID, western WY, and western and southern MT are, in my humble opinion, the most beautiful areas of the USA. Mountains, rolling hills plains, bears, deer, elk, bison, pronghorns all over the place, And plenty of tourists.:giggle: You can't go wrong....

RamRod

saw some wild fires in the distance but nothing like what was shown in that news clip (some of the hotsprings were emitting more steam then the fire was smoke)

Really cool area! Gald we went when we did (I couldn't image how busy it would be at peak season!)

Here is a fav pic from the trip, found a one way gravel road leading out of the park from Mammoth Hotsprings:

rtt4.JPG

Thanks for the tips and info guys! I wish I had more time there to check out all the different things to do around there. The Tetons were just too much further south then we had time to go, and we never made it out east of the park (into Cody) which would have been nice as my family has its roots and history in that part of the US (there is a small spring/creek in WY named after one of my ancestors who was shot in said spring/creek over a sheep and cattle turf war!)

Whitefish/Flat head lake was a blast! I loved that part of Montana!

Need less to say I will be back and hopefully able to see ever more next time! Cheap fuel, beer, chicken & waffle flavored chips.... whats not to like!!

Next I think the GF and I will be heading down the West Coast!