• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

OK... I Gotta Ask... What is the Area.....?

crank

The Master Blaster!
OK.... I gotta ask what the spot next to the left front turn signal is on a H1??? It's the indentation where something should be..
I know that sounded stupid, but I guy at work saw my gallery of H1 pictures in my office and he noticed the open spot next to the front turn light. The other side doesnt have that opening... I really never thought about it before, and I couldn't answer it. I did see what looked like some kind of light located there on a Military H1.
Anyone know what I'm talking about?:huh:

M

MUTAINT

The spot is for some kind of special light used at night when you can't use the headlights. The H1 owners and service men will know the exact name and use.

hummvee1.jpg

hummvee2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

crank

The Master Blaster!
Thanks Mutaint! Thats the booger there!
It sort of looks like the old german war movies with the light that had the slit cover. Possibly would allow the driver to see while night driving but aircraft above had a harder time seeing it????? Did I get it right??

M

MUTAINT

They are called "BLACKOUT LIGHTs". The fiberglass hoods are interchangeable between the two versions, right down to the mounting pad for the blackout light (the blackout light is absent on the civilian Hummer, of course). The military version has different parking and taillights, and the lighting system actually has two blackout stages. The first stage leaves the lower portion of the two parking lights and taillights illuminated, while the full blackout only illuminates a single small light on the front that is about the strength of a small flashlight bulb. This light enables the driver to see about 40 feet ahead of the truck with the aid of military-spec night-vision goggles.

Read more: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/roadtests/military_vs_civilian_hummers/index.html#ixzz1eUKTJdjP

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILITARY-HU...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c1dcb5233

Last edited by a moderator:

Trekker

That Guy
I've got an LED blackout drive light that I use for night wheeling. You'd be surprised how well you can see even without night vision devices.

DSC07991_edited.jpg

Expendable

yup, blackout lights. also Humvee hoods have some differences. I know member Kurt knows the differences. something different about rivets, etc.

Kurt

I've seen a few owners install a military blackout light but hollow it out and install a winch remote connector with a flip up cover.