• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Oem UCP vs Aftermarket options

I[OIIIIIIIO]I

Hello,

I recently purchased an '09 Adventure that came with the factory ladder style UCP.

While I am sure it is adequate for now, I was considering a swap to a smooth design such as the ones Schwarttzy offers.

I think that the smooth design would allow me to slide over things as opposed to hanging up on them.

The only downsides I could imagine with the swap is reduced access to components and mud collecting.

Thoughts?

Vdawg1115

I had the OEM ladder style with Thorparts plates welded to them. Incredibly durable setup. Recently switched to the Schwarttzy skidplates. Haven’t taken the Schwarttzy plates off-road yet. But I like the smooth look and more coverage the Schwarttzy plates offer. I don’t think mud will be an issue as I had mud caked in the OEM style with thor plates. I think the Schwarttzy plates will be easier to clean with a powerwasher as opposed to my old setup because the ladder would catch mud into corners and crevices on the ladder UCP. Lastly and most important for me was that the Schwarttzy plates don’t seem to hang as low as the ladder setup I had. You save a 1/4” or more of ground clearance.:giggle:

Bowser-II

The ladder plates work okay but they do get hung up way too often for me to recommend. I've get a set of the CBPhoto which work well enough for most two tracks on the east coast, until they don't.

You won't regret going to a flat style like Schwarttzy, if you wheel at all then you will with the ladder style eventually.

I'm looking to buy or build a set in the next year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I[OIIIIIIIO]I

Guys, thanks for confirming my suspicions. I think I'll sell them this summer and buy a set of Schwarttzy's instead.

Are there any other options I should look at too?

I also plan to do the Shock mounts as well.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I've run OEM for 11 years, with couple extra plates added to block holes. They've served me well. Never had an issue with getting hung up on rocks solely because the design of the UCP. Obviously pick what appeals to you. Just adding one endorsement for a beefed up version of OEM. But then again, I've pretty much only taken my H3 to church on Sundays.

rascole

+1 for the OEM since you already have them. Add the plates and you're 90% covered of what others do. I own a Schwarttzy rear plate because I have a Rancho and OEM will not work.

Acer4LO

Schwarttzy's skids are definitely worth buying, especially if you do not have rancho lift kit. The first H3 I had was a 2006 Base and wasn't lifted and I used these things A LOT! These plates give you a lot peace of mind that you aren't damaging your undercarriage when you get high centered. In my experience they do collect some mud and rocks, but nothing major. It pretty easy to remove mud chunks in pressure wash it.

First two pictures here are the plates on my 2006 H3

i-3nxtM2q.jpg

i-WqnrB2z.jpg

Repainted and moved to my new 2008 Alpha. Front Skid modified to fit rancho lift kit.

i-K6knRRf-X3.jpg

I[OIIIIIIIO]I

Wow you aren't kidding they look well used!

I also like the coverage and smooth surface. My previous H3 did get hung up a few times but I didn't have anything, only the front factory engine skids.