• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

No drive

hummedout

Thank you for your reply. Your miles are beyond the expected life of the 4L60E Transmission in a heavy FT 4X4 H3 (you/we do not know the history of when/if it was ever rebuilt/replaced) so as I suspected, your Trans needs a rebuild.

I've been driving and H3 continuously since Feb 2007. My current 09 H3 Alpha Off Road has performance and off road mods and has been 100% reliable. If you buy a used 15 year old vehicle with high miles, if the prior owner(s) had no clue what maintenance is about, there is going to be a lot of work to do to make up for age, miles and lack of care. You have started down that path, just keep after it and you will have your daily driver.

Best of luck.
Oh man you just told me my future with this,

Ok I got past the front diff

A cv axle

The h3 had been doing good,wanted to go off-road but hadn't had the chance,it is a dedicated dailt driver,when I'm not in it ,wife is taking it ,

Coming home today I hear this crazy noise and it was losing drive

Pull over n do a fluid check and fluid was ok,motor oil barely touching,
Drive again normal and went to make a left hand turn and it went to neutral,had reverse,tried 4 lock low n hi ,nothing,has reverse and now in third it drives,stoplight and again it neutral,got to second and it makes it home,wtf

Is this a tranny fried ?
Money pitt h3

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I saw that you purchased a transfer case, did you replace it? Also, a mechanic said the transmission had failed - has anything been done to address it or corroborate that opinion?

hummedout

No sir I purchased a front differential,
Had a mechanic at a shop put it in.
They called n said it had a bad transmission and said it wouldn't shift outta first gear,
I went and put the shift motor in transfer case the correct way and it was fine.

Worked great for two weeks and last nite it jacked up again,
This time it had reverse but no d or 3,it would go in 1 n 2,
So now I'm on the hunt to fix 3 and d with no drive,bits now the tranny I believe,hopefully just a shift solonoid,
It has 250000 miles on it and it's a money pit,I'd love to have one with low miles,but this one I think has had better days,cost 4k for hummer and hadn't had it a month,drive it 2 weeks and I'm at 7k and it's broke again

hummedout

No sir I purchased a front differential,
Had a mechanic at a shop put it in.
They called n said it had a bad transmission and said it wouldn't shift outta first gear,
I went and put the shift motor in transfer case the correct way and it was fine.

Worked great for two weeks and last nite it jacked up again,
This time it had reverse but no d or 3,it would go in 1 n 2,
So now I'm on the hunt to fix 3 and d with no drive,bits now the tranny I believe,hopefully just a shift solonoid,
It has 250000 miles on it and it's a money pit,I'd love to have one with low miles,but this one I think has had better days,cost 4k for hummer and hadn't had it a month,drive it 2 weeks and I'm at 7k and it's broke again
How do. Send a video of one minute to you guys to watch,tripped me out !the front driveshaft at the cv joint was unreal hot,smokin like a rock co

Doc Olds

If the prior owners never changed out the original front drive shaft CV joint (or did a rebuild on it) and also ignored U Joints, I would expect the CV and all the U Joints are beyond their expected life with your 250K miles. The goal with those is about 100-110K miles, and probably a bit more. We could even say 150K miles, but you are a long way past that.

Usually the front drive CV (at the T Case end) starts making noise and vibration to let you know it needs attention. Same for U Joints. If the CV is getting very hot, it is worn out and would accelerate the wearing out of the Trans since it is not freely turning and doing its job.

Rebuild or replace the CV and plan on the same with the Trans.

hummedout

If the prior owners never changed out the original front drive shaft CV joint (or did a rebuild on it) and also ignored U Joints, I would expect the CV and all the U Joints are beyond their expected life with your 250K miles. The goal with those is about 100-110K miles, and probably a bit more. We could even say 150K miles, but you are a long way past that.

Usually the front drive CV (at the T Case end) starts making noise and vibration to let you know it needs attention. Same for U Joints. If the CV is getting very hot, it is worn out and would accelerate the wearing out of the Trans since it is not freely turning and doing its job.

Rebuild or replace the CV and plan on the same with the Trans.
I have a video of the front axle cv joint smokin like a freight train,I have been told that is what probably made d n 3 go out. video is one minute long but I’m having problems putting it on the form.