• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Need advice from Veterans

Panzer07

Air Force always have it relax and IMO one of the easiest branches 2nd'ing navy and a draw between army and marines. Never had crappy food at Air Force mess halls lol.

Torres

Last edited:

JPaul

I tried to get in as an officer, but they ended up putting a hold on bringing in more at the time (it was around 2009 or so I think). I found out later it was because they were actually doing some reductions of their numbers at the time. Not sure if that has improved or not. Or maybe my recruiting officer just didn't think I was good enough and didn't want to tell me that...

Hercules-H3T

Air Force always have it relax and IMO one of the easiest branches 2nd'ing navy and a draw between army and marines. Never had crappy food at Air Force mess halls lol.

Torres

I understand people call it the easiest branch. I am interested in flight and engineering so I thought airforce would be best

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Panzer07

I understand people call it the easiest branch. I am interested in flight and engineering so I thought airforce would be best

Aside from all the joke and scheiße talk.
The air force is more of a book smart/testing branch than a physical demanding branch unless you go PJ, and they do have way more comforts basic is shorter lower pt standards.
Anyways I know that their scores to get in are high, i can't speak how their officer program works, but depending on what you want to flight you might want to consider marines or army both branches also have helicopters and plane pilots as well (navy). Depending on what you want to flight you should see what your options are, just know that most pilots army/marines don't like air force pilots too much, they say they too cocky and what not.
Idk when it comes to the engineering programs since that just sounds to hard for me.
Benefits and what not are pretty standard overall maybe one offers higher commission bonuses or perks. As well one might have more vacancies than the other.

Torres

Hercules-H3T

The air force is more of a book smart/testing branch than a physical demanding branch unless you go PJ, and they do have way more comforts basic is shorter lower pt standards.
Anyways I know that their scores to get in are high, i can't speak how their officer program works, but depending on what you want to flight you might want to consider marines or army both branches also have helicopters and plane pilots as well (navy). Depending on what you want to flight you should see what your options are, just know that most pilots army/marines don't like air force pilots too much, they say they too cocky and what not.
Idk when it comes to the engineering programs since that just sounds to hard for me.
Benefits and what not are pretty standard overall maybe one offers higher commission bonuses or perks. As well one might have more vacancies than the other.

Torres

Hey how did you remove the lower grille extensions?
The ones that hide the tires from the front.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta

Torres

When I was in, Army hated Air Force, Marines hated Navy and we all hated the reserves.:giggle: That was in the bars....out in the jungle we all appreciated each other. Air force and Navy saved our butts many times with Napalm and other types of cool ordinance that dropped from the sky, and we on occasion helped to save an air base or two. The Air Force guys sure ate better than we did, and had nicer accommodations on their bases.

Regardless, do some intensive research into the different services, and talk with as many people; with recent service, from each service. (My experiences are from the late 60s, in 'Nam, so things have changed "slightly":thumbs: since I served.)

Hercules-H3T

Wow I have a great deal of respect for anyone who served in 'Nam, and for all other Vets.
God Bless.

poncho1965

If you really want to join the service, might as well use your college time to good benefit and go in as an officer if you can. Its a plus on your resume that will pay you back in the future. What branch? I don't know. In retrospect, I think Navy or Air Force would have been the way to go for me. I don't regret my service time at all, it helped me mature and grow, and pave the way for where I am now. I'll be curious to know what you decide!

DugK

Probationary Member
My Uncle gave me some of the best advice when I was thinking about joining. I didn't have much direction. His advice was....plan on two enlistments. The first was to pick out something you want to do and go have fun. Second enlistment was to established a skill and career. More advice was to get stationed away from home and volunteer for everything that sounds like it could be fun. I loved my time in the Marine Corps.
Make the best of it and enjoy the sights. Take the good and leave bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panzer07

Hey how did you remove the lower grille extensions?
The ones that hide the tires from the front.

Angle grinder.

Do you think it would be smart to join the military at all?

I believe so, you'll learn scheiße you won't learn anywhere else.
My take would be to go enlisted first at least 2-3 years get a couple slaps from the green weenie and then pick commission.
Nor would this get you experience but also respect from your troops since then won't see you like a cherry butter bar. But rather a butter bar, who might not a thing or two.
That's just my take. Sensory would be retain so your 2-3 years would count towards yours retirement as well you'll be pay as a butter bar that has been 2-3 years. Etc. if you just want to pick up commission then. Humbleness would be your best tool.

Torres

Hercules-H3T

Thanks to all you guys. I will probably join the navy as an officer after college. I don't want to join the oh so hated air force lol. I love to see the sights.
Thank you to all the Veterans that have served for our country and our freedom.

Odimus

Thanks to all you guys. I will probably join the navy as an officer after college. I don't want to join the oh so hated air force lol. I love to see the sights.
Thank you to all the Veterans that have served for our country and our freedom.

Just retired from the Air Force after 23 years...there is a lot all of the services have to offer. Right now the AF is looking to boost their ranks. Getting in as an "O" depends a lot on what your degree is in and what they are looking for at that time. Technical and math/sciences. Get in touch with different recruiters, they have gotten a lot better, they can help arrange a visit for you to a base/post/deck, to see what home station life may be like...the work/ops tempos. Closest Air Force Base for you to see would probably be Dyess.