• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Loss of engine power question

Hills

Good evening,

Yesterday while camping, my buddies went out riding on their bikes. One of them took a rock to the eye about 15 miles away via logging roads. Once one of the other riders got back to camp, and notified us that he needed to go to the hospital. We drove swiftly on very steep roads. After about 14 miles came a very hard long incline. My truck started going woooom wooom wooom... and no matter how hard I pressed the pedal, I could not get above 5-10 mph. So I stopped for a minute, and put it in park, turned the heat on high to try and suck it away from the engine. . Then I shifted back into drive, and it was fine. I made it the last mile up. They took him to the hospital in the Tacoma, and I stayed behind to let it cool down for about an hour. Checked everything out that I could see, took the gas cap off for a moment. No dash lights came on. There were not any funny smells, (other than it being kind of hot just below the 3/4 mark) I decided to try and drive back to camp. Made it fine. Drove home this morning 64 miles, and it starts doing it again while going up over the summit.. and I was running it very easy, 45-55mph the whole way. Thoughts?:huh:

Mr_Rich

Your symptom sounds like a similar problem I had with my truck. The "Hummer Tech" column works well for these discussions. However, I had a DTC 2135 which I repaired with replacement of my throttle body. While the codes are present the vehicle becomes undriveable until they are cleared. Once this problem appears it seems to get worse until it is repaired. Keep that in mind.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
There can be codes stored in the system that you might not see. Actually, that does sound like a throttle body symptom I had with another vehicle (non-Hummer). On that vehicle it was the throttle position sensor on the throttle body.

kilroy

I had the TPS go out on mine this winter and this sounds similar. Truck would sit at a light chugging like crazy and take off verrrry slowly(about 50yds or more to reach 25-30mph) and would not accellerate beyond 40-45mph. Pulled the positive cable for 20 minutes and after that it ran like it should all the way to the dealer, only problem was it only got about 7mpg for that 35mile trip.

Rosa Hernandez

Probationary Member
I have a 08 Hummer H3 i been having problems with losing power, vibrates, traction problems comes on. so i had put some new spark plugs,put a new throttle body,new battery, still in the shop now, the mechanic is still dum founded. so far the mechanic is charging me $200 for the services, he says he has worked on the wiring and ck some of the electrical wiring. still running a lil ruff after 30 mins. so can someone please help. dont want to take it to another mechanic. thanks rosa

Mr_Rich

One of the things I learned from the garage I take my vehicles to; monitors count as well as codes. You might not have a CEL, but a monitor is set and accumulates until it reaches the threshold to set a code. I think it's like a three-to-five ratio as it was explained to me. At least three of the five are clear and the vehicle is testable. The point I'm making is that sometimes diagnostic skills are needed to sort out the monitors when you don't detect a hard code. I hope I explained that okay.

derian06

Red Rockett
I have a similar problem whenever my alpha reaches 3/4 heat, I couldn't even back out of my own steep drive way I lost so much power, but at 1/2 it is like a race horse. Any thoughts?

Ghostbuster

I have a similar problem whenever my alpha reaches 3/4 heat, I couldn't even back out of my own steep drive way I lost so much power, but at 1/2 it is like a race horse. Any thoughts?

Probably to protect the engine. You might want to do a radiator flush and see if that helps.