• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Leg 4 - Gary H/way & old section of Gunbarrel H/way

nugget

The 4[SUP]th[/SUP] leg of the trip was the Gary H/way and a section of the old Gunbarrel H/way (yellow Section), both Len Beadell gems which have not seen a grader blade since they were cut in the 60’s.

The Gary H/way starts at Gary Junction. Just off well 33 of the Canning Stock Route, intersects with the Talawana Track at Windy Junction and the Gunbarrel at Everard Junction. I then took the Gunbarrel and Heather H/ways to Warburton…all “H/Ways” being very rough, unmaintained tracks. The yellow line is this section.

ExpeditiontoSFA3.jpg

Gary Junction is in the Gibson Desert marking the intersection of the Gary Junction Rd and the Gary H/Way and is marked with a replica of the original sign made by Len Beadell. He punched the original on an aluminium plate bolted to a flap cut in the top of an old drum and folded up. The bolt holes were made using his service revolver!

sfa2gjh0381.jpg

The Gary H/way is extremely remote and littered with white ant mounds which are hard as steel and just waiting to take a toll on the suspension, tyre or rim of the unwary traveller.

sfa2gjh0430.jpg

Wormy Whau Whau Well was drilled by an exploration team in 1970. The bore casing and the poly cap are still intact.

sfa2gjh0438.jpg

Veevers Meteorite Crater was discovered by a survey team in 1975. About the size of a grid iron field it has obviously filled a bit over the years but it was still pretty awesome to stand exactly where something from outer space has hit earth.

sfa2gjh0446.jpg

sfa2gjh0450.jpg

The track in and out to the meteorite was more moon than earth like with the effect made worse by recent fires in the desert making it look a pimple riddled version of Gunners right bum cheek.

sfa2gjh0440.jpg

They reckon there are a million feral camels in the centre of Australia and I reckon they are right..they are everywhere.

sfa2gjh0461.jpg

There is a lot of scrub close to the edge of the track

sfa21640.jpg

Eventually it took its toll on my UHF ariel but nothing a section of rubber fuel line and some gaffer tape couldn’t rectify.

sfa2gjh0510.jpg

sfa2gjh0511.jpg

Last edited:

nugget

No problem, only 300kms from help in ANY direction and I am on my own! Tried to start which it did but as soon as I tried to accelerate it stopped….not good. Turns out a 1” branch speared up along the inside of the chassis rail and pinched the fuel line going to the fuel cooler. Luckily the line was not split and once I eventually managed to clear it, I was on my way again, travelling considerable slower and doing around every twig on the track, with a heart rate higher than the tacho.

sfa21546.jpg

In places the country side was more open

sfa21556.jpg

And in others it was very typical of the northern Gibson when not burnt

sfa21618.jpg

Windy Junction is the intersection of Gary H/Way and the Talawana Track. Love the “Visitor Jars”

sfa21539.jpg

sfa21541.jpg

sfa21543.jpg

sfa21544.jpg

The desert never ceases to amaze and once again, in the middle of nowhere, Lake Cohen

sfa21661.jpg

nugget

Quick detour to Mulgan Rock hole which was found by the explorer Carnegie in 1896. As I was at the tail end of the season, it was dry but would fill after a reasonable rain.

sfa21671.jpg

sfa21670.jpg

Sections of the track were quite good along this section…by local standards!

sfa21704.jpg

Everard Junction where Gary H/Way meets the Gunbarrel H/Way is a pretty desolate affair.

sfa21714.jpg

sfa21715.jpg

Pretty tough on the local camels too it would appear….

sfa21718.jpg

The Gunbarrel leading to Mt Beadell…

sfa21721.jpg

Mt Beadell was obviously named after Len in recognition of the work he did opening up the region. A monument has been erected on top .

sfa21742.jpg

You get a pretty good panoramic view of the country.

sfa21745.jpg

The track gets a lot more interesting and the original track gets down right gnarly in parts with huge washouts. Sorry you can not see them in these pics.

sfa21732.jpg

Pretty good illustration of why it was called the Gunbarrel…

sfa21734.jpg

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great pictures. Wondering how you Aussies can call something a highway that isn't paved and hasn't seen a grader in 50 years though. :)

LagunaH1

Heheh, do you guys use the metric system? -I grew up in a country that uses the metric system and I still think it's vastly superior to what's used here :)

40 km/h is a pretty good speed off pavement, i wouldn't want to hit *anything* at that speed. For my American friends: 40 Km/h translates to roughly 25 mph :giggle:

nugget

Yep we have been metric for a lot of years now. Currency changed in 1966 I think it was and then weights and measures a bit later. Funnily I do all my work in metric, so something is say 1800mm long but I still think of someone as 6' tall! I think Gunner has cast some sort of spell to have me in a time warp:)