• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

How much to ask for my truck?

Expendable

Interested in hearing fellow Hummer Owner's opinions on how much to ask since there has been some interest in buying my truck locally.

First and foremost I do not want to sell my truck but at the same time 'if the price is right'. But I'm trying to figure out what price would be right. I want to be able to be able to buy another Hummer with what I get. I'm taking into account the cost of a 'C' service (as well as possibly batteries, tires, ball joints, idler/pitman arm, etc) as maintenance that I would do if I got another truck. Also the time and money I would spend in checking the possible buys in person and or having a PPI done.

I have a 1995 Wagon that I recently drove from Los Angeles to Pismo (just under 200 miles one way) and back.
She has 133,600 miles+ (I driver her at least 2-3 times a week so this goes up regularly)
-New Optima Red Top batteries in September,
-New Hankook MTs with less than 500 miles on them and date codes of February this year.
-Mounted on Cepek 17" wheels.
-Cepek 17" Spare with old style MT/R
-Stinger Spare Tire and Jerry Can Carrier
-Luverne Brush Guard
-Warn 12K Factory Winch
-AM General LED Tails
-Trucklite Phase 7 LED Headlights (newest style)
-New Idler/Pitman installed this February
-HummerDan Rocker Panel Protection

I think that is the main details of my truck

My idea was no lower than $40K for my truck. Asking prices on our trucks have been getting higher, and if I only got 40 that would mean I would be looking to spend no more than 30 on a truck so I have 5-10 left over for maintenance minus expenses on getting the truck (driving it back, PPI, etc).

ideas, thoughts, suggestions welcomed! Also if there is anything i might have overlooked please bring them to my attention!

Thanks!
-Matt

And I understand that 40K may be a lot for my truck compared to the rest of the market but I'm not selling my truck for market value to buy another truck and then possibly lose money by having to fix someone else's problems (my definition of a used car). I've put a lot of time, effort and money into this truck so I have no problem of asking 40 at a minimum. if no one else is willing to pay the price then I get to keep my truck since I had and have no plans to sell the truck any time soon.

Expendable

Didn't you just get your truck after a long search Matt?

I have been saving up for like 12 years to get one.

If you get an offer of 40K take it.

Thanks!

$1,000,000.

You like your truck, you should keep it!

I really want to keep it, but at 40K I could take some time off work to go after my paramedic certification. I'm pondering different things/scenarios.

Medic_Morgan

Where you looking to go to medic school Matt? My $.02/bias opinion would be Mt SAC... PM me if you wanna talk or need advise.

Sent from my secret lair bwaaahhahahahah

Expendable

Where you looking to go to medic school Matt? My $.02/bias opinion would be Mt SAC... PM me if you wanna talk or need advise.

Sent from my secret lair bwaaahhahahahah

Mt Sac is my preference. They have quite the reputation. is that where you went?

But I have even considered asking my parents if it would be ok to move back in with them for a year or so to help me able to attend a medic school.

and thanks I may drop you a PM down the road!

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
First, I gotta agree with 3HUMMER's on the $40K for your rig, high end would be no more than $45K and that's somebody that absolutely has to have it.
Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to get a replacement for $30K that isn't needing way more than $10K worth of work. That's used cars for you.

I feel for you working your way thru paramedic school, my buddy lived really poor and on the edge until he got his certification. There is light at the end of that extremely dark tunnel though, he took various gigs as an EMT and was finally hired on as a paramedic with a really good fire department. Shortly after working a few years as paramedic, he became an engineer driving the 100' ladder truck (small apartment building) and now only assists the paramedics on calls only when needed. Being an engineer seems to be 'the bomb' for him, those guys are pretty snotty! In the end, it's good pay and a very respectable job; I've gone to the grocery store with him and his crew while they're on duty--man, all the pretty girls and kids love those guys, and they're a bunch of pervs!!

My serious opinion (and I'm not serious often)--live with your parents, keep the 1 and finish medic school. Weird things happen and you may find yourself either:
a.) never replacing the 1 once you sell it
2.) it'll take a LONNGG time to replace it once life finishes getting in the way

Last edited:

LagunaH1

If living with your folks for a while is something you can see yourself doing, then I'd agree with Twinmill that that's a good option. Nothing quite like removing those large, recurring fixed monthly expenses.

At the end of the day, do what's right for you of course. -Hope everything works out well for you :cheers:

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
I gotta agree with Laguna on removing the large recurring fixed expenses; my time at the Men's shelter has been relatively good, though I'm not sure what bed I'll have at the end of any given day, and we sometimes end up fighting, but it sure is nice to be able to keep the deuce!

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think 40K is too high for a 95. The older trucks haven't seen the appreciation that the newer ones have. If someone offers 40K you almost have to take it.