• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H2 Road Armor bumpers install

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
So this is install of ROAD ARMOR bumpers:

I started with this up front:
DSCN1087.jpg

DSCN1088.jpg

Last edited:

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
First of all I removed front bumper completely and remove front winch.
DSCN1090.jpg

Winch on RA bumper is going to be attached to bumper and not mounting plate like BA bumper. Skid plate remains in place. You need to remove lower grill to make your life easier.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
RA bumper is nicely packed in bubble wrap. It's powder coated so make sure you handle it accordingly due to weight. 2 people is a must or engine jack will do just fine.
DSCN1091.jpg

DSCN1092.jpg

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
It's a very nice fitting piece, RA don't make bumpers with side light any more, so if you want one you'll have to modify it yourself. And spray with bedliner or powder coat them again.
DSCN1093.jpg

DSCN1094.jpg

DSCN1095.jpg

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Bumper mounts in stock location with same bolts. MY recommendation IS TO INSTALL CENTERING BOLTS into upper brackets. Otherwise bumper will move forward if someone will be pulling you or you will be using winch and may move bumper forward about 1 inch or so.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
If you get front bumper with front grill, mounting is straight forward just 2 pivoting bolts up front and resting brackets with hold down locks on the side.

You may need to replace cage "resting points" with rubber bumps instead of plastic squares that come with bumper install kit. Also my kit was missing most of mounting hardware so make sure you have it all before you start.
DSCN1096.jpg

DSCN1097.jpg

DSCN1098.jpg

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Moving on:

As you can see from this pictures what is advertized and reality is little different.
1100a2b_atlasii3.jpg

1100a2b_atlasii2.jpg

1100a2b_atlasii1.jpg

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
When I ordered bumpers, I wanted same as pics on there website. They said it going to be so except bumper lights, I will have to order them separately.

When I received bumpers they were not quiet the same.:hthink: When I called company to ask WTF, I was informed that light cut outs were not done since 2004 or so, and this is only option.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Remove old tire carrier and bumper, 4 bolts on tire carrier mounts and 2 support side brackets for bumper itself.
DSCN1086.jpg

DSCN1081.jpg

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Mounting is very simple, same 4 bolt to frame rails. Same recommendation here INSTALL CENTERING BOLTS, so bumper dosn't move up and down.
Also INSTALL SIDE BRACKETS, I modified OEM ones to fit and reduce flex.
DSCN1078.jpg

DSCN1077.jpg

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Tire carrier has its own issues, RA claims that it can support up to 38" wheel.:kissit:Only reality is it can't support itself.
As you can see from this pics swing gate lock bolt drops 1or 2" below hole and you will be lifting tire/carrier combo with your shoulder to insert.
DSCN1083.jpg

DSCN1102.jpg

DSCN1101.jpg

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Tire WILL BLOCK you rear view completely so you'll be relying on back up camera.
Tire carrier issue can only be solved by replacing pivot with one that has bearings in it and not just brass bushings.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
I had to modify my bumper very extensively to install lights, cameras and other stuff. Cage rest point were resigned and front bar was flipped to open light pod.