• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H1 owner stuck at a water crossing

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless the water got deeper or he was high centered on a rock I don't see the problem with the depth. With the water flowing he may have felt it starting to slide downstream.

08H3

Too many unknowns to know what happened. That's part of the reason water can be so dangerous. No way of knowing what's under there.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or what the conditions were when he tried to cross. The video was well after the incident. Moving water is very powerful. Not knowing the bottom condition and given the volume of flowing water in the video that was a risky crossing at best and not advisable. Given that the conditions were likely worse at the time of the incident I would not have tried it. Seeing the video it appears the truck could have backed out, at the time of the video. If water flowed into the intake when he tried to cross he was toast.

Kurt

Yeah, flash floods was always a concern wheeling around San Bernadino county near the mountains from my experience. If we saw a trickle of water and there was rain/snow up in the mountains, keep an eye for that trickle to become a torrent pretty quickly.

Water fording is a tricky beast, by the book you need to be able to know what's under the water, often by getting out and wading across to get an idea of the layout then proceeding across carefully. With a flash flood you got a dynamic situation where you may have the "bed" being eroded away underneath the vehicle [or mud] and you may drop a foot or more instantly while crossing.

I had a wish list item of making sure I have a set of hip waders tossed in the tool box in case someone gets stuck in the muck. :)

I also make it a point if I play in the water, I do a service/fluids swap shortly afterwards. We're riding in many cases 10-20 year old vehicles, theres a chance a seal is going to ingest water at some point.

JPaul

Waders is a great idea if you're going to possibly be doing water crossings, I never thought of that. Having a ski pole with you (or walking stick, or something ling like that) is a good idea as well so that you can probe in front of you.

SuperBuickGuy

but that Lambo had a fording kit... I love the stupid woman in the GMC, by god she's not going to let him go around.... given the guy's driving I figure he got stuck in that lane and figured he was screwed so he then did the classic "don't stop" routine... of course the woman in the CUV wasn't going to let THAT guy get around her.

SuperBuickGuy

Waders is a great idea if you're going to possibly be doing water crossings, I never thought of that. Having a ski pole with you (or walking stick, or something ling like that) is a good idea as well so that you can probe in front of you.

this is why you carry "spotters" - for deep water, multiple spotters are advised since there is a high-loss rate associated with sending them in front of your Hummer.

Panzer07

That was pretty ballsy. Saw that void on video on FB and YouTube...always entertaining how people talk crap about the owners lol...if they have the silver to afford such vehicles I'm sure they have enough to fix them or replace them.
Like the HodgeTwins would say..."do whatever the F you wanna do"

Torres