• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Duramax 6.6L V8 turbo diesel and Alison 1000 ??!!

4speedfunk

12-valve Cummins motors are all the rage around here. I have several friends that run them in Fords, Chevys, and whatever. They are old-school low-tech and that makes them very swap-friendly. Plus there are a zillion places making swap kits and conversion parts for them.
But...they are big & heavy. Too big for an H3 chassis IMO. That's why the 4b makes sense...it's basically the same motor minus two cylinders.
Emissions? What's that? If Indiana ever passes a sniff law, me and all my friends would be forced to ride Schwinns. Not sure I have ever owned a compliant vehicle. Anything goes in Indiana. Only exception is finding an exhaust shop to do custom work....so everybody just does their own.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
12-valve Cummins motors are all the rage around here. I have several friends that run them in Fords, Chevys, and whatever. They are old-school low-tech and that makes them very swap-friendly. Plus there are a zillion places making swap kits and conversion parts for them.
But...they are big & heavy. Too big for an H3 chassis IMO.

They're definitely too long to fit in an H3 engine bay, unless you don't mind the back half of the engine in the passenger compartment :)

abearden

If you're going to go through the effort of a swap, the 6.5TD is not the motor I'd swap to. Old tech, known serious weaknesses, and lacking power (for the weight).

The 6.5 TD was used until at least 2004 in the H1.
Been a while since I looked, but think California requires vehicle production year or later engines for swaps.