• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Considering a new daily driver - what to get?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
So I sold my Silverado because the used truck market is crazy. They offered me too much money and I was happy to accept it. I'm daily driving the H3 right now but I keep considering getting a cheap used car to keep miles off of the H3 and to get better MPG. It's not a strong need to get another vehicle but if I found something that hit the right buttons I'd consider it.

Only looking to spend $3500-$5500.

I'm all over the board with this - the vehicle just needs to be outstanding in one way or another. For example, a well preserved Honda Accord might do the job. As would a Buick from some retiree that only put on 5,000 miles per year since 2000. A funky 1970s Toyota would work, as long as it has a/c. A decent Crown Vic ex cop car. An old Cadillac that someone wants to sacrifice a few $ to someone that likes Caddys (Okay, it wouldn't hit the MPG mark but it would be cool to have). A 1980s Nissan or Toyota pickup. Something easy enough to repair so that I can keep Reloader employed but not have to pay Porsche/BMW tax on parts.

What do you think I should look at? Specific listings are helpful, but so are general ideas.

08H3

It's going to be at the high end of your budget, but I'd put in a vote for a C4 Corvette. Specifically a 91 if you can find it. Had the updated look of the 92-96 but was the last year for the L98 so no one really wants them. It's not the norm, but decent ones do come up for sale in the $5,000 range(Indiana-- don't know what your Arizona market commands) if you're patient. The one we had was a great car. Never had any significant issues and got around 30mpg.

Last edited:

cbetts

NERD!!!
Now that gas in California is about $4.40 and people are returning to work, you can probably pick up something with a V8 pretty cheap in the Los Angeles area.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually if you could find a decent older used Corvette that would not be a bad choice. You would likely get your money back out of it when you sold.

speedy

Sir Welds a Lot
Were selling the H3t sometime next month.
I'm flying to Vegas in the morning to pick up a Toyota Matrix that we bought from Bebes's oldest daughter. Not as exciting as a corvette but will be a great daily/commuter car for me and will get twice the fuel mileage as the T or H2.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Were selling the H3t sometime next month.
I'm flying to Vegas in the morning to pick up a Toyota Matrix that we bought from Bebes's oldest daughter. Not as exciting as a corvette but will be a great daily/commuter car for me and will get twice the fuel mileage as the T or H2.
A Matrix crossed my mind, but the only one I found in Phoenix had been in 5, yes five, accidents. The only question with the Matrix is if you have to take the blue pill each time to re-enter it.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Uber will get you where you need to be. How many Uber rides could you pay for within your spend zone while supplementing your other driving needs with your Ducati and/or H3. Another option would be an ebike. It would also get the job done.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
A Matrix crossed my mind, but the only one I found in Phoenix had been in 5, yes five, accidents. The only question with the Matrix is if you have to take the blue pill each time to re-enter it.
What's a blue pill and what's it for?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

cbetts

NERD!!!

Oh, good choice! Some of the earlier XRS models had the 2ZZ motor, the same engine Lotus used in the Elise! I had a 2004 Pontiac Vibe GT (same as the Matrix XRS) before I bought my Hummer. It was a blast to drive and quite practical around town.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Yeah, I did. Decided to be a gig worker for a while and found a 2010 Camry Hybrid with only 97,000 miles on it. Once I get back to a "real" job this car may go away.