• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

"Chirping" sound

Chimpy

2006 H3 Base w/AT. I have a chirping sound I can't diagnose. It happens at 35-40 mph with steady throttle and also at low idle speed 5-10 mph. It only does it in drive, not reverse and not in park. I first thought it was a pulley or the belt but when idling in park, no noise, also no noise when rpm raised and lowered while in park.
As I come to a stop whether brakes are applied or not, the chirping has a rotational sound that stops when the Hummer stops. I have turned the steering wheel back and forth while this sound is being made but that does not affect the rhythm of the chirping. Going over bumps does not affect this sound either. Any suggestions?

jphh20

2006 H3 Base w/AT. I have a chirping sound I can't diagnose. It happens at 35-40 mph with steady throttle and also at low idle speed 5-10 mph. It only does it in drive, not reverse and not in park. I first thought it was a pulley or the belt but when idling in park, no noise, also no noise when rpm raised and lowered while in park.
As I come to a stop whether brakes are applied or not, the chirping has a rotational sound that stops when the Hummer stops. I have turned the steering wheel back and forth while this sound is being made but that does not affect the rhythm of the chirping. Going over bumps does not affect this sound either. Any suggestions?

How many miles do you have on your rig? It sounds like a u-joint which can typically make the symptoms that you provide. Front or rear drive shaft could be a first place to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4speedfunk

"Chirping" sound

Check your motor mounts. Anytime you get noise in gear but not in neutral, it’s often tied to motor movement. They can get so bad the fan contacts the fan shroud making a scraping sound.

Last edited:

Chimpy

It may be coming from the rear. I drove up my street last night holding the driver door open to try to get a better idea of where the chirping was coming from and it sounds like it is coming from the rear,possibly the left rear. So now I am thinking rear U-joints or wheel bearing. I know that the rear bearings are sealed “lifetime” bearings but define lifetime.

4speedfunk

"Chirping" sound

No...the rear wheel bearings are not sealed. They are traditional roller style bearings, bathed in axle lube. Check the backing plates...sometimes they get bent and rub on the rotors.