• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2007 H3 Rear Wheel Drive Only?

markmc00

Probationary Member
What would happen if you disassembled the cv axles at the joints and then just stuck the splined ends back into the diff and steering knuckle? Would this effectively convert it to 2wd? This vehicle is never used offroad. Maybe it would increase gas milage?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Acer4LO

Technically it would work, but it wouldn't really be practical for saving MPG and it would not work in the way you would think. In regular 4WD mode (That being 4WD unlocked) the H3 would literally not move at all. This is because the transfer case is unlocked and it is going to send power to the driveshaft that has the least resistance. In this case it would be the front. Since the front drivetrain isn't connected to the wheels, it is going to send all power to there and none to the rear. The H3 would however drive just fine if you put it in 4HI locked. This mode will lock the transfer case and split the power 50/50. So the front drive shaft would still be spinning, but it wouldn't actually be delivering power to the tires. So this is a way you could drive the H3 in 2wd. A lot of offroad guys who break their CVs or Driveshafts actually do this to be able to get off the trail and back home. That being said, there is no real way to send 100% of the power to the rear driveshaft without doing a transfercase swap.

markmc00

Probationary Member
Technically it would work, but it wouldn't really be practical for saving MPG and it would not work in the way you would think. In regular 4WD mode (That being 4WD unlocked) the H3 would literally not move at all. This is because the transfer case is unlocked and it is going to send power to the driveshaft that has the least resistance. In this case it would be the front. Since the front drivetrain isn't connected to the wheels, it is going to send all power to there and none to the rear. The H3 would however drive just fine if you put it in 4HI locked. This mode will lock the transfer case and split the power 50/50. So the front drive shaft would still be spinning, but it wouldn't actually be delivering power to the tires. So this is a way you could drive the H3 in 2wd. A lot of offroad guys who break their CVs or Driveshafts actually do this to be able to get off the trail and back home. That being said, there is no real way to send 100% of the power to the rear driveshaft without doing a transfercase swap.
Thanks for your informative reply. Looks like I will be replacing the cv axles. :)

Mark

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
4Hi locked, front CVs removed, front propshaft removed, front diff removed you might see a minor improvement in MPG. That would remove that friction from the drivetrain and lift some weight. That said, I doubt that it's worth the effort. Plus, I had to do that for a while and I didn't see a difference in MPG (but didn't track it closely either), though the front end did feel lighter.

Jeepwalker

What kind of fuel economy are you getting now is the question I would ask? Maybe there's something amiss that can be improved to help your economy (tune-up, repairs, etc). Mine averaged out (hand-calculated over 2 months), I-5/Auto trans, ..same pump fill-up comes out to 17.2 mpg. That's "Average" because average between tankfulls is what really counts. A lot of guys throw out the best mpg they ever got downhill on a windy day. But Average the way you drive, is what matters, and mine is a mix of probably 70% hwy, the rest town and local driving. 17.2 I think is pretty good given the H3's weight & friction. It's mostly flat land driving around here and I don't drive like a maniac (most of the time..ha ha). What's your Average MPG per tankful and how do you drive?

The H3 is about 5,000 lbs with fuel and you riding inside. It's shaped like a sharp-edged bread box rolling down the road on big tires. If your rig is well-tuned there isn't a whole lot you're going to do to "magically" gain fuel economy, other than possibly tires. Get rid of off-road tires if you have them. For reference, my full-sized pickup/s, H3 and a Jeep Grand Cherokee...they all get the same basic fuel economy (averaged out by hand over a couple months). We had at one time two Jeep Grand Cherokee's one with a V8 the other with the 4.0L I-6. The I-6 GC achieved .5 mpg more. My neighbor had the same vehicle with a V8 and his got the same as ours. It isn't uncommon. The vehicles are the same mass. And get this: My older late 80's GM truck and much newer Dodge truck which seems 25% larger, both tk's get the same fuel economy! Both in the 16.5 mpg range (averaged out) range. I have a VW TDI that averages 40mpg virtually every tankful (the way/places I drive). My brother's TDI (manual trans) gets 43mpg. I've rented hybrid cars which got over 50mpg. If you watch Youtube videos you'll see where guys with new Broncos with the off-road pkg ...the larger tires are getting 10-12-13mpg average. Jeep Rubicons don't get very good MPG either. Smaller engines, narrower cabin. But it all comes down to weight/friction/efficiency. None of which you can do a whole lot about except lowering tire friction and making sure it's running top shape. If yours has larger 33"-35" 10-ply or knobby (or big lug) tires, get something smaller & more streetable. That might get you 1-2mpg. There's a guy on the Ram forum who said every mod he made to his pickup cost him at least 1mpg, sometimes 2mpg..till he was down to about 10mpg! LOL

Consider getting a VW TDI or newer (smaller) gasoline car, or EV, and drive the H3 for fun times.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

What I meant to say above is all my trucks and SUV's I've had, essentially get the same basic *average* fuel economy, plus or minus a little, regardless of which engine they have. Same with Bronco's and Rubicons. In the old days I had a few Toyota 4x4 pickups and they got 19mpg and were 'dogs' whereas my full size GM got 16.5. Lot larger truck with a 2.5mpg penalty. Smaller engines work harder, larger engines work less. Below you can see the H3 rated fuel economy. If that's not in your wheelhouse, getting a smaller (lighter) vehicle that gets better mileage probably makes good sense. Plus H3 insurance is generally pretty high for a 10+ y/o vehicle. You might save there too.

H3Hummer

What would happen if you disassembled the cv axles at the joints and then just stuck the splined ends back into the diff and steering knuckle? Would this effectively convert it to 2wd? This vehicle is never used offroad. Maybe it would increase gas milage?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Dude, buy another car or 4x4 with 2WD, 4H and 4L selection shift.