• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H2 My custom H2 winch mount

Scarsman

Sponsor
I am finally putting my H2 winch mount build up here on our new site. So here it is.

My goal was to mount my winch with as little impact on approach angle as possible. I think it met that goal well. I started by removing the front bumper and assessing what I had to work with.

I removed the stock front receiver, which bolts to a mounting pad on the front cross member. I then fabricated a mounting plate out of 1/4" steel that would bolt right on in place of the receiver. Then I took the big plunge, and cut out the front bumper for it. :eek:

Here is the bottom of the rough-fabbed mounting plate. Yes, I know it is ugly! I used scrap metal I have laying around. It will eventually get blasted and powder coated. The tab that is bent up later got gusset plates welded alongside it that extend forward to strengthen the plate. I failed to get pictures of that though:

May11EvansCreek003.jpg

The other side with the hawse mounting tabs on it:

May11EvansCreek004.jpg

Here is the front cross member without the stock receiver on it and the cut bumper:

May11EvansCreek002.jpg

More cut bumper:

May11EvansCreek001.jpg

I mounted it and used it on a trip to Evans Creek. Then when I got home I pulled it all out and checked everything. It made a really hard pull on a stuck Super Duty, but I found no signs of problems. Nothing cracked, stretched, or shifted at all. So, here it is with all the mounting holes and a coat of paint:

IMG_0001-1.jpg

In the picture above you will see two holes on the right and left ends of the plate. I made these two brackets which bolt to the bottom of the winch plate, and are bolted to the truck frame using the two bolts for the front tow hooks. They probably are not really needed, but I figured they would tie the whole thing to the frame in three points now and give it more rigidity for side angled pulls. I failed to get pics of it installed with the brackets.

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0003-1.jpg

And the whole thing installed:

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

I still need to weld plates into the bumper at each end of the cut-out so you can't see the frame rails. I may also eventually build a metal cover for it too. Not sure on that yet.

Last edited:

H3slate

Brush raked
This mount and winch have been invaluable on the trail. They have gotten myself and Scarsman out of some tight situations. Also helped pull out a Jeep and a Ford Super duty. :giggle:

citiboy

Sorry to bring an old thread....i'm all over the forum today...:) this is the exact same route i will doin' with my winch...gotta gain back the approach angle and removing/re-installing just to open the hood.

seventwozero

Sorry to bring an old thread....i'm all over the forum today...:) this is the exact same route i will doin' with my winch...gotta gain back the approach angle and removing/re-installing just to open the hood.

Better make a build thread on that! I'm sure I'm not the only one that read your post, looked at your profile picture and said "Your going to stuff a Powerplant in there?!" :corn: