• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Official 5.3L V8 Swap

derian06

Red Rockett
So as you all know i'll be starting my engine swap soon after hitting a hole that was too deep and hydro locking the motor. First thing I need to start learning EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. About the 5.3L V8 engine and what I need to do make it work in my 2007 3.7L Hummer H3. So if anyone can help it will be greatly appretiated. The biggest things I need to know right now is, what needs to be changed to the transmission, and where to get a new PCM, ECM, ?TCM?, and BCM. Also if I should use and alpha's PCM or a I5's.

Thank You All!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ffmf2101

Well I'm sorry that I'm not a lot of help on this matter, but man am I excited for you!!! Will be watching! :corn:

SuperBuickGuy

talk to 150tunes.com - the guy who owns it knows a guy who's a GM tech who specializes in Hummers. Tell him what you're up to and I'm certain he can come up with a harness that will fit your needs. the guy did the harness for my Fiat Spider http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum/bangshift/project-cars-update/29121-cts-spider the comments about the wiring harness are at the end.... this guy does really good work

he'd also be the source to talk to about how to make it work...

derian06

Red Rockett
talk to 150tunes.com - the guy who owns it knows a guy who's a GM tech who specializes in Hummers. Tell him what you're up to and I'm certain he can come up with a harness that will fit your needs. the guy did the harness for my Fiat Spider http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum/bangshift/project-cars-update/29121-cts-spider the comments about the wiring harness are at the end.... this guy does really good work

he'd also be the source to talk to about how to make it work...

Whats his name on the forum?

derian06

Red Rockett
I called 150tunes, but its past their hours. I'll call him monday morning and see what he can do for me!

Last edited:

Hayden

Toyo M/T
^ also look for totaled 3's on ebay, you can message the seller and buy parts. Thats how i bought my 3rd brake light when it went out

derian06

Red Rockett
Yep haha, its that hump you see at the top when your lookig at the back winshield through the rearview. Covered by the panel

I knew it haha! But when it didn't come on I assumed it was nothing. I guess mine is out too.

Hayden

Toyo M/T
I knew it haha! But when it didn't come on I assumed it was nothing. I guess mine is out too.

Its hard to tell if it is or not, if/when you replace make sure not to break the clips on the panel like i did haha

derian06

Red Rockett
I got some bad news for everyone, the V8 swap is going to be wayyy more expensive then we thought. Apparently we would even have to change things like powersteering? Doesn't make much sense but it would be way over $14,000 which I definitely can't afford. So another 3.7L is going in.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would be the easiest/quickest way to get your truck running again. So did you cut the guy lose on getting the new 3.7?

derian06

Red Rockett
I just got done talking to my mechanic and he has a link on a wrecked alpha. he is planing on scrapping the body and salvaging the suspension, drive train, and anything else useable on it. the quote he gave me was for a new crate engine straight from the factory so there is still hope. There was little to no water inside the transmission, t-case, or the differentials so everything is looking good.