• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

ReconH3 Build Thread v2.0

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Back in my home away from home. Should be put for some time........ I hope. Will continue the build in the next couple of days.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Expedition Hardware had a sale on Rigid Industries LED lights, so I jumped on the occasion. I wanted to get some additional back-up lights because the ones I have are pretty poor. The Duallys were the perfect setup. The only difference is that I was going to run them directly off the trailer hitch plug to avoid having to do a ton of wiring. I'm lazy like that. ;)

IMG_0435.jpg

Installed them on my ARB bumper, right under the spare tire.

IMG_0434.jpg

Bought a spare trailer plug and wired the lights into the back-up pin.

IMG_0438.jpg

This is what my normal back-up lights would illuminate.

IMG_0437.jpg

This is what the Rigid Industries LED Duallys illuminate. What a difference!!!!

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Before returning to the US this last time, I had Raingler make some safety nets for the interior of the truck. I'm big on safety and keeping everything contained in case of a roll or accident. This would not have been possible without the help of the forums and it's members. Since I didn't have my H3 with me I couldn't take measurements. So I asked for help, and H3slate came through like a champ. Thanks guys!!!

nets01.jpg

These are right behind the driver and passenger.

nets02.jpg

The trunk space. Notice the two fire extinguishers on the roll cage. Can't get enough.

nets03.jpg

Two PullPal recovery gear military bags held down with one of the floor nets.

Last edited:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
The factory antenna is 37" long. Every time I park in my garage, or go into a parking structure, I go smacking the antenna everywhere. This is something that drives me up the wall. Most people just get a stubby antenna, but I actually like having the antenna as a warning for low clearances so I don't go breaking anything. I found in Pep Boys a 31" antenna that looks identical.

4ea5cdd4.jpg

50434829.jpg

It comes with a bunch of adapters, but none work for the H3. The thread on the H3 antenna is M7-1.00. The thread in the new antenna is M6-1.00. What I did is go to Lowes and get a M7-1.00 x 25mm bolt. I then got an M6-1.00 threading die.

06229dc6.jpg

I left the bolt head uncut till the last step so I had something to hold onto when threading it. I grabbed the bolt in a 11mm wrench, and with the M6 die I started threading it. I made about 1/3 of the thread into 6mm thread.

c2c258e7.jpg

Here's a comparison of the before and after. The head of the bolt has already been cut off, but I would suggest not doing it until you have installed it on the new antenna. That way you can tighten it down. I added some loctite on the 6mm thread so it stays put in the antenna. You can then cut the bolt head off.

4a50157e.jpg

Here a comparison. Top OEM. Middle new antenna with modified 6/7mm thread. 7mm bolt.

ffd14bb2.jpg

Before with 37" OEM antenna. You can see how it hits the garage door.

c3a5399c.jpg

After with 31" antenna. You can see it clears the garage door, but is still tall enough to still serve as a warning if the clearance is too low. I had been wanting to do this mod pretty much since I got my truck, but since I couldn't find the right replacement antennae it never happened. Now it's done and one of my favorite mods. :d The reception is just as good as with the OEM one.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
This mod is purely aesthetic. I did it because I was tired of people asking me what model Jeep I was driving. I got the idea from you guys. Originally I was going to sand and paint the factory H3 emblems. I actually did it, but have left them on the shelf for if one day I need them. Paladine posted a link to this company that make H3 stickers, so I picked and chose different styles for different parts of the H3.

d2578c5a.jpg

First one I put in the hubs of the Dana 60s. :)

97e78fbf.jpg

This was supposed to be an exterior sticker but I thought it was too flashy, so it found it's home in the interior of my tailgate.

dadf6756.jpg

The H3 Tactical Edition emblem had way too much chrome so I only put it in the rear. It was supposed to also go on the sides where the OEM emblems where. Instead I put subdued desert US flags from military graphics. There is also one more top center of the windshield. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of those, except for the one in this pic.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
My truck is far from finished. Just like everyone elses. :) What are the important things left?

Hydraulic Bump stops. I have no bump stops whatsoever. I will be getting ECGS to install some Fox ones.

Ram assist skid plate. ECGS will also be fabricating a custom one.

Body protection. ECGS will also be doing some external tubing to protect certain body parts. Not really exo-cage. Something more along the lines what the Aussies do on their rigs. Trying to keep weight to a minimum.

Exhaust Wrap. R&J Custom Exhaust is going to do an exhaust wrap. It helps a lot with heat issues in the Alpha. Not doing it for performance reasons.

Power sterring pump. R&J will also be swapping out a PSC pump. I want them to do it just in case it doesn't hold up. I had originally installed it but it blew after 5 minutes of use. Had it rebuilt, and we'll see if this time it lasts longer. If not I'll do one of my rebuilds like I used to do to my TJ ones that have lasted forever after that.

EVAP relocate. I'm thinking of relocating it somewhere it's not going to get full of off-road debris. Also contemplating just putting it into a sealed tupperware, which in turn will have it's own breather/snorkel. The intake on the EVAP is too big to just add a breather to that. Will take some looking into and coming up with a solution.

Dual Battery setup. The Artec one is far from ideal. I need to find a better solution. I really haven't had the time to look for battery alternatives that aren't Optimas.

Atlas. That's way down the road but something I would eventually like to do. Won't be any time soon though. The fact that Bebe is already in the process, will definitely make life easier. Thanks Bebe.

All these mods are things that I would like to do, but who knows when I'll get to doing them. Hopefully soon.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Hey I saw one of ORE's JK's the other day. That sucker is wide! The trackwidth is 88" and a stock JK is at around 69. What trackwidth are you at now?

2011-09-25_12-08-32_901.jpg

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Hey I saw one of ORE's JK's the other day. That sucker is wide! The trackwidth is 88" and a stock JK is at around 69. What trackwidth are you at now?

2011-09-25_12-08-32_901.jpg

No clue. I've never thought of measuring it. Unfortunately I won't be able to do it till after new years. :( What I do know is that the tires are flush with the fender flare extensions. If somebody can measure it, you would have your answer.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Expendable

wow, I've seen some finished pics, and a couple build pics but reading this build thread was awesome! I had to stay up long enough to finish. even though I have to be at work for my 24 hour shift in 6 hours, it was worth reading! that is a fine Hummer! and thank you for your support of the Wounded Warrior Project!

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Thanks Ex. It took forever to get this far, and it's still needs work to be nearly done. Build are never really done anyways. :wink:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Well for now you can always just update your Jeep Project, unless you dont plan to build it like the 3:huh:

The JK will never get the time and attention the H3 did. First because I don't have the free time, the tools, or the work facilities to do it. Everything gets done with basic tools on the ground where I'm at. The closest mechanic that I trust and has the know how to get to the next level (lift, r & p) is located in Madrid, Spain. I would have to drive a few days to get there and spend a few getting things done. Won't be happening anytime soon. Don't have the spare time. What's more, this is my work vehicle and has to stay under 1.9 meters to be able to use it in certain transports. With the H3 I had a huge amount of support and help that I will never get with the JK. H3 was a once in a lifetime opportunity that presented itself at the right time and place.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited: