• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

SoCal Event - Bishop - August - PrePlan/Poll

cbetts

NERD!!!
Okay gang, I am getting plans together for the annual Bishop run. I want to get some input from the participants on both date and type of wheeling. So far, We are planning on on Wheeler Ridge and one other easy run. For those that crave a little more adventure, Zach and I are shooting for Wheeler Ridge at night! I will be heading up to Bishop in July to do some scouting for new trails. The list of choices will include Casa Diablo and Coyote. The final choice will be determined by the input I get back from the community. Chris Kliks, my friend that lives there, has volunteered to assist me with the prerun but I am looking for a couple more to join, preferably with some wheeling experience. I am planning on making this a three day event (Friday through Sunday).

Please reply to the post with the weekend and level of wheeling you would like. This is a great chance for less experienced to tag along and not feel intimidated. If you want to volunteer for the prerun, please let me know what weekend(s) you would be available. I will be keeping tally in this post.

Now, go pull out your organizers and pencil in this trip!

DATES

1 - [strike]August 2-4[/strike]
3 - August 9-11
0 - [strike]August 16-18[/strike]
0 - [strike]August 23-25[/strike]
0 - [strike]August 30-September 1[/strike]

WHEELING TYPE
0 - Beginner (firetrails)
2 - Intermediate (Some steep hills, no lockers/UCP needed)
0 - Advanced (Technical, rocks, may need lockers and/or UCP)

NOTE- Wheeling type is NOT a vote. I will focus on at least one day of trails at the desired level.

UPDATE (3/26/2013) - Date is locked in . . . for August 9-11.

Last edited:

elripster

Subscribing. I can never plan stuff this far in advanced but if we can swing it we will. I'd say I'd be up for the technical trails. If everyone coalesces around the easy stuff no sweat, just means my stock Tahoe 4X4 can make it in the event my fj60 is not running (which is rather often these days... yeah I know shoulda kept the H3).

Frank

Expendable

I have no plans for August and no preference at the moment for a certain weekend. as for Trail combination of all types would work nicely if not beginner and intermediate.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Subscribing. I can never plan stuff this far in advanced but if we can swing it we will. I'd say I'd be up for the technical trails. If everyone coalesces around the easy stuff no sweat, just means my stock Tahoe 4X4 can make it in the event my fj60 is not running (which is rather often these days... yeah I know shoulda kept the H3).

Frank

Wheeler Ridge will most likely be the hardest trail we tackle unless I find something up Coyote. I will keep you informed.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Nacho

Now with Chese
To early to know what dates are best. A wheeler Ridge night run sounds great.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
9-11 is good for me. I will probably only be able to do Saturday and Sunday. I can come up Friday mid day. I am good for any level type. I like the easy fire roads if they are scenic, intermediate is good and if anyone is up for the tougher trails I am always down for that too...

I may try to have my family tag along on this run. Scenic trails like wheeler ridge will appeal to them and they need to see what the bug is all about!

I plan on running coyote in late June. My girlfriends dad has fished and camped up there for years and has tackled many trails with his buddy and they have had the itch for coyote but want me to tag along in the 3 in case they run into issues. I can let you know how that trail is.

cbetts

NERD!!!
I plan on running coyote in late June. My girlfriends dad has fished and camped up there for years and has tackled many trails with his buddy and they have had the itch for coyote but want me to tag along in the 3 in case they run into issues. I can let you know how that trail is.

Awesome! I am assuming you are taking the trail from Bishop on up. Last year, the south route from Big Pine was only accessible by serious rock crawlers. For the most part, it is an easy trail. Very scenic though. I will be looking for a trail report from you later to help with my decision.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I will be giving you a call or shoot you a PM within the next few days craig. I dont know that area well and the trail they were talking about was coyote flats? Not sure how tough it is. They are more explorers and go hunting and fishing all over so cal and their type of offroading is more for fishing/hunting destinations via fire roads and small rocky trails. They have an 09 chevy truck that has a 6in lift and 35s. It may not be the trail your talking about seeing its for serious rock crawlers. Either way the plan is to be up in bishop for 4-5 days and my brother and I can check out the trail your talking about if we have time.

Fish

I vote for earlier in august the better. Due to californias state park ridiculous campground reservation system it seems I always end up with late august for my summer beach camping trip. And I'm good for some intermediate trails, preferably some that can actually fit Hummers ( aachemmm pin stripe alley :no:)

It's been a long time since I made it out with you all and I really need to get out for some real wheelin. Been busy with work and some other projects :thumbs: so its time..

I ran into John last weekend with his awesome new Jeep and he and his Jeep got me motivated to get out again. So if I can make it which I will try and do I vote for the first august date, I could do the next date but after that will be a no go for me.

Zach

Mall Crawler
I vote for earlier in august the better. Due to californias state park ridiculous campground reservation system it seems I always end up with late august for my summer beach camping trip. And I'm good for some intermediate trails, preferably some that can actually fit Hummers ( aachemmm pin stripe alley :no:)

It's been a long time since I made it out with you all and I really need to get out for some real wheelin. Been busy with work and some other projects :thumbs: so its time..

I ran into John last weekend with his awesome new Jeep and he and his Jeep got me motivated to get out again. So if I can make it which I will try and do I vote for the first august date, I could do the next date but after that will be a no go for me.

Come on Matt pinstripe alley is fun. Besides, I usually clear most of the brush for the 2's and maybe a night run followed up by Rusty's. doesn't get much better than that lol

Oh and John's jeep rocks. Wheeled with home a few weeks ago. I was more than impressed

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Craig I spoke with my girlfriends dad yesterday, we would go from the bishop side. They wouldn't be able to go from big pine in a Chevy truck. He said that side is tough so I have searched and searched for pics and a trail report and haven't found anything. Maybe you might have some luck. I'm interested, always up for a good challenge

cbetts

NERD!!!
I need to see how things go. I might be interested in running it with you. I want to check out Wheeler as well. Might have to do some trail maintenance where that tree is toppling over. I will chat with you later on this.

cbetts

NERD!!!
I had to put in for my vacation time so the August 9-11 weekend is locked in. I am still looking for volunteers to go with me on a pre-run. I can be flexible on the dates.

cbetts

NERD!!!
I need to get some plans together for the prerun soon. Looking at either pairing up with 06H3 in June or Trying my luck in July with my friend Chris. I would really like some company so we could add some trails to this annual run.

owlxxx

What trails are you interested in pre-running? I will be there MAY 8-12 camping at browns milpond. Let me know I could probably get trail conditions, etc, etc.

LagunaH1

I need to get some plans together for the prerun soon. Looking at either pairing up with 06H3 in June or Trying my luck in July with my friend Chris. I would really like some company so we could add some trails to this annual run.

got any dates in mind for pre running?

cbetts

NERD!!!
If the dates work for me I would shoot for the pre run.
I will keep you up to speed. Thanks!

trails that are wide enough for a Hummer :giggle::wink:
I know you are allergic to brush rub. Maybe you could follow an H1 or Serge.

got any dates in mind for pre running?
I would like to keep it closer to the middle of Summer to insure all the snow run-off is done. Zach and I got stopped on Wheeler Ridge by an avalanche blocking the road in July so we know things could be a little rough.

As far as trails, I am looking at Coyote and Casa Diablo. These are easy but scenic trails. There are also some beautiful offshoots on Casa Diablo that I think the group would just love but I haven't been in there since the seventies. I also want to do a prerun up Wheeler Ridge. There is a tree that has been falling over slowly over the years that may need to be removed for the taller trucks (Serge hit it last year).