• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

PSA alpha/h3t owners

530alpha

I’ve had tons of issues with my h3t alpha lately and just wanted to post some stuff I found to prevent some future headaches for some of you.
1. On the h3t I busted a hard brake line that passed under the cab and bed, that had been rubbing on the sheet metal of the back of the cab, luckily I didn’t find out while on the road.
FF5819A0-8FD6-463B-A977-DF697F8E6DD9.jpeg
2. My 4l60e failed (a couple months after) lost all gears due to a clogged filter, wasn’t getting any pressure so it damaged the trans. It would work when it was cold for a bit then I’d just loose all power in the trans as if it were in neutral, swapped the filter and it gave me another month until I lost the 3/4 clutch pack. (130k miles)
3. Had an on going issue My temp sensor would stop reading the temperature and the truck rpm’s would go up and it would act all weird. Swapped the sensor and haven’t had it happen since but it was an issue that would happen at random, although I found a yellow wire that I believe goes to that sensor that had a hole rubbed in it because the harness was rubbing on a bolt on top of the valve cover so it must’ve been shorting and causing issues on occasion.
0F060084-3A5A-43C7-89C9-3E807C42275E.jpeg
4. I’m having an on going issue I haven’t figured out, where my transmission fuse keeps blowing and I get stuck in limp mode (3rd gear) swapped the 1-2, 2-3 solenoids and the whole wire harness in the pan, tested the ohms on the Tcc Pwm and still have the issue. I’ll update once I figure it out
5. Keep an eye on the wire loom in the engine bay, it deteriorates with the heat, most of it disintegrated in my hands so here’s a couple places to keep an eye on because the harness will rub. (Arrow behind alternator is where I found that busted yellow wire)B75AC8A4-5C73-432C-9B5F-A6B03CE3D7B3.jpeg
Also I had an o2 sensor wire directly on the passenger side cat so keep an eye on those. The loom on the inside was melted but the wires were intact (added new heat tape).

(here’s my headache)
C8B22309-411D-4017-BA0A-F217E0019938.jpeg
Anyway I’d you guys have suggestions as to areas to keep an eye on feel free to let me know

JPaul

I'm having intermittent issues with my coolant sensor as well. I already put a new sensor in when I rebuilt the engine so an intermittent short to ground seems more likely. Already dealt with the harness that goes behind the engine to the oil pressure sensor rubbing through to the clip that is supposed to hold the harness in place where that left most arrow points. I'll have to check that other side now that you have pointed it out.

530alpha

Most likely that spot behind the alternator, i believe it’s that yellow wire, I found it rubbing on the valve cover as in the picture.

JPaul

I took a quick look the other day but it didn't look like my harness is even close to the valve cover (course I did an engine rebuild so it may not be exactly routed the same anymore) but I think you're on to something at least for my problem. It was dark and raining so I'll look again in the daylight some time.