• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Finally an H3 owner

Linnellh

Probationary Member
Hey all, just picked up a one owner 06 H3 with luxury/adventure package with 172k miles. It needs a little tlc but not too much. What servicing do you recommend with a vehicle with high miles right off the bat?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Welcome to H4O!

Start with fluids, lots of them! Oil, transfer case, noting that some 06 models have a different fill procedure (Dexron VI), both diffs (synthetic 75W-90), transmission with at least a drain and fill with new filter and gasket (Dexron VI), brake fluid (DOT3), coolant flush (Dexcool). Plugs are 100K miles and it's probably 50/50 whether they were ever done.

Check for play at the transmission crossmember - is the bushing worn out? After that, upper and lower control arm bushings and ball joints. Serpentine belt, idler, tensioner (great kit available on rockauto.com).

Put in in 4Low range and test that it engages. Then test the rear locker, even if turning on pavement (but better on dirt!) for a moment to see if the rear axle binds/locks.

Linnellh

Probationary Member
Thanks for all the advice. Got the front and rear diffs fluids changed, new radiator installed because the old one was cracked and leaking, and installed new plugs. Ordered transfer case fluid from the dealer so waiting on that.

The selector shows that all 4wd options engage, how would I tell if the rear axle binds? What do I look for?

Im getting a code for the upper O2 sensor and I can’t for the life of me get it loose. Any suggestions on that?

Linnellh

Probationary Member
Thanks for all the advice. Got the front and rear diffs fluids changed, new radiator installed because the old one was cracked and leaking, and installed new plugs. Ordered transfer case fluid from the dealer so waiting on that.

The selector shows that all 4wd options engage, how would I tell if the rear axle binds? What do I look for?

Im getting a code for the upper O2 sensor and I can’t for the life of me get it loose. Any suggestions on that?

rascole

for the O2 sensor, try removing it when it is hot, metal relaxes when it is hot and should free up the threads, if not, soak it for a couple of days with PB Blaster, spray it often.
You will know if it is stuck in 4 High because it will be more difficult to turn at slow speeds and you feel it it wanting to drive straight. Then the plastic shift fork is worn, common failure but the metal fork is a great fix.