• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

DOI Or Schwarttzy Hidden Winch Mount Questions

DFW Spartan

I have a DOI hidden winch mount. It was designed to work with the Warn M8000. I don't believe DOI still in business. They randomly come up for sale on the forums, or Craigslist. Predator makes an almost identical hidden winch mount that comes with the winch included. But it's around $2k.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bowser-II

I have the schwarttzy and am generally pleased with it.

It can take a bit of finagling to get everything snug, avoid rubbing on the cable or rope, makes an extremely tight fit if you have an external tranny cooler, and the clutch handle might be difficult to actuate depending on which winch you use.

Some nice advantages is the discrete look, most of the rope is out of direct sunlight, it keeps the entry point very close to the center of the rails, and is pretty sturdy.

Someone mentioned once, can’t remember where, that it can induce twisting in the frame rails and possibly impact air bag and crash safety performance of the frame.

Not sure how that would be evaluated but I guess many of the aftermarket mounts could have the same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alpha Tango

Making one myself seemed to make the most sense. It's nice that you can still buy them from Schwartzy, but if you can't make your own stuff there aren't that many optiosn for us IMG_20210415_174338.jpg

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I have the schwarttzy and am generally pleased with it.

It can take a bit of finagling to get everything snug, avoid rubbing on the cable or rope, makes an extremely tight fit if you have an external tranny cooler, and the clutch handle might be difficult to actuate depending on which winch you use.

Some nice advantages is the discrete look, most of the rope is out of direct sunlight, it keeps the entry point very close to the center of the rails, and is pretty sturdy.

Someone mentioned once, can’t remember where, that it can induce twisting in the frame rails and possibly impact air bag and crash safety performance of the frame.

Not sure how that would be evaluated but I guess many of the aftermarket mounts could have the same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For a short time there were aftermarket pieces to reinforce the frame horns for winches. But with any wincing, you should try and pull straight vs at an angle to better distribute the load.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk