Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Low Profile
    Thanks

Cool Gpcalero's "The Duke" H3T Alpha Build

BACK IN THE GAME BABY.

Long time lurker on the site but when I was active I used a different forum :Shhh:. Seems like this forum has more activity and more information that has helped me out lately, so I'm going to post my build primarily here. Been quite a few years since I was last in the H3 game. I sold my old H3 from college and got in to racing... and now I'm back again with an H3T Alpha, and I love it.

Old Build >> Gpcalero's Lil' Sparta Build. (Different forum, don't hate lol).

To be fair, I've had the truck for almost 2 years now, just never bothered to post on the forums until recently. But I've been lurking lmao.

Anyways, I've decided to start a build thread for my rig since it's getting kinda out of hand. It's a 2009 Hummer H3T Alpha with the Adventure package (front & rear electronic locking diffs) & luxury package. The previous owner already had a few mods on it before I bought it like the AMP Research retractable steps, 32-ish gallon auxiliary fuel tank, STARR HIDs, H3T specific fender flares & a 40 series cat back muffler.

Here she is the day I drove her down to FL from Atlanta.

Since I've had it for a while now, I have quite a few mods on it since then. And more coming! I will be slowly compiling my pictures and sharing with you guys.

Image hosting seems to have gotten more annoying since I've last used hosting sites. What are you guys using to host?

Happy to be back in the community!

More to come...
    @Gpcalero • Instagram photos and videos

>The Duke H3T Alpha Build Thread<

'09 Hummer H3T Alpha - "The Duke"

- LS3 Swap & Built 4L60E
    - Rancho 4" Lift Kit,
    Texas Speed 224/236 Cam 111 LSA Camshaft, ECP 2" Aluminum Radiator, SuperModulation Dual eFans, HID Projector Headlights, 32 Gallon Aux. Gas Tank, "312" Method Race Wheels, Firestone Rear-Axle Airbags, Daystar 1" Body Lift.

SOLD -- '09 White H3 - "Lil' Sparta"
    - 35" Trail Grapplers, STARR HIDs, LED taillights, Magnaflow Exhaust, Air Doc CAI, Supermodulation TB, Defenderworx Fuel Door

Hammer Down!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 998 Posts
    Welcome. I have an 09 H3T Alpha Adventure too. Just gave it a Mexican 2-finger oil change today with 5-30 Mobile 1 synthetic.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bigunit; 09-05-2020 at 08:54 PM.
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    John Wayne

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigunit For This Useful Post:

Gpcalero (10-09-2021)

Hammer Down!
    Thanks
    ...another pic...

John Wayne

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigunit View Post
    Welcome. I have an 09 H3T Alpha Adventure too. Just gave it a Mexican 2-finger oil change today with 5-30 Mobile 1 synthetic.

Damn! That's a nice looking T! I like the body matched grille. Might do that in the future.

- LS3 Swap & Built 4L60E
    - Rancho 4" Lift Kit,
    Texas Speed 224/236 Cam 111 LSA Camshaft, ECP 2" Aluminum Radiator, SuperModulation Dual eFans, HID Projector Headlights, 32 Gallon Aux. Gas Tank, "312" Method Race Wheels, Firestone Rear-Axle Airbags, Daystar 1" Body Lift.

- 35" Trail Grapplers, STARR HIDs, LED taillights, Magnaflow Exhaust, Air Doc CAI, Supermodulation TB, Defenderworx Fuel Door

Low Profile
    Thanks
    One of the first things on the to-do list was clean up the STARR HID headlights. They were looking a bit hazy and yellowish when I took her home, so I ordered up a headlight restoration kit from Chemical Guys and cleaned them up.

Name:  broxzXo.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  861.9 KB

For those looking to do this, not hard at all to do, just take your time and it'll come out great.

Name:  Av5PK3J.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  1.04 MB

They came out crystal clear. I was very pleased with the results. No more of that old grungy car look with the yellow hazy lights. One of the additional steps I took was to use a headlight lens clear coating from Meguiar's. I didn't take a picture of it, but it will help your lens finish last longer and adds a layer of protection.

Next up was to fix the actual lights themselves. One of the ballasts ended up falling, so I contacted my buddies from GTR Lighting that I have had great relations with from my last build and bought new 55w ballasts and 5k bulbs. New and old ballasts side by side.

Name:  FuKWTpV.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  1.07 MB

And finally, took a little sunset wheeling trip on some Florida trails.

Name:  ieCMZxK.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  1,011.4 KB

- LS3 Swap & Built 4L60E
    - Rancho 4" Lift Kit,

Hammer Down!
    Thanks
    Nice!

John Wayne

Low Profile
    Thanks

New goodies have arrived.

So this package arrived from Texas Speed & Performance... The Duke is getting a camshaft upgrade!

Name:  8tmnBmB.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  870.9 KB

This is a TSP Stage II truck cam. This is the low lift version (still plenty more than stock) and nothing too crazy because I choose to daily drive The Duke and don't want to put in a converter at this point. Specs are 212/218 duration, .550/.550 lift & opted for the lower 111 LSA option. This does a couple different things for me. 1) it brings the power in sooner/lower in the power band, and 2) the lower LSA will typically "chop" more pronouncedly for that V8 muscle sound. Since it's a truck, I want the power to come in more on the bottom end. Also included was an ARP cam bolt (more on that later) and GM Performance LS6 valve springs to handle the extra lift on this cam.

Then, it was off the the dyno to first put down some baseline numbers. So, off to my buddy's shop where he had an AWD dyno.

Name:  r7jmD4q.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  644.3 KB

Only issue here was that even with the dyno adjusted to it's max AWD length, the wheelbase of the H3T was just too long for it. It was just a few inches short of where we would be comfortable with running it. I wanted AWD numbers to give me a more realistic figure of what the truck would be putting down on an everyday basis, but not a huge issue for me that we could not. Instead, I locked the transfer case in 4-High and removed the front driveshaft. That way it was rear-wheel drive only. From here on out, I'll be dynoing in RWD to measure gains after the cam swap.

Here's a video of one of the runs. This is all I took because the traction control system was being a pain to deal with. Things is more fussy than my Mustang. As some of you may know, the traction control system on some models (I think the later ones) aren't fully defeatable with the traction control switch so it'll like to kick in and toast the brakes, pull power etc. So just take the easy way out and find the traction control fuse and yank that sucker out before you dyno.

And finally, the part we really care about, are the baseline numbers. This is almost completely stock, with the exception of a 40-series muffler and 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers (same size as OEM on this truck but probably heavier).

Put down 218 HP, 247 TQ to the rear wheels. Assuming 300 flywheel HP as advertised, the driveline and tires soak up quite a bit of power.

Name:  ZhKUPhF.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  2.96 MB

With the baseline numbers done, a few more parts are needed to be ordered before install.

Stay tuned!

- LS3 Swap & Built 4L60E
    - Rancho 4" Lift Kit,

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gpcalero For This Useful Post:

amrg (09-09-2020), SlcHummer (09-07-2020)

Low Profile
    Thanks
    I've been thinking about doing the same with my 5.3L for a little extra power. Looking forward to your results. Nice build

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    2009 H3T Alpha OffRoad w/ Tuff Country 4" lift

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DFW Spartan View Post
    I've been thinking about doing the same with my 5.3L for a little extra power. Looking forward to your results. Nice build

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I wouldn't hesitate to do it if I were you. Too easy to pick up some power with all the aftermarket support on the LS-style engines.

- LS3 Swap & Built 4L60E
    - Rancho 4" Lift Kit,

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Im surprised not alot of people do that with the alpha. Heads and cam are pretty easy to do and make a big improvement too

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    06 H3, Birch White, Lux , Cooper AT3 35s, Borla Performance Cat-back, Bilsteins front w/ 1/2" extended stops, Hunner sleeve, Air Doc w/ K&N filter, Oem Roof lights, 55W HID Headlights and 35W Fog lights.

09 H3 V8, Arctic Silver, LS376/480 Conversion, 3000 stall, Custom E-fans, 37" KM3 tires, XD Rockstar Wheels 17x9, OEM Sliders, 40K External Trans Cooler, Bilstein 5160s front 5100 rear, O.D. Steering Bracket, 2" Body Lift, Custom Exhaust, Custom intake pipe & K&N filter, Custom PCM tune, Pioneer DVD unit, Aurora 40" LED Light Bar, 50 W HID Headlights

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amrg View Post
    Im surprised not alot of people do that with the alpha. Heads and cam are pretty easy to do and make a big improvement too

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Amrg, same thoughts here. They are super easy to work on. I'm not sure why more Alpha owners don't try for something other than an intake and tune lol. So many options for these engines.

- LS3 Swap & Built 4L60E
    - Rancho 4" Lift Kit,

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    I put a Comp Cams XFI Xtreme truck cam in when I rebuilt my engine.

Advertised Duration 260/266, Lift .513/.520
    Duration at 050 inch Lift:206 int./212 exh.

Haven't gotten a tune yet, but I do have a HPTuners so I just need to order an email tune. Been running great regardless. Didn't bother with the heads since the ones they used on the Alpha's are pretty darn good as they are from what I have read, apparently they came off the 03-04 Z06 Corvette but with different valves.

With how easy it is to break the driveline, I'm not super interested in turning mine into a beast. That's what a muscle car is for. To each their own though. My Alpha already can haul a$$ pretty dang well as it is.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    2008 H3 Alpha

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - General John Stark

N1JPA

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    I put a Comp Cams XFI Xtreme truck cam in when I rebuilt my engine.

Advertised Duration 260/266, Lift .513/.520
    Duration at 050 inch Lift:206 int./212 exh.

Haven't gotten a tune yet, but I do have a HPTuners so I just need to order an email tune. Been running great regardless. Didn't bother with the heads since the ones they used on the Alpha's are pretty darn good as they are from what I have read, apparently they came off the 03-04 Z06 Corvette but with different valves.

With how easy it is to break the driveline, I'm not super interested in turning mine into a beast. That's what a muscle car is for. To each their own though. My Alpha already can haul a$$ pretty dang well as it is.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Nice!! Upload a video of your idle lol.

And yes, we are lucky, we have the good stock heads that all the hotrodders like. And the pre-2010 Alpha engines are desirable to them too because they are an aluminum Gen IV without all the DOD and flex fuel stuff, so it would be fairly easy to sell a stock motor if you ever wanted to.

- LS3 Swap & Built 4L60E
    - Rancho 4" Lift Kit,

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Nice Truck!!!
    2009 Hummer H3T Alpha

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RamRod For This Useful Post:

Gpcalero (09-10-2020)

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RamRod View Post
    Nice Truck!!!
    Thanks man! Yours as well. Been following it on IG for a while

- LS3 Swap & Built 4L60E
    - Rancho 4" Lift Kit,