• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hummer H3 Third Window Storage Idea

Acer4LO

So Lately I have been watching a lot of Land Rover Defender overlanding videos and I love the idea of having gullwing doors. I think there has some talk about this before, but not much beside that. Anyway I made a render of what a third window storage door may look like on a H3. Not sure if I have the fab skills to do this so if one of you want to try it first that would great! :giggle: I know this wouldn't add a whole lot of room but I think it would be useful to put muddy off road gear or even use it as a pantry or a number of other things. What do you guys think? Would it be worth the trouble?

i-6v8njXg-X3.jpg

i-GGppvBL-X3.jpg

Last edited:

the_real_hacksaw

So Lately I have been watching a lot of Land Rover Defender overlanding videos and I love the idea of having gullwing doors. I think there has some talk about this before, but not much beside that. Anyway I made a render of what a third window storage door may look like on a H3. Not sure if I have the fab skills to do this so if one of you want to try it first that would great! :giggle: I know this wouldn't add a whole lot of room but I think it would be useful to put muddy off road gear or even use it as a pantry or a number of other things. What do you guys think? Would it be worth the trouble?

i-6v8njXg-X3.jpg

i-GGppvBL-X3.jpg

I love the idea although visibility is hard enough as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPaul

Well you can't really see out the back driver side window anyway, unless you really twist far around and crane your neck (which at any speed is really dangerous to do since you could end up turning your wheel or just missing what is right in front of you), but even then you're only going to see something really big at best.

The passenger side is a bit more useful, but honestly not all that much. I use my mirrors and door windows more than the rear windows. Blind spot mirrors are more helpful than trying to look through the rear windows, especially when changing lanes since a small, short car is generally going to be well below the field of vision you get out of those rear windows.

I like the idea of replacing the windows with cubbies. My driver side rear window is looking to become an electrical panel for the rear power. I was originally just going to mount the fuseblock to the rear pillar (such a nice wide spot!) but after thinking about how I'd like to keep it all as clean as possible, I think I'll fabricate a panel to fit in the window well and surface/flush mount most of the components on there and have the wiring behind it as much as possible (probably won't happen with the power feed cables since they are 3/0 from the battery and 2/0 to the chassis for a ground). I'll see about making it so that it just swings down or something for servicing.

the_real_hacksaw

Well you can't really see out the back driver side window anyway, unless you really twist far around and crane your neck (which at any speed is really dangerous to do since you could end up turning your wheel or just missing what is right in front of you), but even then you're only going to see something really big at best.

The passenger side is a bit more useful, but honestly not all that much. I use my mirrors and door windows more than the rear windows. Blind spot mirrors are more helpful than trying to look through the rear windows, especially when changing lanes since a small, short car is generally going to be well below the field of vision you get out of those rear windows.

I like the idea of replacing the windows with cubbies. My driver side rear window is looking to become an electrical panel for the rear power. I was originally just going to mount the fuseblock to the rear pillar (such a nice wide spot!) but after thinking about how I'd like to keep it all as clean as possible, I think I'll fabricate a panel to fit in the window well and surface/flush mount most of the components on there and have the wiring behind it as much as possible (probably won't happen with the power feed cables since they are 3/0 from the battery and 2/0 to the chassis for a ground). I'll see about making it so that it just swings down or something for servicing.

Very true. I guess I was thinking doing it with both third windows. I really like the idea [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoreh3

They make something like that for Jeeps. Maybe you could see how they made it fit. I’ve always liked that idea. Keep up the good work.