• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Steering rack play

H3nightrod

Hello everyone

I am trying to see if I can get some opinions on how much play in the steering rack is considered too much or steering rack failure. My H3 recently was in small front end collision and my steering wheel is off center and the drivers side tire began to rub on the top control arm. I will be taking it to get the alignment done but want to be sure I dont need a new rack or at least be ready for the unexpected cost.

Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.mov
    8.8 MB

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Minimally you need a new bushing. That is too much play. Your tire can essentially move in and out on it's own without any input from the steering. If your tire moved enough to touch the control arm I suspect it's more than an alignment. Check the obvious - bent or broken lower (less likely) or upper (more likely) control arms. Check the mounts to the frame - are they bent? Are the control arms sitting square and tight in the brackets on the frame or are they askew? You might have something as simple as a worn out/destroyed control arm bushing. If it's an upper one, you replace the control arm. If it's a lower one, you can replace the bushings.

If you don't think you can inspect it well yourself, I would take it to a regular repair shop or a collision shop and get it inspected before you pay for an alignment. You should have the tires off of the ground and check for looseness or movement when you grab the tire L/R or top/bottom and move it back and forth.

H3nightrod

Ok so update and parts find.

I finally got the H3 to the shop, so far they are telling me the spindle is bent causing the tire to rub on the upper control arm. Also found my rim is bent.

I do have the Rancho lift and from what I recall the spindle is also from Rancho. Does anyone have a drivers side Rancho spindle for sale or know if these can be purchased separately from Rancho?

All the help is greatly appreciated!!!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The spindles are the hardest item to get. I'd reach out to Rancho but I wouldn't keep my hopes up. Good luck.

JPaul

Do you mean the knuckle? H3's don't have spindles.
If you find a good foundry or blacksmith they might be able to heat the casting and bend it back. Totally guessing on that though, but worth a shot since it's pretty unlikely to be able to source another one.

jshock70

Probationary Member
Ok so update and parts find.

I finally got the H3 to the shop, so far they are telling me the spindle is bent causing the tire to rub on the upper control arm. Also found my rim is bent.

I do have the Rancho lift and from what I recall the spindle is also from Rancho. Does anyone have a drivers side Rancho spindle for sale or know if these can be purchased separately from Rancho?

All the help is greatly appreciated!!!
I have a drivers side for sale if still looking part #176350
1713643502960.png